RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
I'm looking forward to seeing him when he visits FL. Love his game but one thing I noticed against NHL competition is his straight line speed seems below average. I know that wasn't a strength but I didn't expect him to look a step behind the play as much as he has on breakouts. That was one of the first things that concerned me about Nolan Patrick's game. I think that may limit his game somewhat more than I expected, but he's going to be a monster on the power play and offensive zone starts.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Uhm. Pedigree??

It's not up to Bedard to prove he's on the same level here... how about we let Michkov get a point in the NHL first? Lmao.
If Russia plays the 2023 WJHC this is a totally different conversation

“Pedigree” is not a good argument at all, there is no ability based reason Michkov should have gone below 2nd overall

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
And what will your argument be when Michkov does the same this year? Draft pedigree?
Sorry but what?..

I'm genuinely confused by the wording of your post.

Anyhow IF he manages to be PPG, and that's a huge if, then you can say he's not far off depending on Bedard's current season's outcome.

This is exactly why he's overrated and it's based on wild projections.

It's hilarious to see.

Last edited:

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Was at the game, and he was clearly the best player on the ice during stretches. Looked dangerous quite regularly. A few chances his teammates didn’t finish but also a few chances he didn’t do himself any favors with

It’s clear the people who watch the game and the people who just want to be right or prove that he somehow isn’t a fantastic looking 19 year old

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Not that he needs to be under the microscope for every game that he plays, but it went exactly how I thought it would. Everything directed at or around the net - excellent. The medium -> low pass directed towards the net. The pass from behind the net to in front. The spin move to the front for a great chance. Plus...the no angle shot that led to the delay of game. That's his game. That's the game that I've seen his whole career.

If something isn't being directed towards the net, you get a little bit more of a mixed bag. Most egregiously, that pass attempt from the boards into the middle that was perfectly on the tape of Brock Boeser (?) and not recovering a loose puck that was six feet from him late in the game. Excellent hands, excellent shot, very high-end playmaking directed towards the net line. But the playmaking in other layers and lanes...well, certainly not "generational". It's exactly the game that I've seen with him since he was 16. He is technically excellent, folks downplaying that to play up his playmaking in space isn't how I see it. That doesn't mean you (royal you) have to see it that way though, folks can see things as they see fit, of course...
So he’s fantastic at the passing that actually generates goals. Got it

Reactions: MoneyManny

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
Switching his center from Couturier to Frost about halfway through the game made a world of difference. All of a sudden, he was getting touches, linking up with linemates in the NZ and generating opportunities. He needs a C who can push the pace and apply pressure on defenses in order to let him cook. His puck skills and IQ are undeniable, but his lack of speed is only highlighted next to a lumbering center like Couturier.

Granted, this is a small sample, but scoring chances at 5-on-5 were 3-2 with Frost and 0-4 with Coots. Hopefully, Torts makes the adjustment.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
I don’t understand why Torts decided to switch him to left wing….why not make a decision like that when he has some games under him.

All in all, he flashed a bunch this game. I’m excited to see how he progresses through the year.

Reactions: lordtrillson

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
The Good
Showed flashes of creativity and being able to maneuver in tight spaces to create offense
Drew 2 penalties
Solid defensive plays (especially on Hughes)

The Bad
Looked extra slow in the first 2 periods, looked slightly better in the 3rd
Fumbled the puck a couple of times (was clearly nervous)
Penalty shot was weak

The Ugly (Tortorella)
Starting him off on LW made no sense
Starting him with Couturier over Frost made no sense

The kid needs time to adjust to the NHL, and he is not going to be a point-per-game in his first NHL season. Let him play his game, and hope he can hit 55 points and build on that along with working on skating (maybe Jett can offer 10% of his speed to Mich :P)

On a side note, Jett looked good for his first game vs men other than blown coverage and admiring his pass where he got clocked (lesson learned...hopefully).

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I don’t understand why Torts decided to switch him to left wing….why not make a decision like that when he has some games under him.

All in all, he flashed a bunch this game. I’m excited to see how he progresses through the year.
To get him on a line with TK

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think he will end up with about 4 points in first 10 games and the trolls will take their victory laps.

Then he will start heating up and the trolls will come up with excuses.

It’s funny how some people expose themselves. “He’s small and can’t skate fast in a straight line. How can he be good?” Low hockey IQ fans.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The Good
Showed flashes of creativity and being able to maneuver in tight spaces to create offense
Drew 2 penalties
Solid defensive plays (especially on Hughes)

The Bad
Looked extra slow in the first 2 periods, looked slightly better in the 3rd
Fumbled the puck a couple of times (was clearly nervous)
Penalty shot was weak

The Ugly (Tortorella)
Starting him off on LW made no sense
Starting him with Couturier over Frost made no sense

The kid needs time to adjust to the NHL, and he is not going to be a point-per-game in his first NHL season. Let him play his game, and hope he can hit 55 points and build on that along with working on skating (maybe Jett can offer 10% of his speed to Mich :P)

On a side note, Jett looked good for his first game vs men other than blown coverage and admiring his pass where he got clocked (lesson learned...hopefully).
I think this is a good recap of his first game. I wouldn't be anything close to 100% sure, however, that he won't average a point per game. Kid's a serious talent and is 19 months older than rookie Bedard was when he averaged .9 per game on a very low-scoring team.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I think this is a good recap of his first game. I wouldn't be anything close to 100% sure, however, that he won't average a point per game. Kid's a serious talent and is 19 months older than rookie Bedard was when he averaged .9 per game on a very low-scoring team.

Bedards usage and way he's allowed to play is completely different as well, guy was what almost -50 are we going to ignore that? There's a ton of variables at play here. That being said, Michkov has played 1 NHL game let's watch a bigger sample size.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yeah this kid won't last here. He looked terrible in his first game. I can see why he didnt go top five. I f***ing knew he was getting overrated because he's Russian . Again production in the KHL/MHL means nothing .
I mean Will Smith was even worse, will he go back to juniors ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad