RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There is no chance in hell they finish Bottom 5, and this is coming from a Flyers fan that WANTS them to finish in the Bottom 5. They compete too hard and have decent depth. They'll probably sniff around a playoff spot again just like last year...and probably miss again. Unless their historically bad Powerplay improves (doubtful due to coaching). That's a major X factor.
They had the worst all situations PDO in the league last year. I'd be surprised if they didn't improve on last season.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Not playing in game action for 7 months can certainly lead to fatigue in your first games back, no matter how hard you train.

It's really hard to simulate in-game pace.
Not to mention he easily led all forwards in ice time with nearly 20min

I said after one season not during the first season. And the Flyers have a different structure. Torts hockey makes them more competitive than an ordinary rebuilding team. That’s good for some points in the standings, even if it’s not going to get you to the playoffs on its own. Combine that with what Michkov will probably be, and I see them after a year being in about the place that they finished last season. Michkov’s level might offset the fluky nature of last season for them that we saw fade badly down the stretch, but I don’t see them being that bad in the way a team like the Hawks will be.
Flyers easily had the leagues worst PP. If the flyers are merely the same and make decent progress in their PP with Michkov then they should be in playoff contention again.

From what I’ve seen so far he’s mostly playmaking, so not sure how some of you see him scoring 30+. He’s not shooting much
At least not in his first season. looking at more like a 25-40 type year as a rookie

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
He will win rookie of the year this year

I'm as big of a Michkov fan as anyone, but given how Celebrini already looks .. he's shooting and scoring goals that I've yet to see Michkov score since I started watching him. Tbqh Michkov looks like he's struggling with his shot still. I'm confused about it given how good his shot looked in his D-1 year at the WJC.

But I don't see how Michkov wins the Calder when Celebrini's shooting ability is so much better right now

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
From what I’ve seen so far he’s mostly playmaking, so not sure how some of you see him scoring 30+. He’s not shooting much
I see him in the 20-25 goal area putting up 40-45 assists and as teams learn to respect his playmaking he will pot more and start getting 40 goals regularly by the time of his first contract I see him peaking with a 50 goal 70 plus assist season

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm as big of a Michkov fan as anyone, but given how Celebrini already looks .. he's shooting and scoring goals that I've yet to see Michkov score since I started watching him. Tbqh Michkov looks like he's struggling with his shot still. I'm confused about it given how good his shot looked in his D-1 year at the WJC.

But I don't see how Michkov wins the Calder when Celebrini's shooting ability is so much better right now
Michkov’s shooting doesn’t need to be that great because he scores so many goals around the net. 19 goals in 47 games at his age last year in the KHL is pretty good.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Michkov’s shooting doesn’t need to be that great because he scores so many goals around the net. 19 goals in 47 games at his age last year in the KHL is pretty good.
So essentially his IQ is carrying his lack of raw talent. Sure, you could maybe win a Calder on that, but it raises doubt regarding the projections that he could be a 40 goal scorer. At least with what he's showing us right now, he feels more like a 25 + 55 kind of player in his prime. Superstar production, I'm not sure tbh. He needs to prove that

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So essentially his IQ is carrying his lack of raw talent. Sure, you could maybe win a Calder on that, but it raises doubt regarding the projections that he could be a 40 goal scorer. At least with what he's showing us right now, he feels more like a 25 + 55 kind of player in his prime. Superstar production, I'm not sure tbh. He needs to prove that
Johnny Gaudreau arguably should have won the Calder and became a star in the league on the back of his IQ. Michkov's bigger, stronger, and has a better shot than Gaudreau.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Scoring goals that way, rather than just because you have a good shot, is much more repeatable and sustainable IMO

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
His iq overshadows his immense raw talent not cover the lack of it he has 40 goal potential easily he will always find himself in high scoring areas akin to matthews

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Someone said it earlier and I truly believe young Michkov will Win the Calder(Rookie) award and score in the 25-30 goals range with 40-45 assists...and in no time flat be the Flyers best Forward(player)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

It's still NHL preseason games where are a lot of stupid shots. Players shoot to get used to the puck, ice, air, and everything of the new season. Michkov is a rookie and plays like always i.e. if all around shoot, he tries to make plays because someone has to do it. In the regular they'll get chemistry, and players start to pass the puck to him, and it's when we'll see his shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His iq overshadows his immense raw talent not cover the lack of it he has 40 goal potential easily he will always find himself in high scoring areas akin to matthews
I think there are a lot of people think Matthews scores his goals with a ferocious windup and shooting power in the way Ovechkin did. He doesn’t. He has a hard shot. It’s. The power is certainly good, but it’s not that good. The release is great, as is the accuracy, and he finds the right spots and the puck seems to always gravitate to him when he’s open. Michkov can do the same things. He’s not the same size, but I see a similar type of goal scorer and I personally think he has the same type of goal scoring potential.

Reactions: Faceboner

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So essentially his IQ is carrying his lack of raw talent. Sure, you could maybe win a Calder on that, but it raises doubt regarding the projections that he could be a 40 goal scorer.

Nobody's raising any doubt except for you. The 'lack of raw talent' is just something you imagined and then chose to post. Not sure why, to embarrass yourself it seems.

It's still NHL preseason games

It's been like one game. But the hot takes are coming.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Michkov does not lack for "raw talent." Not one bit.

Plays his 1st preseason game, registers 2 primary assists, has his raw talent questioned. This place is wild lol.

Reactions: MNRube and Fantomas

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
The problem with Michkov is that KHL production means shit. Russia sucks at developing NHL talent.

You could dominate the KHL at a young age and still not do shit in the NHL. I think part of it is the "lazy" Russian effect. Look at Kuzmenko. He's already turned into shit because he doesn't have the work ethic to succeed.

For every Kaprizov that comes from the KHL, there is 1000 Kuzmenkos, Kovalchuks, Shipachev. I honestly think there is a " pro-Russian" bias on this board and that's why this kid gets attention.

He"ll be gone back to Russia in a year.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The problem with Michkov is that KHL production means shit. Russia sucks at developing NHL talent.

You could dominate the KHL at a young age and still not do shit in the NHL. I think part of it is the "lazy" Russian effect. Look at Kuzmenko. He's already turned into shit because he doesn't have the work ethic to succeed.

For every Kaprizov that comes from the KHL, there is 1000 Kuzmenkos, Kovalchuks, Shipachev. I honestly think there is a " pro-Russian" bias on this board and that's why this kid gets attention.

He"ll be gone back to Russia in a year.
Yeah, god forbid Michkov has a Kovalchuk type of career. What a terrible player.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think there are a lot of people think Matthews scores his goals with a ferocious windup and shooting power in the way Ovechkin did. He doesn’t. He has a hard shot. It’s. The power is certainly good, but it’s not that good. The release is great, as is the accuracy, and he finds the right spots and the puck seems to always gravitate to him when he’s open. Michkov can do the same things. He’s not the same size, but I see a similar type of goal scorer and I personally think he has the same type of goal scoring potential.
The way he plays reminds me kind of a crosby/matthews hybrid the way he is able to control the puck down low and behind the net and play the cycle reminds of them. But as you said the way he gets open in the right spots in the soft areas and high danger areas his movement is great flyers got lucky nabbing him at 7 reminds of guys like jagr and selanne in terms of draft situation/pedigree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad