RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 5

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I said it on draft day. 5 teams made an unbelievable mistake here. Michkov is more valuable than any combination of 2 players from picks 2-6. He will be an absolute superstar and top 5-10 player in this league. Signed - frustrated Rangers fan
As a Habs fan, I agree!!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Maybe not his best, but only 2 points is kind of deceptive. His line produced 6 goals and he assisted on the 7th on the PP, and his zone entries and setup passes were instrumental in like 5 of them. He is the Flyers offense, period.
I guess that explains why the Flyers are 2-5-1 even after a win

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Posted all of this and yet the point still stands
So you would take Michkov over Fantilli AND Carlsson? You sure?
He looks good, but he doesn't look Michkov good. And it's his 2nd NHL season...
Doesn’t matter. They both 19 years old. They is not alternate universe that exist where Michkov goes ahead of Carlsson or Fantilli in a re-draft.

That says more about how good and how deep this draft was. There seems to be at least 3 stars with plenty of other prospects who could get there eventually.

Edit: Maybe he does get ahead of Fantilli but no chance he gets ahead of 6’3 Carlsson (C)

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I wouldn't compare a single prospect to Barkov. He had all the skill and obvious size when young with a bit heavy skating as his issue. He later on fixed that.
But the thing is, his arsenal is one of the broadest in the league if not the broadest. Skill, size, responsibility, and most of all he plays a winning type of hockey. Not only to showcase his own skill and greatness. Therefor I wouldn't compare prospects to him because that's not fair to expect. His game is so well rounded, effective, calculated and skillfully impressive. You can't expect that from most if any youngster.

Just to make it clear how good and important Barkovs roles in teams are? Finland could absolutely upset and win a best-on-best tournament. But some factors would be needed, and one of them would be a performing Barkov. He would be the most important factor with a goalies performance. Followed by Heiskanen and then Rantanen. And then followed by a overall sound and good two-way team game. He's more important than McDavid for Canada or any american for their team. And he is that for a upset contender. That should say a lot about his abilities.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I wouldn't compare a single prospect to Barkov. He had all the skill and obvious size when young with a bit heavy skating as his issue. He later on fixed that.
But the thing is, his arsenal is one of the broadest in the league if not the broadest. Skill, size, responsibility, and most of all he plays a winning type of hockey. Not only to showcase his own skill and greatness. Therefor I wouldn't compare prospects to him because that's not fair to expect. His game is so well rounded, effective, calculated and skillfully impressive. You can't expect that from most if any youngster.
You could literally say the same about Carlsson. Big body, never cheat defensively, good stick, good positioning and explosive offensively.

This guy is never going to put up 120 points but he’s going to win multiple Selke and at least a cup.
All except for yesterday, I tune in to keep eyes on Cutter
And you don’t see any resemblance with Barkov style of play?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
You could literally say the same about Carlsson. Big body, never cheat defensively, good stick, good positioning and explosive offensively.

This guy is never going to put up 120 points but he’s going to win multiple Selke and at least a cup.

Perhaps. But for now I see Barkov as unique. Lundells game reminds of Barkov just a much as Carlsson, with the differential size of course. Lundell of course older but for now? Also better... He hadn't have the opportunities before just because of Barkovs greatness.
Therefor I would chill with that great of a comparison. He's not really earned it yet, even if you see similar strengths.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The "weird narrative" of Michkov's "cult" has been proven correctly about everything else about him, much to the dismay of his detractors.

We've reached such weird desperation levels that spurned franchises are now deliberating over his listed height and weight to somehow rationalize to themselves that Michkov is not the player he's purported to be. I'd feel sorry if it wasn't so pathetically funny.
What if the guy we're watching play isn't actually Matvei Michkov?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I absolutely agree. Demidov D+1 is blowing out Michkov’s D+1 so far and that says a lot since Michkov D+1 was almost historical. Two future stars.

Anyway, back to Michkov. I’m impressed with how he’s been handling himself since the start of the year. He’s as advertised. Excellent motor and great IQ/Vision with a lot to improve defensively. He will be a dream for fans and gray-hair inhibitor for coaches.

I do look forward to follow him through his long and fruitful career
He’s still behind Michkov per game pace not to mention his NHL production .. take your victory lap if / when he tops either of Kaprizov Or Michkov over an entire ( or large sample if injury / sickness etc ) season worth of games

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Wow he looks real small for 190.
He’s thick. Was thick on draft day too

Maybe not his best, but only 2 points is kind of deceptive. His line produced 6 goals and he assisted on the 7th on the PP, and his zone entries and setup passes were instrumental in like 5 of them. He is the Flyers offense, period.
This.

When he’s on the ice everyone is like “ok it’s time to try and score” and when not it’s like “ok let’s just survive until Michkov is on the ice again.”

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
Nope, I think that their style of play and approach are completely different. The don’t even resemble each other that much. Barkov has a gritty hard nose approach and is a complete hound defensively while Carlsson is smooth with a developing all around game

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
He’s still behind Michkov per game pace not to mention his NHL production .. take your victory lap if / when he tops either of Kaprizov Or Michkov over an entire ( or large sample if injury / sickness etc ) season worth of games

Taking a bow if he passes Michkov’s pneumonia ridden season is a flex I guess.. They should just enjoy having a very good prospect and stop trying to force him down everyone’s throat

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Demidov is not equal to Michkov, you can't scream, jump up or down. or throw your hands around to change it, these people can't comprehend reality, "ignore", and please just talk to rational people that talk puck. Stop responding to irrational, desperate posters. Lol, as hilarious as it is to watch them squirm.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

How are we supposed to compare their NHL production exactly?

Demidov is not equal to Michkov, you can't scream, jump up or down. or throw your hands around to change it, these people can't comprehend reality, "ignore", and please just talk to rational people that talk puck. Stop responding to irrational, desperate posters. lol
That I agree. Demidov is a bit superior to Michkov. Both are future superstars though

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
When he’s on the ice everyone is like “ok it’s time to try and score” and when not it’s like “ok let’s just survive until Michkov is on the ice again.”
I think that says more about the lack of elite talent in the Flyers organization than Michkov itself. Last year seems to have been a fluke but the good news is the Flyers are where they are supposed to be right now. They need an infusion of high end talent pretty much everywhere especially at RHD and C - The hardest positions to fill - before thinking about being competitive again.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Once again all this while playing with the effects of long pneumonia.

The constant comparing to Michkov’s Unhealthy D+1 season is odd to me
You could argue that Demidov has missed the entirety of the summer (no training/cardio) and about 3/4 of the training camp with a leg/ankle injury and it’s probably still affecting/bothering him a little bit. I’ve also never heard of long pneumonia. Antibiotics takes care of pneumonia pretty well - especially for young people - and they’re back at 100% within two weeks max.

I’m not sure how else you could compare both D +1 season if not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad