Ryan Johansen Saga III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IHeartZherdev*

So, Ryan has none?

No, he has a lot. Because the team is a lot worse without him on it. That's his agent's leverage. You don't want to sign my client, good luck playing the Penguins/Rangers/Flyers etc without him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A guy like what exactly?

A guy that is always a pain in the ass at contract time. Who shows more allegiance to his pocketbook than his team. I mean c'mon even you should know that actions speak louder than words and if he continuously asks for the max plus that impacts the salary cap and what can be paid to others. I understand capitalism and I understand that everyone should get what they can but to hold out for a precedent setting contract based on one good year to me smacks of selfishness and delusional thinking.

As a side note, I am beginning to get fed up with all sports because of the salaries, escalating ticket prices, hoodlum athletes and in general a sense of entitlement that most athletes seem to have. Of course, we the paying customer are to blame. If we are willing to pay more they will keep charging more. :rant:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well the other side should certainly know where they stand. Sounds like Johansen's camp is risking something much longer than missing camp.

Certainly not buying that JK would shut the door on negotiations once camp starts, but I don't think they are going to get anywhere close to 4.5 million - never mind 6 or 6.5.

I am not sure what JK is talking about with players coming out of EL deals. Obviously Stamkos and Taveres got some long term high dollar deals. Wonder if it was just based on bridge deals.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I understand capitalism and I understand that everyone should get what they can but to hold out for a precedent setting contract based on one good year to me smacks of selfishness and delusional thinking.

Wait? It would be precedent setting? In which way? I kind of covered that in my other post. That was just a couple of centers I came up with. There are more examples.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not a big fan of the ultra-hardline stance by JK, but it's not my stance to make, and, in principle, I agree with him. But many of the concerns about this situation deal with "what happens when..." but we don't know what will happen then or even between now and then.

I tend to think there is a bit of posturing in there to offset some of the posturing by Overhardt. Having said that I think JK and JD are prepared to head into the season without Johansen.

Everyone kind of realizes that Johansen's value won't increase sitting out.

If Johansen really is deeply offended by this, it's probably best to get what you can and get yourself into arbitration territory. I might look at trying to force them into a 1 year/3 mil deal if they want to go that low. You'll increase your year 2 and maybe year 3 amount if you perform. You might even be able force a long term deal if you put up another 30+ goal season.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
As a neutral observer i have to say that Johansen is wayyy off base here, there is no way he deserves 6,5mil. after one 63 point season.

IHeartZherdev*

A guy that is always a pain in the ass at contract time. Who shows more allegiance to his pocketbook than his team. I mean c'mon even you should know that actions speak louder than words and if he continuously asks for the max plus that impacts the salary cap and what can be paid to others. I understand capitalism and I understand that everyone should get what they can but to hold out for a precedent setting contract based on one good year to me smacks of selfishness and delusional thinking.

"pain in the ass" "selfish" "delusional" - this is the kind of talk that is making me cray cray.

It's a contract negotiation. It's business, and a fairly common business practice at that. After Joey's great season, the Jackets great season, the personal attacks and nonsense coming from fans Joey's way is despicable and will not be forgotten once he's signed and back to hockey.

Are St. Louis fans calling out for Jaden Schwartz to be traded to Calgary because he is still unsigned? Are Detroit Red Wings fans calling Danny Dekyser a spoiled, entitled brat who needs his azz shipped out of town because he is still unsigned? Did Dallas fans call Jamie Benn delusional when he held out into training camp waiting for his new deal? I mean come on - dragged out contract negotiations, even contentious ones, are par for the course in the NHL and it's completely ridiculous to attack a 22 year old kid's character because of one.

Especially when you see the real hoodlums in the NFL, the real athletes with character issues....it just shows you how wrong it is to be going so over the top with the Joey character assassination. Get some perspective y'all.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wait? It would be precedent setting? In which way? I kind of covered that in my other post. That was just a couple of centers I came up with. There are more examples.

In that all of the other RFA's (or potential RFA's) signed their bigger $ contracts as extensions while still under their ELC's. As far as I know and what JK alluded to signing a guy to a $6 million dollar bridge deal after the ELC has expired would be precedent setting.

Do you have examples of guys who signed the big deals after the elc's? I checked a few, the Edmonton guys, Toews but didn't go further.

IHeartZherdev*

Do you have examples of guys who signed the big deals after the elc's? I checked a few, the Edmonton guys, Toews but didn't go further.

There's a ton. Tyler Myers, Jeff Skinner, John Tavares, Evander Kane, Gabriel Landeskog, Drew Doughty, Alex Peitrangelo, Tyler Seguin, Roman Josi, Justin Faulk...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No, he has a lot. Because the team is a lot worse without him on it. That's his agent's leverage. You don't want to sign my client, good luck playing the Penguins/Rangers/Flyers etc without him.

LOL. What is Ryan going to do if he doesn't sign? Sit and make ZERO dollars. He has no leverage. The Columbus may not be as good with him, but they will still be good. Who knows, maybe they will be even better. Ryan has no option other than Columbus, unless someone gives him an offer sheet (hasn't happened) or he wants to play in another league (I doubt he does).

IHeartZherdev*

LOL. What is Ryan going to do if he doesn't sign? Sit and make ZERO dollars. He has no leverage. The Columbus may not be as good with him, but they will still be good. Who knows, maybe they will be even better. Ryan has no option other than Columbus, unless someone gives him an offer sheet (hasn't happened) or he wants to play in another league (I doubt he does).

LOL, yeah, he'll be homeless and living on the streets of vancouver begging for change if he misses the first month on the season. While the CBJ get blown out because they have barely any goal scoring without him.

Recently Jamie Benn and PK Subban both sat. and made ZERO dollars for a couple weeks until their deals got done. Certianly applied leverage/pressure for their deals to get done. Turris sat and got his wish of a trade outta the desert and the new deal he was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I wonder if we will ever get any info on how the other players are handling this once camp starts. Normally I would expect them to back Johansen as players, but at the same time he is jeopardizing the team by holding out for unrealistic money.

IHeartZherdev*

Don't try to confuse him with facts.

Um, the question was:

"Do you have examples of guys who signed the big deals after the elc's? I checked a few, the Edmonton guys, Toews but didn't go further."

I listed guys who signed the big deals after their ELCs. Not sure what your deal is man. I'm the one who responded to your last Joey post with nothing but facts, listing a number of other RFAs that remain unsigned (you can add Darcy Kuemper to that list) which just proves its a common business practice and there is no reason to bash Joey's character over it. You just don't respond to fact based posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m
#CBJ won't do 1 yr deal (arb) or 4 yr deal (UFA). But, after saying they'd only do a bridge, hearing they'll listen to long-term deal.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 41s
That's an interesting wrinkle, but still seems a 2-yr deal is most likely. If they're $3M apart/year on a 2-year deal, imagine the 6-yr gap.

Huge and encouraging news. This is the term framework which should have been the common negotiation ground of both camps from jump street. Jarmo looks to be playing the role of good cop by changing the entire basis of the talks.

The flip to long term over the foolish bridge-only approach should reinvigorate the negotiations. Now, if the Johansen camp is only interested in a bridge, then this obviously won't do a thing to further negotiations, but I highly doubt that is the stance of his negotiating team. If he really wants a bridge only deal, then he wants out of Columbus as soon as he hits UFA status. If that's the case, then Jarmo should take full advantage of the CBA and continue the team's lowball positioning.

The Jackets should put the Skinner 6 year $34 million and change offer on the table. I'd think that Johansen would sign it in a heart beat. A win-win proposition for all. Johansen gets paid fairly and has to give only two years of UFA away. The Jackets get a stud, 6'4", outstanding two-way center who is by far and away the best forward on the team for a significant long term discount.

Portzine's other tweet that the salary gap between the two sides would be greater on the longer term scenario is not accurate in my estimation.

The Montreal Canadiens had reached an impasse with Lars Eller this post season on a bridge deal and Eller ended up signing a 4 year deal which included his first two UFA seasons. So, there already is a precedent (probably more than one) this off season in contentious bridge negotiations ending with a mutually-agreeable longer term deal. Keeping my fingers crossed that the first Portzine tweet is accurate.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

The Johansen negotiations to date:

From Jarmo's perspective..

From Johansen's perspective...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25951-1360639549-1.gif

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There's a ton. Tyler Myers, Jeff Skinner, John Tavares, Evander Kane, Gabriel Landeskog, Drew Doughty, Alex Peitrangelo, Tyler Seguin, Roman Josi, Justin Faulk...

Johansen fits very nicely with this group. His camp knows it. Jarmo and JD know it.

Flip coins over a possible year 7 and the couple hundred thousand per year that will separate each side's offers. Get 'er done.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Johansen fits very nicely with this group. His camp knows it. Jarmo and JD know it.

Flip coins over a possible year 7 and the couple hundred thousand per year that will separate each side's offers. Get 'er done.

Apparently not in Jarmo's eyes. Johansen doesn't quite fit in that group.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Don't buy the long term extension thing at all. It's a hardline thing where Jarmo is saying "You want 7 million per? Fine, sign for 6-8 years." No ay Joey and his agent go for that, IMO.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Don't buy the long term extension thing at all. It's a hardline thing where Jarmo is saying "You want 7 million per? Fine, sign for 6-8 years." No ay Joey and his agent go for that, IMO.

Ahh, why not? You're making it sound like Johansen is a superstar already. 7 million per for 7 years would be more than enough compensation for him, even considering that he might improve over the next couple of years.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Lots of people on HF argue that he's "one hit away from ending his career", and for those who think like that and believe players should grab as much money as possible..
7m x 7 >>> 6.5m x 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad