Ryan Johansen Saga III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
forepar, very eloquently stated. I notice IHZ had no response to reason and reality.

Joey is the "number 1 center" only if he is signed and in uniform. If he is not, then Dubie is Number 1, Anisimov is 2,and Letestu or Wennberg is number three. Joey wants to sit it out? Fine, life goes on. As Forepar so clearly stated Joey and his agent are trying to overthrow the system. They are going to lose, as they should. There is a reason the CBA is set the way it is and it will not be overturned because Joey throws a fit.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Joey broke his ankle and could not start the season, the team would have to adjust. If Joey chooses to behave like he broke his ankle, the team will have to make the same adjustments. It is what Richards and his staff are paid to do. The team is clearly at its strongest if Joey signs. If he does not, life, and the game, goes on.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And Z, I am sure JD and JK are thrilled that Joey would be willing to hurt the team's playoff chances to get more money for himself. JD and JK will want to reward him handsomely for that attitude.

Do you actually read what you post before you post it?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I don't get it. I cheer for the Columbus Blue Jackets, not for the individual players. When Rick Nash was here, I cheered for him because he was a Jacket. Same with Zherdev, Darche, Whitney, Denis etc. Once they were gone, they became a guy on another team.

As a Columbus Blue Jackets fan, I want the team to ice the very best team possible which means I want them to manage the salary cap to allow for the team to keep as many high end players as is possible. Because of this, I support negotiating a contract with any player that is in line with league-wide comparables.

Johansen's requested $6.5 or 7 million position would be in line if he had UFA status. He doesn't. As I posted earlier, comparables place him in the 3.5 - 4 million AAV range.

Why would Columbus Blue Jacket fans want their team to overpay?

thebus2288*

WOW...that's a lot of good information...will have to reread tonight....

To read that and then see the response pretty much says it all.

Honestly though, I don't think the world would come crashing down on us if we had to play Dubinsky on the first line for a while. He had a below average shooting% last season and still managed 50 points while playing a middle 6 role. A bit better shooting from him and perhaps an upgrade in winger talent and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at 20+ goals/~55+ points.

Did the 2012/13 season ever happen? The team did pretty much just as good that year as they did last year. Who was our #1 center then? Dubinsky. Better question... who was our 4th best center that year? Maybe 5th if you count Brassard. The answer is Johansen.

Which forward on our team had the highest TOI/game this past year? Dubinsky. Which center had the highest scoring winger(Atkinson) on his line the majority of the time? Dubinsky. It doesn't matter what your definition is, he didn't play a "middle 6" role and he's not a "middle 6" center.

Johansen had 13 more points in 6 more games. He also had 20 PPP to Dubi's 10. I'm not saying Johansen isn't the most offensively skilled guy on the team or that he doesn't have the highest potential on the team. What I am saying is the last 2 years Dubinsky HAS been our #1 center.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I don't get it. I cheer for the Columbus Blue Jackets, not for the individual players. When Rick Nash was here, I cheered for him because he was a Jacket. Same with Zherdev, Darche, Whitney, Denis etc. Once they were gone, they became a guy on another team.

As a Columbus Blue Jackets fan, I want the team to ice the very best team possible which means I want them to manage the salary cap to allow for the team to keep as many high end players as is possible. Because of this, I support negotiating a contract with any player that is in line with league-wide comparables.

Johansen's requested $6.5 or 7 million position would be in line if he had UFA status. He doesn't. As I posted earlier, comparables place him in the 3.5 - 4 million AAV range.

Why would Columbus Blue Jacket fans want their team to overpay?

Because people are afraid that if we don't give into his demands and make him happy we are going to watch him walk at 27 to Vancouver or some other team willing to back up a truck full of cash for him.

This whole thing really boils down to a few basic factors, but the problem is nobody can agree on which way to interpret those factors. Is he a young superstar who put up 30+ goals with his first real opportunity at top six time? Is he a spoiled lazy kid who put in effort only because this was a contract year and got lucky with a ridiculous shooting %? Is he a valuable member of the locker room or is he still the pouting kid who got benched?

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Well it doesn't get any clearer than that! Jarmo laid it out pretty plainly. Prove it more than just one year, and we will pay you. Nothing ambiguous there. Also, his message that the CBJ will deal with only who ever is at camp is also pretty loud and clear. I love that he called out the agent. Play ball Jarmo. I love it.

If Joey isn't at camp, he has done damage to his standing with this fan.
(Yah, I know he doesn't care, lol)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Folks are saying Joey should sign a bridge deal for a relatively low amount because the organization promises he will get a serious pay increase on his next contract if he continues to play well.

almost like you knew what Portzline would write about today before he wrote it. :)

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
star-wars-emperor-quotes-fetprpnd.jpg

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
This should seal the deal against any arguments for more than $4.5m/year ... even with inflation and the salary caps going up:

The Blue Jackets have offered between $3 million and $3.5 million per season, citing Colorado's Matt Duchene, who signed a two-year, $7 million "bridge" contract with the Avs in 2012, and NY Rangers' Derek Stepan, who signed a two-year "bridge" worth $3.075 last summer.

Kekalainen said Duchene's deal is the largest ever given to a player coming out of his entry-level, excluding players who have signed offer sheets with other clubs

... and I think a $5m/year contract would be fair to both sides. But to suggest that the team should be kept hostage and pay $6.5m/year sends the wrong message.

I think Jarmo nails this interview spot on and does a nice job bolstering his position. I'm one of the biggest Johansen supporters around, but to ask for more than $10 million dollars over the next two years is an unfair stance to take, after only one good year in the NHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I say we sign him for what he wants and then send his butt to Calgary for a #1 and a 2 plus a couple of good prospects. They can afford him and they are going to suck this year so that pick could be a real great player.

Said facetiously but he if it means we can keep Anisimov another year, great.

Seriously, do we want a guy like this around? If he signs in a couple of days great but if he goes Turris or ROR on us then I'd seriously kick the tires on a deal like paragraph one.

I have been a 5.5 mill guy but it doesn't look like the Jackets will do that and in thinking about their logic I can buy it. $4 mill or so would still set the standard for ELC expirations without an extension or offer sheet.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well I take the "he'll start the season on time" thing. This is going to get ugly

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I have a feeling that Overhardt may have met his match with Jarmo. I don't think JK has any problem whatsoever in forging ahead with the season without him. And if he is telling the truth about no more negotiations after camp opens (and I have zero reason to believe otherwise), I can see this going down to the December 1 wire. Is RyJo stupid enough to not fire his agent and sit out an entire season?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
This should seal the deal against any arguments for more than $4.5m/year ... even with inflation and the salary caps going up:

... and I think a $5m/year contract would be fair to both sides. But to suggest that the team should be kept hostage and pay $6.5m/year sends the wrong message.

I think Jarmo nails this interview spot on and does a nice job bolstering his position. I'm one of the biggest Johansen supporters around, but to ask for more than $10 million dollars over the next two years is an unfair stance to take, after only one good year in the NHL.

I don't think Duchene's deal is the largest ever given to a player coming out of his entry-level, excluding players who have signed offer sheets with other clubs. What about all of the deals Edmonton gave their young guys?

Of course, I'm not sure any other team would want to use the Oilers as a model.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
Look at our team and what its doing up north. We now have guys to fill these spots. Ryan is probably or most talented player but he has MUCH to prove. One season after 2 years of floating, does not get you 14 million in 2 years. Like I said. Keep the carrot in front of this kid.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can see why jD brought jarmo in. Man he nailed this interview . Jarmo has facts and prescedent on his side . If Johan doesn't cave and soon , if I'm jarmo , I start fielding trade offers . To ask for 7 mill is an absolute joke and insulting , and probably is a sign of things to come .

thebus2288*

Its Jarmo Kekalainen AND the Bluejackets son!! Couldn't have said it much better myself. This is a team. And the emergence of the team happened a year before the emergence of our new "superstar".

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Look at our team and what its doing up north. We now have guys to fill these spots. Ryan is probably or most talented player but he has MUCH to prove. One season after 2 years of floating, does not get you 14 million in 2 years. Like I said. Keep the carrot in front of this kid.

I think those guys (correct me if I'm wrong) and guys like Jeff Skinner were extended before the end of their ELCs ... maybe that's the difference?

:dunno:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think those guys (correct me if I'm wrong) and guys like Jeff Skinner were extended before the end of their ELCs ... maybe that's the difference?

:dunno:

I think that is exactly what happened. I checked Eberle and Hall they both signed extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad