RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Even if Michkov was uncooperative with a team in the lead-up to the draft, it's a tough sell to get bullied out of drafting a 1st overall caliber talent who has practically zero leverage.

Michkov's only advantage would be to say "If you draft me, I won't sign/come over." But how many times has that ever happened with an elite European prospect ever? (NCAA players have the threat of hitting UFA. CHL players have the threat of re-entering the draft) Michkov would have came over no matter what.
Its not often teams can pull a Lindros type trade, where you trade a premier prospect and get better in the process.

Most of the time when you have a prospect that doesn't want to play for your team you don't end up ahead. Think Adam Fox, Justin Schultz, Cutter Gauthier etc.

I think if Philly could go back to the 2022 draft maybe they just look harder at other prospects to choose instead of Gauthier. Would they rather have drafted Jiricek, Korchinski, or Mintyukov back in 2022 than to have Drysdale today?

*IF* the rumors are true that MM gave strong signs to teams that he wasn't interested in playing for them perhaps these teams just felt he wasn't worth the trouble and moved their attention to other prospects.

Whatever it was, looks like good fortune for Philadelphia fans.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Its not often teams can pull a Lindros type trade, where you trade a premier prospect and get better in the process.

Most of the time when you have a prospect that doesn't want to play for your team you don't end up ahead. Think Adam Fox, Justin Schultz, Cutter Gauthier etc.

I think if Philly could go back to the 2022 draft maybe they just look harder at other prospects to choose instead of Gauthier. Would they rather have drafted Jiricek, Korchinski, or Mintyukov back in 2022 than to have Drysdale today?

*IF* the rumors are true that MM gave strong signs to teams that he wasn't interested in playing for them perhaps these teams just felt he wasn't worth the trouble and moved their attention to other prospects.

Lindros is a top 5 prospect drafted in the past 50 years, of course trades like his are not often replicated.

Fox, Schultz, and Gauthier were all NCAA prospects with clear leverage that European prospects do not have.

Sure, I bet the Flyers would rather have drafted someone they prefer instead of trading for Drysdale. But again, Gauthier had leverage that Michkov never would have had so he's not applicable.

I don't believe that Michkov was ever a question of being "worth the trouble" because there was little trouble that he could bring, other than maybe being initially upset that a non-preferred team drafted again. He was never going to surrender an NHL career and millions of dollars just because a less preferred team drafted him.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lindros is a top 5 prospect drafted in the past 50 years, of course trades like his are not often replicated.

Fox, Schultz, and Gauthier were all NCAA prospects with clear leverage that European prospects do not have.

Sure, I bet the Flyers would rather have drafted someone they prefer instead of trading for Drysdale. But again, Gauthier had leverage that Michkov never would have had so he's not applicable.

I don't believe that Michkov was ever a question of being "worth the trouble" because there was little trouble that he could bring, other than maybe being initially upset that a non-preferred team drafted again. He was never going to surrender an NHL career and millions of dollars just because a less preferred team drafted him.
Who knows. The whole thing is pretty interesting to be honest and I'd love to one day know exactly what went on with the selection process.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007

Then the play would have been to extract draft capital from Philly for them to move up.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
At the risk of being unpopular, I've finally done a Michkov video. I'm sure there's a zillion out there about his hands and his shooting, so I took a look at his mental game - mainly his playmaking process. I was not completely sold on his playmaking ability in his DY...not that I thought it was bad, I just thought it fell way short of elite. So, I peaked back at his D+1 season and up to this NHL preseason to see what I could identify both good and bad. I also took note of a specific physical aspect of his game that could lend itself to being a real difference maker.

As usual, this is not a highlight video, nor does it necessarily constitute "hype train"...

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Who knows. The whole thing is pretty interesting to be honest and I'd love to one day know exactly what went on with the selection process.
Its fun narrative but he didnt try to force his way to one team. He said by himself that he had interview with all teams and even if Arizona would pick him - he would play for them. He was asked about arizona specially. But it is fun for fans to cryptoshitting on Michkov may be he forced something. In truth mtl sh1tted on him as hard as they could but they never told that he said he will not play for them(but somewhy they were not afraid to talk about his size, character, his problematics etc). They would say about his desire to not play for them easily. But they didnt. Because he didnt say nothing about "play for only one team". So everything they had is to imagine some stupid stuff and even talk about Demidov as a "better player in their eyes" who was a player from other draft. It ends ok for them but they could stay without both if ducks would not be so... bold in the draft day.

But yeah, fans could use this as "may be baby" argument. At least "they" didnt say that he didnt say it. So we can talk about it forever and cover stupid decision on the draft day at least by this "argument".

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Its fun narrative but he didnt try to force his way to one team. He said by himself that he had interview with all teams and even if Arizona would pick him - he would play for them. He was asked about arizona specially. But it is fun for fans to cryptoshitting on Michkov may be he forced something. In truth mtl sh1tted on him as hard as they could but they never told that he said he will not play for them(but somewhy they were not afraid to talk about his size, character, his problematics etc). They would say about his desire to not play for them easily. But they didnt. Because he didnt say nothing about "play for only one team". So everything they had is to imagine some stupid stuff and even talk about Demidov as a "better player in their eyes" who was a player from other draft. It ends ok for them but they could stay without both if ducks would not be so... bold in the draft day.

But yeah, fans could use this as "may be baby" argument. At least "they" didnt say that he didnt say it. So we can talk about it forever and cover stupid decision on the draft day at least by this "argument".
It’s just hockey. You don’t know michkov personally, relax

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
Pretty quiet game for him through 2 periods.

First period he hardly even touched the puck. Second period was a little better. To be expected since Boston has pretty much their full squad and he’s up against Bostons first line.

Jan 21, 2018
I still can’t believe he was drafted 7th overall.

What on earth was Montreal thinking when they picked Reinbacher over Michkov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad