RW Nikita Korostelev - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2015, 185th, TOR unsigned)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
yes i agree, but what about his skating? Is this his main issue?

he's a good skater for a 6'1" player, its more just inconsistency that hinders him from what I've seen. He's got a skillset that rarely falls to the 7th round in his hands/shot/speed combo, puts up crazy highlights from time to time, but doesn't have the production of a future NHL star despite having the talent of one

He's also not a good defensive player and doesn't seem to put up much effort, he'll never see an NHL game for a Babcock team if he doesn't improve that

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't expect Nikita to amount to anything.

I still like the pick, though, getting a guy with his upside in the 7th round is great value. He probably won't hit his upside, but if he doesn't it doesn't really matter - the pick was basically a very cheap lottery ticket.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't expect Nikita to amount to anything.

I still like the pick, though, getting a guy with his upside in the 7th round is great value. He probably won't hit his upside, but if he doesn't it doesn't really matter - the pick was basically a very cheap lottery ticket.

agree, you take that guy 10/10 times and you get 9 Mikhail Stefanovich's and maybe you get lucky once and get a guy on the scale from James Neal to Jamie Benn and you'd happily invest 10 late round picks to get that

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
agree, you take that guy 10/10 times and you get 9 Mikhail Stefanovich's and maybe you get lucky once and get a guy on the scale from James Neal to Jamie Benn and you'd happily invest 10 late round picks to get that

There are plenty of players playing in NHL who were picked in the 7th round and having an impact

Ondrej Palat
Justin Braun
Carl Gunnerson
Jason Demers
Fredrik Anderson ( initially first by Carolina in 7th round)
Patric Hornqvist
Anton Stralman
Troy Brouwer

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There are plenty of players playing in NHL who were picked in the 7th round and having an impact

Ondrej Palat
Justin Braun
Carl Gunnerson
Jason Demers
Fredrik Anderson ( initially first by Carolina in 7th round)
Patric Hornqvist
Anton Stralman
Troy Brouwer

sure, but you just named 8 guys who've come out of the 7th round since 2004, about 360 guys taken in the 7th round since then, really tiny odds of turning out

was just saying that if a lottery ticket like Korostelev falls to you in the 7th round and you know that the overwhelming odds are that he is not an NHL player but has a small chance of being a real impact player (Stralman, Palat, Andersen and maybe Hornqvist from your list would qualify) then you happily take him and count your blessings if he turns out, shrug it off if he doesn't

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
sure, but you just named 8 guys who've come out of the 7th round since 2004, about 360 guys taken in the 7th round since then, really tiny odds of turning out

was just saying that if a lottery ticket like Korostelev falls to you in the 7th round and you know that the overwhelming odds are that he is not an NHL player but has a small chance of being a real impact player (Stralman, Palat, Andersen and maybe Hornqvist from your list would qualify) then you happily take him and count your blessings if he turns out, shrug it off if he doesn't

Do you think the Leafs are treating him like crap because he was picked in the 7th round? Regardless, Players develop at different rates - it's no different than signing a player who went undrafted.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Do you think the Leafs are treating him like crap because he was picked in the 7th round? Regardless, Players develop at different rates - it's no different than signing a player who went undrafted.

I haven't seen any indication that they're treating him badly, seems like he's being treated like any unsigned late round pick who has to prove they're worth a contract on a team where you're going to be up against the contract limit indefinitely

Korostelev has an intriguing ceiling and a top 10 draft pick type skillset (was literally being mocked as a top 10 pick the summer before his draft), but he needs to score consistently and put in an effort on defence. If he keeps up the rate of scoring that he's had since being traded then I think he'll get serious consideration, otherwise I think the leafs continue to wait and see

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

How are they treating him like crap?? Playing him in the CHL?

Majority of CHL players play their Draft +2 years in the CHL.

You do realize Dermott, Nielsen, Timashov were early birthdays and that's the reason they were allowed to play AHL right?

Korostelev is in the same boat as Marner - so NHL or CHL.

If you are talking about a contract, the majority of the 2015 draft class does not have an NHL contract.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So, any chance Leafs don't sign him and he re-enters the draft?

I don't think so, we have Laich, Greening and Michalek coming off the books this offseason. Plus we currently have 1 or 2 players on loan for the marlies who will playe for their original clubs next year. I see no reason Korostolev wont be signed maybe an AHL deal but I think ELC

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I don't think so, we have Laich, Greening and Michalek coming off the books this offseason. Plus we currently have 1 or 2 players on loan for the marlies who will playe for their original clubs next year. I see no reason Korostolev wont be signed maybe an AHL deal but I think ELC

He'd likely go back in the draft rather then take an AHL deal. Not many guys coming out the CHL go the AHL deal route, when he can re-enter the draft and go to a team that may offer him an ELC.

Brooks and Walker will be in unique positions next year as they were drafted as overagers.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He'd likely go back in the draft rather then take an AHL deal. Not many guys coming out the CHL go the AHL deal route, when he can re-enter the draft and go to a team that may offer him an ELC.

Brooks and Walker will be in unique positions next year as they were drafted as overagers.

Bracco as well since he was drafted out of the college stream. We could potentially have some very motivated AHL'ers next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad