RW Nikita Korostelev - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2015, 185th, TOR unsigned)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Macman

May 15, 2004
Skating is the knock on him. Can easily be fixed. Solid pick.

If skating was easily fixed, Cody Hodgson would still have a contract. Some improve marginally, others don't at all.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Skating can be easily fixed, athleticism cannot. Athletic guys with the right body type can turn from poor/average to great skaters. John Tavares is a great example. Bo Horvat as well. Both guys went from slow to fast with hard work.

Cody Hodgson is the kind of guy that struggles to become a great skater because a) he's not overly athletic and b) he doesn't have a great body type for speed.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If skating was easily fixed, Cody Hodgson would still have a contract. Some improve marginally, others don't at all.

Whereas others improve by leaps and bounds (see guys like Tyler Toffoli, Wayne Simmonds, Brian Boyle, etc). Skating is the easiest thing to improve upon from all skills. You see way more people drastically improve skating compared to other skills. Things like hockey IQ don't change much, stuff like skating can change drastically.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
I haven't heard a word about this kid since the Leafs drafted him. Has he been doing alright, or is this pick just an underwhelming one?

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I remember as the 4th round came and went last year that I hoped the leafs would throw a dart with their next pick.
His PPG is down the year following his draft which is a bad sign, unless he's been fighting injury I suppose. Really doesn't seem like anyone other than Konecny can put up big numbers on the Sting, though Chychrun is doing okay for a defenseman.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He was injured coming into the season and missed some time during the season with an injury as well.

No one on Sarnia was producing until Konecny got there. They play a really definsive system.

He's doing fine for a 7th round pick. Expect him to be back with the Sting next season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has great hands and shot, so he has stuff to work with. Key for him getting an NHL deal is improving his skating dramatically and showing more assertiveness. Entering his draft year he was viewed as a potential 1st round guy, but not much has gone right for him in the past 2 years. With Zacha and Konecny potentially gone, it will be his and Kyrou's team.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This kid was ranked to go in the 2nd to 3rd round.... Due to his skating and a deep draft he fell into 7

This year he'll shine because Zacha has moved on. He'll get pp and key situations minutes

- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by Hockeyprospect.com
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #60 by ISS Hockey
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #62 by Future Considerations
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #50 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #69 by TSN/McKenzie

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Was a really good value pick for the leafs. If he has a big season, he'll be giving the team quite a reward for a 7th round pick.

He also turns into a superstar on my NHL16 GM mode :yo:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This kid was ranked to go in the 2nd to 3rd round.... Due to his skating and a deep draft he fell into 7

This year he'll shine because Zacha has moved on. He'll get pp and key situations minutes

- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by Hockeyprospect.com
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #60 by ISS Hockey
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #62 by Future Considerations
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #50 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #69 by TSN/McKenzie

This is why I, and a lot of other people, were excited when we drafted him so late. There's no doubt he has talent, and the tools, if he ever figures it out, and turns into anything, I'll be happy. A 100 point season wouldn't surprise me. If that happens you hope he'd be willing to put in a year in the AHL. Not always easy to ask from a Russian player.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
This is why I, and a lot of other people, were excited when we drafted him so late. There's no doubt he has talent, and the tools, if he ever figures it out, and turns into anything, I'll be happy. A 100 point season wouldn't surprise me. If that happens you hope he'd be willing to put in a year in the AHL. Not always easy to ask from a Russian player.

100 point season is possible I suppose. He's never had a PPG season in Sarnia though, so I highly doubt it despite the hot start. His draft year he cracked the first round in a few mocks mid-season. His shot has always been there. I'll probably have to go to a few more games this year. Sarnia's off to a real good start at 5-1-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad