RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That's why Torts and his teammates love him. Blocking shots, going to dirty areas, not a diva by any means

First NHL 3v3 I believe too, which is almost a different game tactics wise
3v3 is such a waste of time. will never be useful in the playoffs unless both teams get penalized enough at the same time. makes no sense why we even use it. doesnt even make the game more exciting. makes it more boring. all that room n nothing ever happens

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I get it, he's your guy. But getting salty at legitimate criticism doesn't change the fact that he blew it.. He can play responsibly 98% of the time, but if the time he chooses to peel off is when Draisaitl is flying down the middle of the ice on his way to an OT winner, then he needs to be held responsible.

FYI, I've watched most of Philly's games against Calgary and Edmonton, and bits of the game against Vancouver. Considering that encompasses Michkov's entire career so far, your assertion couldn't be any more false. This is his first error that cost them a game, but again, we're only 3 games in. If you want to make the argument that the good outweighs the bad, I'll listen, but if you're going to pretend that there is no bad, well, keep your head in the sand if that's what you want to do - it's your life.
We get it, he made a mistake, first of many....just like every single NHL player......especially at 19.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Habs made a mistake for sure, and they probably got the worst player in the top 10, but every team other than Chicago also made a mistake. I don’t know why it’s acceptable to shame them, but not all the other teams.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I get it, he's your guy. But getting salty at legitimate criticism doesn't change the fact that he blew it.. He can play responsibly 98% of the time, but if the time he chooses to peel off is when Draisaitl is flying down the middle of the ice on his way to an OT winner, then he needs to be held responsible.

FYI, I've watched most of Philly's games against Calgary and Edmonton, and bits of the game against Vancouver. Considering that encompasses Michkov's entire career so far, your assertion couldn't be any more false. This is his first error that cost them a game, but again, we're only 3 games in. If you want to make the argument that the good outweighs the bad, I'll listen, but if you're going to pretend that there is no bad, well, keep your head in the sand if that's what you want to do - it's your life.
You have no idea what the team's OT strategy is, if someone on the bench called for him to change, or any sort of context whatsoever. I have watched plenty of the games and there has hardly been ANY semblance of a defensive deficiency. In fact, his commitment to backchecking and winning board battles and blocking shots has stood out.

Seems his teammates love his defensive work too:

'After the first goal, Oilers coach Kris Knoblauch challenged for goalie interference, delaying it from becoming official. When it was, Michkov gave an emphatic fist pump before he was mobbed on the bench by his teammates who were within range. Garnet Hathaway, seated next to Michkov, promptly circled him with a right arm and gave him a couple of slightly violent but loving shakes.

“You could see how excited he was,” Hathaway said. “It’s infectious too, right? And he brings it every day.”

In a room in which the Flyers value hard work above all else — they have to if they’re going to stay in games, particularly against teams like Edmonton — Michkov has fit right in.

Hathaway, Konecny and Tortorella all mentioned after the game that while they were impressed and pleased with Michkov’s pair of goals, they noticed he was out there playing hard in other areas of the ice, too. Michkov was credited with a pair of blocked shots, including one on Mattias Ekholm with 4:09 to go in the third period with the Flyers still clinging to a 3-2 lead before Evan Bouchard forced overtime.

“His skill is what is going to lead him, plus his compete,” Hathaway said. “It’s nice to see him rewarded. … Are you getting chances, are you creating, and are you responsible in your own zone? I think he’s checking all those boxes.”

Said Tortorella: “He’s a dynamic player. … He’s out there blocking shots, also. Doing all the other stuff that creates that team camaraderie, that team concept. So, that’s really important.”'

Winger Crosby in the OZ...
Always been my comp for his playstyle and scoring style too

Reactions: NatusVincere

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The Habs made a mistake for sure, and they probably got the worst player in the top 10, but every team other than Chicago also made a mistake. I don’t know why it’s acceptable to shame them, but not all the other teams.
I guess because the top 4 went with safe center options and are kinda justified and Arizona was just a mess

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I guess because the top 4 went with safe center options and are kinda justified and Arizona was just a mess
The margins are thin in this league. Michkov vs. some good player who isn’t as good could be the difference between making the playoffs or not or winning the Cup or not.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The margins are thin in this league. Michkov vs. some good player who isn’t as good could be the difference between making the playoffs or not or winning the Cup or not.
Nonsense , you need plenty of players to win cups , including big centers , Is Panarin helping the rangers win the cup single handedly even if he scores 120 regular season points?

I'm a big Michkov fan but poopooing the 2 best centers in the draft isin't the way to get your point across. It takes a village , not just one offensive dynamo

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nonsense , you need plenty of players to win cups , including big centers , Is Panarin helping the rangers win the cup single handedly even if he scores 120 regular season points?

I'm a big Michkov fan but poopooing the 2 best centers in the draft isin't the way to get your point across. It takes a village , not just one offensive dynamo
Panarin being a low-end second line winger in the playoffs as opposed to an elite first line winger in the regular season is the difference between winning that extra 6 games that has alluded the team.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
You have no idea what the team's OT strategy is, if someone on the bench called for him to change, or any sort of context whatsoever. I have watched plenty of the games and there has hardly been ANY semblance of a defensive deficiency. In fact, his commitment to backchecking and winning board battles and blocking shots has stood out.

Always been my comp for his playstyle and scoring style too
Dude he peeled off while the Oilers had a 2 on 1 down low, with the 3rd player coming in right behind him. He didn't head back to the bench, he was clearly hoping to go the other way with the puck. You're so blinded by your infatuation with him that you refuse to admit there is even the possibility that he messed up.

I'm not saying he's always a defensive liability, or even that he's often a liability. I'm just saying that this type of play is exactly what he's been criticized for in the past, and a cutesy editorial about "the feels" on the bench is not going to make up for a mistake that directly led to a loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad