RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I am pretty confident the leash will be long, not infinite, but long.

That said I am also confident that Michkov will get benched at some point this season. However, l doubt it will be a recurring thing. Nor do I think it will be some majorly dramatic situation like PLD, Laine, and Vinny Lecavalier. I think when he is benched it will likely be the mundane reason most players get benched. Which is... sometimes even the best players have bad games. During those times a ride on pine pony is all you can really do for the player and team. When that moment comes, Michkov likely will accept the bench and play better next game. It happened last season in Sochi. Played Awful. Rode Pine. Bounced back better than ever. No drawn out drama

If anyone deserves the bench badly it's Tippett. Michkov's out there blocking shots, doing everything. He's shown up - some of his teammates... not so much. His offensive sense is already beyond most of his teammates. So many of his feeds right on the platter, but not converted. If some chemistry develops there then watch out. But that will take time.

Reactions: MrGuyPerson

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
From age 16 through 18 I think he appeared to be on less of a steep trajectory. His skating and his physique did not improve much.

Nothing is in set in stone, correct, maybe you'l be right that he'll be better. But the point I was making is that how they compared at age 16 at Frisco isn't that relevant. It's not some weird thing if they stop being comparable players.

Homeboy smoked KHL U20 records in consecutive seasons and he’s already improved the Flyer PP exponentially while generational Bedard had the NHL’s 112th-most productive rookie season and on a 23-win team no less.

There is no gap until we actually see one.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If anyone deserves the bench badly it's Tippett. Michkov's out there blocking shots, doing everything. He's shown up - some of his teammates... not so much. His offensive sense is already beyond most of his teammates. So many of his feeds right on the platter, but not converted. If some chemistry develops there then watch out. But that will take time.
Tippett is an absolute disaster. Personally, I wouldn’t want a linemate like him, the dude doesn’t pass and takes shots from very bad angles or simply misses the net a lot

Reactions: kp61c and antman12

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So the question remains — why was there a decrease? Made no sense at the time and more so in retrospect. The anti-Russian rhetoric from the Canadian media, coupled with the CHL and IIHF bans paints a pretty clear picture in my book.

If Canadian teams want to cloud their thinking with anti-Russian politics, I say let them. I think it's funny. They get David Reinbacher and his rickety knees. A complete self-own.

I notice Arizona/Utah was mentioned a few times in this thread. Only God really knows what they were thinking and it doesn't really matter. I think they were just insecure. From what I've heard, they took Simashev because they developed a good rapport with him and his agent; he speaks good English and there were assurances made that he would come over. They were probably terrified Michkov would give them the cold shoulder and never leave the warm embrace of mother Russia. Apparently he never shook their hand and told them that it's his dream to play in Phoenix. Maybe they like insincerity, some people do. Today Michkov is an NHLer while Simashev is still in the KHL. He's a good, stay-at-home player. He will speak good English for them for many years, block lots of shots and he has that charming smile the ladies love.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Homeboy smoked KHL U20 records in consecutive seasons and he’s already improved the Flyer PP exponentially while generational Bedard had the NHL’s 112th-most productive rookie season and on a 23-win team no less.

There is no gap until we actually see one.
Quite sad that people feel the need to keep trying to drag Bedard down in this thread to boost Michkov, who is doing just fine without the shade

Put another way, last season Bedard was more productive (both raw totals and per game) than Michkov while playing in a better league at a younger age on a team that scored less often and was worse relative to the competition

When Bedard didn't register a point, including during his injury, the team was literally shut out twice as often as they won. He was the sole focal point of the best defenders in the world night in and night out- Michkov, wonderful as he is, can't claim to have faced that level of competition- and put up the 3rd best points per game rate for his age since the 80s behind only McDavid and Crosby. It's fair to perceive a gap between Michkov and Bedard for now while keeping the possibility open that the gap will close

He did stink defensively as an 18 year old with ridiculous matchups every night but he developed a high end summer training plan with Kyle Davidson (aka shipping out more than a half dozen AHL caliber players and replacing them with actual NHLers so the team isn't constantly chasing the puck) and now he's a net positive defender through five games. Magic

Last edited:

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Quite sad that people feel the need to keep trying to drag Bedard down in this thread to boost Michkov, who is doing just fine without the shade

Put another way, last season Bedard was more productive (both raw totals and per game) than Michkov while playing in a better league at a younger age on a team that scored less often and was worse relative to the competition

When Bedard didn't register a point, including during his injury, the team was literally shut out twice as often as they won. He was the sole focal point of the best defenders in the world night in and night out- Michkov, wonderful as he is, can't claim to have faced that level of competition- and put up the 3rd best points per game rate for his age since the 80s behind only McDavid and Crosby. It's fair to perceive a gap between Michkov and Bedard for now while keeping the possibility open that the gap will close

He did stink defensively as an 18 year old with ridiculous matchups every night but he developed a high end summer training plan with Kyle Davidson (aka shipping out more than a half dozen AHL caliber players and replacing them with actual NHLers so the team isn't constantly chasing the puck) and now he's a net positive defender through five games. Magic
Michkov has played 4 NHL games and he's PPG as a rookie, the KHL and the NHL are different leagues, stop comparing them. And everyone f***ing relax with the Bedard comparions make a general thread about them to compare this is crazy.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Tippett has been completely horrific tbh, yeah it's bad. I liked his chemistry with Frost only because from has like 1/4 of his creativity it seems to mesh somehow, but not super well. Guy needs another talented player to work with, but who knows when that'll come.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
are you a closet flyers fan? and using the blackhawks profile pic as a defense mechanism response to the pain from the traumas?? There is some South Philly anger in your post here.... :)

hopefully one day Kucherov becomes Michkov-lite...... zinggg.

Let us have something Dear Hockey Gods.
I became a partial Flyers fan while living in philly for college, i have no allegiance to any current Flyer on the roster. Most on here would consider me more or less a Giroux fan than a Flyers fan.

That being said, i've been high on Michkov for years so i am glad the Flyers drafted him as they're still my "second team". I don't much talk about the Hawks on here due to being smart enough to know the clear biases that most fans on here have and expose themselves with.

Defense mechanisms, "south philly anger", traumas" looks like you struck out completely on one pitch.

Capable passer. Im done

View attachment 911940
Yeah i'm not even responding to the dude anymore, he's gone full Pejorative Slur when it comes to Michkov

Reactions: SaSaShi

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Michkov is undersized, against full NHL lineups, it will show up more. Time and space are everything. It's clear you don't understand why some prospects can struggle. Dominant? WTF.
So you haven't watched a minute of him this season eh? I don't understand that prospects can struggle, given i have actual scouting experience?

Michkov is already 192 lbs at 5'10", he's very strong on the puck and knows how to protect it. The whole "undersized" thing is a myth busted at this point, his size will not be any type of factor.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
There are quite a few people in here saying the same thing. I don't quite recall this happening for another prospect of this perceived caliber. Some are doing a better job of identifying what he does well and what he doesn't... like... the passing and vision is undoubtedly his best quality

But .. the smoke and fire connection is made for a reason. Maybe we shouldn't expect this kid to be Kucherov
Maybe we shouldn't... because it's unfair, however i do. I expect him to be that good. Michkov is just so far ahead of Kucherov as a prospect age for age and has every attribute that makes Kucherov who he currently is today, it's hard not to look at it as being linear, even though there is countless examples of this logic being flawed.

I expect Michkov to be a top 5 forward for most of his career/prime

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
So you haven't watched a minute of him this season eh? I don't understand that prospects can struggle, given i have actual scouting experience?

Michkov is already 192 lbs at 5'10", he's very strong on the puck and knows how to protect it. The whole "undersized" thing is a myth busted at this point, his size will not be any type of factor.
michkov was rocked pretty hard last game. being on the smallish side surely doesn't help. if they keep accumulating these hits will take their toll on him.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe we shouldn't... because it's unfair, however i do. I expect him to be that good. Michkov is just so far ahead of Kucherov as a prospect age for age and has every attribute that makes Kucherov who he currently is today, it's hard not to look at it as being linear, even though there is countless examples of this logic being flawed.

I expect Michkov to be a top 5 forward for most of his career/prime

I don't even see the people you're responding to anymore, I muted/ignored the people that have such uneducated opinons its exhausting to read. lol. Or let's call it like it is, absolute jealous haters. Having realistic critism is completely fine but Habs homers and other people who are just pissed their team didn't draft Michkov, it's insane, why respond. Imagine tearing into a 19 year old because your team didn't draft him or you don't like the Flyers, the kid is PPG in the NHL as a teenager / rookie, what do you want? lol.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
michkov was rocked pretty hard last game. being on the smallish side surely doesn't help. if they keep accumulating these hits will take their toll on him.
You mean illegally boarded? Yeah, that can happen to any player in the league

I don't even see the people you're responding to anymore, I muted the people that have such uneducated opinons its exhausting to read. lol. Or let's call it like it is, absolute jealous haters. Having realistic critism is completely fine but Habs homers and other people who are just pissed their team didn't draft Michkov, it's insane, why respond.
i feel like most of them are just mad Habs fans. I find the true fans of the sport appreciate what he is.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
You mean illegally boarded? Yeah, that can happen to any player in the league

i feel like most of them are just mad Habs fans. I find the true fans of the sport appreciate what he is.

There are also decent Habs fans that aren't talking ridiculous about Michkov. It's unfortunate a few make the many look bad.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
How is it a goal 8/10 times? When Michkov made that pass TK's stick was literally sat on by the entire force of a man's weight and strength. How is TK going to get it in the net? Have you ever played hockey like lol
natural born hater/pessimist here.

you definitely have Dallas Cowboy fan energy coming from you lmao

Just hilarious how I’ve been saying he’s slow since before the draft and everyone on here seemed to take issue with that…until now. Further proof that this place is full of pretenders who have no clue what they are talking about and never watch these guys until they set foot on NA ice.
You've been wrong since before the draft, and still are. He's nowhere near "slow", he's just not fast. He has very average speed.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Just hilarious how I’ve been saying he’s slow since before the draft and everyone on here seemed to take issue with that…until now. Further proof that this place is full of pretenders who have no clue what they are talking about and never watch these guys until they set foot on NA ice.
You've been wrong since before the draft, and still are. He's nowhere near "slow", he's just not fast. He has very average speed.
The thread has moved on to the barganing stage of depression after putting so many unrelistic expectations and pressure on this kid. Preseason and Russian hockey are totally different thatn what he is experiencing now.

In his defense, not being able to play against the best of his peers has hurt his development. I sitll think sometime in the AHL would do him so good.
He's leading his team in points and is at PPG, he's been the best forward so far. He's Thriving.... what are you saying?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
There are also decent Habs fans that aren't talking ridiculous about Michkov. It's unfortunate a few make the many look bad.
of course. I think by in large Habs have the most knowledgeable fans in the sport. That wasn't meant as a shot at the entire fanbase, just the hating loonies that every fanbase has, theirs are pretty extreme

so illegal it wasn't even called.
so missed calls are now legal?

It's not a crime unless you're caught eh?

Big OJ guy over here.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
of course. I think by in large Habs have the most knowledgeable fans in the sport. That wasn't meant as a shot at the entire fanbase, just the hating loonies that every fanbase has, theirs are pretty extreme

so missed calls are now legal?

It's not a crime unless you're caught eh?

Big OJ guy over here.

Truth! haha thats why it's easier to ignore people that unable or unwilling to be rational. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad