RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Even if Michkov was uncooperative with a team in the lead-up to the draft, it's a tough sell to get bullied out of drafting a 1st overall caliber talent who has practically zero leverage.

Michkov's only advantage would be to say "If you draft me, I won't sign/come over." But how many times has that ever happened with an elite European prospect ever? (NCAA players have the threat of hitting UFA. CHL players have the threat of re-entering the draft) Michkov would have came over no matter what.
Its not often teams can pull a Lindros type trade, where you trade a premier prospect and get better in the process.

Most of the time when you have a prospect that doesn't want to play for your team you don't end up ahead. Think Adam Fox, Justin Schultz, Cutter Gauthier etc.

I think if Philly could go back to the 2022 draft maybe they just look harder at other prospects to choose instead of Gauthier. Would they rather have drafted Jiricek, Korchinski, or Mintyukov back in 2022 than to have Drysdale today?

*IF* the rumors are true that MM gave strong signs to teams that he wasn't interested in playing for them perhaps these teams just felt he wasn't worth the trouble and moved their attention to other prospects.

Whatever it was, looks like good fortune for Philadelphia fans.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Its not often teams can pull a Lindros type trade, where you trade a premier prospect and get better in the process.

Most of the time when you have a prospect that doesn't want to play for your team you don't end up ahead. Think Adam Fox, Justin Schultz, Cutter Gauthier etc.

I think if Philly could go back to the 2022 draft maybe they just look harder at other prospects to choose instead of Gauthier. Would they rather have drafted Jiricek, Korchinski, or Mintyukov back in 2022 than to have Drysdale today?

*IF* the rumors are true that MM gave strong signs to teams that he wasn't interested in playing for them perhaps these teams just felt he wasn't worth the trouble and moved their attention to other prospects.

Whatever it was, looks like good fortune for Philadelphia fans.

Lindros is a top 5 prospect drafted in the past 50 years, of course trades like his are not often replicated.

Fox, Schultz, and Gauthier were all NCAA prospects with clear leverage that European prospects do not have.

Sure, I bet the Flyers would rather have drafted someone they prefer instead of trading for Drysdale. But again, Gauthier had leverage that Michkov never would have had so he's not applicable.

I don't believe that Michkov was ever a question of being "worth the trouble" because there was little trouble that he could bring, other than maybe being initially upset that a non-preferred team drafted again. He was never going to surrender an NHL career and millions of dollars just because a less preferred team drafted him.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lindros is a top 5 prospect drafted in the past 50 years, of course trades like his are not often replicated.

Fox, Schultz, and Gauthier were all NCAA prospects with clear leverage that European prospects do not have.

Sure, I bet the Flyers would rather have drafted someone they prefer instead of trading for Drysdale. But again, Gauthier had leverage that Michkov never would have had so he's not applicable.

I don't believe that Michkov was ever a question of being "worth the trouble" because there was little trouble that he could bring, other than maybe being initially upset that a non-preferred team drafted again. He was never going to surrender an NHL career and millions of dollars just because a less preferred team drafted him.
Who knows. The whole thing is pretty interesting to be honest and I'd love to one day know exactly what went on with the selection process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad