RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
But so could every NA prospect. There is no reason to believe that a Russian prospect is more likely to pull a move like that than an NA one yet every Russian prospect gets questions about their character and willignes to move over to NA.

I think that will be talked about in pre draft interviews and I am sure it will all be sorted out quickly.
Uhh, what? NA prospects don't have another professional hockey league (the 2nd best in the world) to play in and make a serious living like Russian prospects do. Also there is the matter of moving to an entirely different continent where they speak a different language and have significantly different cultures. Canada to US or vice versa isn't really much of a culture shock at all despite being different countries. Russia to US or Canada is a HUGE life move. I think the concerns with Russian prospects not coming over are blown out of proportion by many but they are real concerns which don't apply to US/Canada prospects. But I certainly would apply them to Finns, Czechs, Swedes, etc. too not just Russians. Not a character thing, just the reality that it is a massive life move that some very talented hockey players may not want to ever make.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Funny shit I noticed while watching the game vs Torpedo. For Sochi forwards it's easier to get the puck from opponents than from their own defensemen who didn't mostly even try to pass, but just threw the puck away out of the defensive zone. The team isn't even horrible. It's some kind of a clown show with sticks and the puck. It's probably how would an average AHL team look in the NHL...

Reactions: BMann

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yeah that's also part of it as well. There's a lot of factors at play with drafting Russian talent right now, more so than existed even a few years ago and that complicates things a lot. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out because there's so much uncertain with drafting a player like Michkov high that it might scare away some teams.
As it should in Michkov's case. In a deep draft like 2023 it's a big risk of for a GM to spend a 1st on a Russian. What if Russians are banned from Canada and/or the US. If the Canadiens end up with 2 high 1st rounders they could afford to take a chance on him.

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Areas which some may consider weaknesses have actually looked like strengths. (Forecheck, d-zone awareness).
He often skives off defensively, but I don't think it's because he doesn't know what to do, like stereotypical 1-way winger. Sochi is just a very depressing team, so i can understand lack of motivation.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As it should in Michkov's case. In a deep draft like 2023 it's a big risk of for a GM to spend a 1st on a Russian. What if Russians are banned from Canada and/or the US. If the Canadiens end up with 2 high 1st rounders they could afford to take a chance on him.

It's also a big risk to pass on Michkov and take a player who is less good because of expediency.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Uhh, what? NA prospects don't have another professional hockey league (the 2nd best in the world) to play in and make a serious living like Russian prospects do. Also there is the matter of moving to an entirely different continent where they speak a different language and have significantly different cultures. Canada to US or vice versa isn't really much of a culture shock at all despite being different countries. Russia to US or Canada is a HUGE life move. I think the concerns with Russian prospects not coming over are blown out of proportion by many but they are real concerns which don't apply to US/Canada prospects. But I certainly would apply them to Finns, Czechs, Swedes, etc. too not just Russians. Not a character thing, just the reality that it is a massive life move that some very talented hockey players may not want to ever make.

Dont get me wrong, its for sure a different situation with russians and especially with the war going on, but as you said its blown way out of proportion.

Lindros, Fox and countless others are all prospects who didn't want to play for the team that drafted them. Thats always a risk and I dont think Russians are more likely to pull this card. If they are bubble players however I agree that there is a higher risk of losing them to russia. Then again, if he becomes a bubble player its a disappointment anyway.

If you think he is the BPA I really don't see a reason why he shouldnt be drafted. The only valid argument would be the fear of Russians getting banned by the NHL, but the way they promoted Ovis 800th doesnt make me feel like they are planning to do that anytime soon.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Michkov Will Go second in the draft. No GM will Pass on Michkov after Bedard is gone. No Team needs at Amy Costa a Player from this draft Not named Bedard and Michkov. Its a pity that Michkov and Bedard hadnt even the Chance to compete against each Other. That would made It a little more easier to compete both Players. Michkov already Said in the Past that one das He would come playing in the NHL. When next year Michkov Will be one of the best forwards of the khl, He will come Over sooner than expected.

To compare both players

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Michkov Will Go second in the draft. No GM will Pass on Michkov after Bedard is gone. No Team needs at Amy Costa a Player from this draft Not named Bedard and Michkov. Its a pity that Michkov and Bedard hadnt even the Chance to compete against each Other. That would made It a little more easier to compete both Players. Michkov already Said in the Past that one das He would come playing in the NHL. When next year Michkov Will be one of the best forwards of the khl, He will come Over sooner than expected.

To compare both players
They have played against each other - it was a close game but Bedard and Canada bested Michkov and Russia.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Whether or not he has the talent to go 2nd, this is extremely false. Not all GMs have the job security to wait for Michkov to come over, when they could have Fantilli potentially on their team next year or the year after.

If this U20 is showing one thing than that no GM should overthinking and pick Michkov after Bedard. A GM hoping someone out of Fantilli or Carlsson will make immediate (or in the near future) impact on an NHL team should be rightfully be fired.

For Michkov I wish MJs #3.

They have played against each other - it was a close game but Bedard and Canada bested Michkov and Russia.
And Michkov was twice the best player on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: The Puckhound

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
yeah
I still think he's easily the second best player in the draft.
Me too, neither of Fantilli or Carlsson have given me any evidence they are on Michkov's level. Watch his highlights from the few world Jr games last year before cancellation and you'll see a player that's clearly a much more dynamic one than either. Small sample size, sure - but Michkov has basically done that at every level. The only "level playing field" we have between them is some WJC play, and Michkov was better a year ago than either of them are today. He's had a lot go against him in terms of exposure, and had to deal with injuries, but I don't think I would hesitate to say he is the 2nd best prospect in this draft. Its going to be interesting how high he does go, but I would not even be shocked if it was #2, we've seen guys like Owen Power and Beniers go in the top 2 when its known they have to wait at least a year, so for a prospect of Michkov's calibre the right team might make the move

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Whether or not he has the talent to go 2nd, this is extremely false. Not all GMs have the job security to wait for Michkov to come over, when they could have Fantilli potentially on their team next year or the year after.
I think you overestimate the importance of a Single draft. If WE are talking about Players Like Michkov or Bedard, OK. If a GM doesnt Take one of the two If He has the Chance, He is done. But for the Rest....there is a Lot more...and every Franchise has already a Lot of Prospekts and every year there is a draft.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think you overestimate the importance of a Single draft. If WE are talking about Players Like Michkov or Bedard, OK. If a GM doesnt Take one of the two If He has the Chance, He is done. But for the Rest....there is a Lot more...and every Franchise has already a Lot of Prospekts and every year there is a draft.
But in Michkov's case, he is under contract for 3 more years in the KHL. Does a GM know if he will still be working for that same team in 2026? Normally if he's drafting 2nd overall, that means he could be on short leash already considering his team is doing poor. 2nd overall picks are usually also in the NHL in the first year or two, so waiting 3+ is risky,

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Canada won,thats true but Bedard did Not best Michkov. If i am Not mistaken, Michkov won the scoring Titel, Scored the Most Goals and was elected MVP of the tournement. So i dont agree that Bedard at that tournement bested Michkov.

Reactions: ViD

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
But in Michkov's case, he is under contract for 3 more years in the KHL. Does a GM know if he will still be working for that same team in 2026? Normally if he's drafting 2nd overall, that means he could be on short leash already considering his team is doing poor. 2nd overall picks are usually also in the NHL in the first year or two, so waiting 3+ is risky,
Ok, i understood what you are saying. But lets say you are the GM and you can choose second. You choose Fantili or Simeone Else instead of Michkov?May be Fantili plays next year in the NHL but sorry Guys, you have so WHO Scores how much? Fantili is not a superstar in the making. May be i wrong, Fantili or Simeone Else will BE NHL Stars for many years. But this is an equally high risk Like selecting Michkov second, hoping that He Comes Over in the next three years and that He is really that good.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
If this U20 is showing one thing than that no GM should overthinking and pick Michkov after Bedard. A GM hoping someone out of Fantilli or Carlsson will make immediate (or in the near future) impact on an NHL team should be rightfully be fired.

For Michkov I wish MJs #3.

And Michkov was twice the best player on the ice.

Bedard was significantly more impressive the last time the two faced off.

He's a tier above Michkov at this point, at least.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would still take him 2nd. This is a special player.

But GMs do have to be conscious of their timeline more than fans do. There's a decent chance whoever takes him is just setting up their successor for success. One of the rare times I would hope my owner would step in and force the right choice.

Reactions: Shark Finn

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yep.

Said in another thread it’s going to be incredible difficult for Gm’s who’s jobs are on the line to pass elite C prospects to pick him and maybe see him in 3 years time

Columbus is taking a C 100% at 2nd overall, would pretty much say the same for Chicago

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yep.

Said in another thread it’s going to be incredible difficult for Gm’s who’s jobs are on the line to pass elite C prospects to pick him and maybe see him in 3 years time

Columbus is taking a C 100% at 2nd overall, would pretty much say the same for Chicago

I don't personally see anything elite in Fantilli and Karlsson but it's gonna be a problem of teams that pick them and those teams' fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad