RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's extremely talented but extremely small. He doesn't play his size though; he's pretty tenacious.

One of my favorite prospects ever. Rocco is so talented. I'm still betting that he plays his way onto the USA WJC team. California represent!

Just posting this for those that haven't seen it:

Rocco is the tiny guy, #23.

Last edited by a moderator:

avalanche45

Jul 11, 2006
From the little I've seen I love his game. His size, of course, may be an issue but he is in arguably the best junior program in the world so he will have a legitimate shot to make it at the next level.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Made the trek up to Timmins to see him (and many others) back in January. Anyone whose ever driven that in January knows that I was cursing Hockey Canada all the way. This tournament was so much more fun to watch when it was in London.

But hey, you're only young, crazy and able to persuade your friends to take stupid car trips in the dead of winter once, right?

All that has led to me agreeing with the emerging consensus. Incredibly skilled, plays with some grit, but his Hobbit-like stature could definitely limit his effectiveness as a pro.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
If any undersized forward could become the next exception to the rule, it's Grimaldi. I think he'll be a standout in the NCAA, but only if he leads all forwards in scoring and plays defense effectively against much bigger competition will he have a shot at the next level. Having said that, it's entirely possible he could accomplish that in a year or two from now. Only time will tell. Definitely not a Major Junior- sized player at this point, although he might be even better than the similarly sized Daniel Erlich (London Knights, undrafted '91 in his second year of eligibility).

Erlich put up 59 points in 68 games for London last year & plus/minus +1. Grimaldi had 20 points in 32 games but was a -19 for the NTDP U17's in the USHL. Having watched them both, I think Grimaldi in two years (if he played in the OHL) could have similar numbers or slightly better than Erlich. Similarities: They both have an uncanny nose for the net. If he's not opening a can up on everyone in the NCAA, however, it's gonna be a tough road to go furhter. But if a full ride to a Division I school is all you get out of hockey, it's a lot more than most.

Grimaldi: 5'6", 160, '93
p3223899.jpg

Erlich: 5'6", 165, '91
download.php

Last edited:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
i wouldn't be surprised to see him play at BC. His size and style of game would fit them perfectly and would fall in the line of gionta, gerbe, atkinson.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
If any undersized forward could become the next exception to the rule, it's Grimaldi. I think he'll be a standout in the NCAA, but only if he leads all forwards in scoring and plays defense effectively against much bigger competition will he have a shot at the next level. Having said that, it's entirely possible he could accomplish that in a year or two from now. Only time will tell. Definitely not a Major Junior- sized player at this point, although he might be even better than the similarly sized Daniel Erlich (London Knights, undrafted '91 in his second year of eligibility).

Erlich put up 59 points in 68 games for London last year & plus/minus +1. Grimaldi had 20 points in 32 games but was a -19 for the NTDP U17's in the USHL. Having watched them both, I think Grimaldi in two years (if he played in the OHL) could have similar numbers or slightly better than Erlich. Similarities: They both have an uncanny nose for the net. If he's not opening a can up on everyone in the NCAA, however, it's gonna be a tough road to go furhter. But if a full ride to a Division I school is all you get out of hockey, it's a lot more than most.

Grimaldi: 5'6", 160, '93
p3223899.jpg

Erlich: 5'6", 165, '91
download.php

Grimaldi is a much better player then Erlich right now, its not even close.

Rocco would have put up McColgan-like numbers if he played on Vancouver last year in the dub.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
When given a chance smaller players can succeed in higher levels of hockey.
Give a me talented small player with the right team than a large "project" with limited skills...

Totally agree with you. The key being "when given a chance." Numbers show that smaller guys are often passed over as they rise through the ranks. By the time they make it to NCAA or Major Junior, no matter how good they are, size is always a consideration. It would be a mistake to say, "not many small guys are drafted, so they must not be good enough." More likely there are a lot of small guys who are very good, but aren't given a chance unless they can really set themselves apart from even the bigger guy. I've said there are execptions and Grimaldi could be the next one, but just look at the numbers:

Out of 1076 players drafted from 2005-2009:
  • 5'6": 1 - Nathan Gerbe (2005)
  • 5'7": 1 - Justin Azevedo (2007)
  • 5'8": 5 - Jordan Kozun & Brandon Schroeder (2009), David Warsofsky, Jared Spurgeon, & Garret Roe (2008),

Odds go up if you can make it to 5'9" (20 players in five years). Grimaldi's young enough. Hopefully, he can put on another 3 inches in the next 24 months, otherwise he'd be only the second player in six years to be drafted (which could happen given his abilities). The trend isn't looking good, though, with kids getting bigger: it's been 5 years since a 5'6" player was drafted. Doesn't look likely this year, either. Every kid should keep his hopes up, but every kid should also consider the chances. Since 2005 less than 2.6% of all drafted players were under 5'9" tall (27/1076). :cry:

azsioux

Jul 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
www.azsioux.com
Brad Schlossman has reported Gramaldi to North Dakota for 2011

Sioux Hockey Blog

UND has landed one of the most coveted recruits in the country.

Californian Rocco Grimaldi sent me a text message this morning simply stating: "I am a North Dakota Fighting Sioux."

Grimaldi was the leading scorer of the U.S. Under-17 team last season. He's only about 5-foot-6 or so, reportedly, but has loads of skill.

Grimaldi's finalists were UND, Denver and Notre Dame.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
"Rocco Grimaldi will play in the NHL" - WHL scout seeing Grimaldi at age 6.

Kay so I guess being a superstar at age 6 means you will autimatically be in the NHL cause 6 year olds don't regress, or improve or grow for that matter at their age.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
The Rocco Grimaldi Thread

Could be the most interesting guy in the draft.

Stands just five-foot-six, but has all the offensive tools in the world.

We currently have him ranked 14th overall (rankings HERE) but given his size he could take a tumble. Then again, if a team really believes in his offensive skill he could even move up.

Should be one of the more interesting players to keep an eye on for all you draft watchers out there.

Dan Stewart, our chief scout, also penned a profile on him which can be read HERE.

So what's your take on possibly the most interesting player in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Then you're absolutely nuts. People say size doesn't matter in the NHL as much ; it does when you are 5 ft 6.

Not for St Louis or Gionta, or even Nate Gerbe, and certainly not for Grimaldi. It literally has no effect on his game, and if you cant see that, then you probably havent seen him play. You basically have to take Couturier, RNH, Landeskog and Larsson ahead of him at this point. If Grimaldi was 5-10 hed be a consensus top 5, but giving him an extra 4 inches wouldnt make his game any better or any worse, it would just "project" his draft spot higher.

Theres a very good chance Grimaldi will have the same productivity as St Louis. I think his lowest projection would be Gionta, and hes a much better player at this point. Would you have taken St Louis in the top 10 in '93? I would have.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Not for St Louis or Gionta, or even Nate Gerbe, and certainly not for Grimaldi. It literally has no effect on his game, and if you cant see that, then you probably havent seen him play. You basically have to take Couturier, RNH, Landeskog and Larsson ahead of him at this point. If Grimaldi was 5-10 hed be a consensus top 5, but giving him an extra 4 inches wouldnt make his game any better or any worse, it would just "project" his draft spot higher.

Theres a very good chance Grimaldi will have the same productivity as St Louis. I think his lowest projection would be Gionta, and hes a much better player at this point. Would you have taken St Louis in the top 10 in '93? I would have.

A very good chance Grimaldi will have the same productivity as St Louis? Im sorry but this is pure hyperbole and bias to its very extreme. St Louis has 6 70 pt + seasons so far, including several top 10 finishes. If not for a late start to his NHL career, he'd be a hall of farmer for certain.

And you think a 5ft 6 17 yr old has a very good chance to have that career? His lowest projection is Giona ; His absolute lowest.
It's not even certain if this draft 20 years from now will even produce one player who will match St Louis's post-lockout form. Im sorry, but this is absolute madness. Yes i'd take St Loius in the Top 10 any draft and i can certainly say that the probability of Grimaldi being close to the level of St Loius is alot lower than "Theres a very good chance".

His size has literally no affect on his game? Brilliant. Now start understanding projections. It's how his 5 ft 6 frame projects against NHL players that matters.

Oh and you mentioned three players. One all-star, one solid player with one elite season and one 23 yr old prospect who has yet to translate his offensive game to the NHL. Not only did you provide the absolute exceptions to the rule of size ; you posted a legitimate two.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
My issue is that the height and weight of prospects are usually exaggerated. If it's claimed that he's 5'6'', how tall is he really? Are we talking about a seventeen year old that only stands 5'4''? That would be a huge issue. You simply cannot be an NHL player at that height.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad