RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He is a Kucherov regen. His ability to create offense is exceptional.
Yep, this always been who he reminds me of. No superior physical ability, just controls the game with magician playmaking

He got outplayed in a pre-season game by Jett Luchanko against AHLers.... not a good look.
Luchanko was awesome and if the team was competing would most likely make the squad as a bottom 6, but that takes nothing away from Michkov.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The scary part about players like Michkov is that they can have mediocre games and still show up all over the score sheet. He has the ability to play that quiet game that makes dmen forget about him, then he gets the puck for two seconds and the puck is in your net.

Imagine this guy if he's able to improve his skating in the next few years.

And hopefully the nonsensical narrative that he's not an elite passer will soon be put to rest. He's a better passer than he is a shooter.

Reactions: PK16

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The scary part about players like Michkov is that they can have mediocre games and still show up all over the score sheet. He has the ability to play that quiet game that makes dmen forget about him, then he gets the puck for two seconds and the puck is in your net.

And hopefully the nonsensical narrative that he's not an elite passer will soon be put to rest. He's a better passer than he is a shooter.

Good take, his passing is absurd, it gets masked by his wicket shot, I kinda had a feeling he’d win a few rockets before tbh, but he’s so good at passing that when he sees NHL talents burying his passes I’m not sure he’ll ever shoot enough to win a rocket. Maybe an odd year he guns for it though. It’s too early to tell though.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Last year in the KHL he barely even produced with his shot. I have yet to see it on display like he's shown in his pre-draft tape.

It makes me question if he will be more of a playmaker at the higher level or if he has another elite offensive component to his game waiting to be unleashed.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Watching the game yesterday, the guy just is constantly creating chances. Most of it was helping others in scoring spots, but he really does play the game a few steps a head. If he can improve his shot over the years, and get a little faster, kid is a superstar no doubt. Also love that he isn't afraid to get into the corners. That high level of compete + desire to be the best will serve him very well. Him and Frost looked like Peanut Butter and Jam yesterday as well.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

He had a moment in the prospect game against the rangers when he was flying through the neutral zone. I'm not concerned with the skating. I do think he'll have to adjust to how long the NHL season is, though (cardio)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve continuously stated Michkov will revolutionize the next generation of the Flyers. They will be one of the best NHL teams during his time with the team. You hope for 20-25 years, like Crosby and Ovechkin, but we’ll see.

He will win rookie of the year this year. I could see 1PPG with at least 30-35 goals, but we’ll see how Torts beats him into shape, and he might only have like 65-75. You never know how many games he’ll play.

Regardless, what I’m worried about is what the Flyers put around him. I look at their roster, and I’m very underwhelmed. They were supposed to be picking top 5 last year, and Torts whipped them into mediocrity. They were too good to acquire a top prospect, like Chicago did for Bedard.

They need to fire Torts. Briere needs to tell the owner to let him do his job and pick the coach. They need a top 5 pick for 2025. I’m a little worried for them that Michkov will be good enough after the one season that they won’t be capable anymore of finishing bottom 10. They just don’t have very much in the way of young talent. Michkov is the only player who remotely looks like a future NHL all-star. Maybe Drysdale if it goes ideal. The others aren’t it. They need more, and Michkov’s march to greatness will limit the chances they get to pick high. Fire Torts already.

Reactions: Redpath

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I’ve continuously stated Michkov will revolutionize the next generation of the Flyers. They will be one of the best NHL teams during his time with the team. You hope for 20-25 years, like Crosby and Ovechkin, but we’ll see.

He will win rookie of the year this year. I could see 1PPG with at least 30-35 goals, but we’ll see how Torts beats him into shape, and he might only have like 65-75. You never know how many games he’ll play.

Regardless, what I’m worried about is what the Flyers put around him. I look at their roster, and I’m very underwhelmed. They were supposed to be picking top 5 last year, and Torts whipped them into mediocrity. They were too good to acquire a top prospect, like Chicago did for Bedard.

They need to fire Torts. Briere needs to tell the owner to let him do his job and pick the coach. They need a top 5 pick for 2025. I’m a little worried for them that Michkov will be good enough after the one season that they won’t be capable anymore of finishing bottom 10. They just don’t have very much in the way of young talent. Michkov is the only player who remotely looks like a future NHL all-star. Maybe Drysdale if it goes ideal. The others aren’t it. They need more, and Michkov’s march to greatness will limit the chances they get to pick high. Fire Torts already.
I think the flyers are pretty talented on the wings. Foerster, Tippett are each bonafide top 6 wings, TK is a top line wing. Center is the only concern, unless you want to say that the lack of high-end star level players to play along with is a concern, too.

I will say I have done an almost full 180 on Luchanko. He looks like a good all situations top 6 center.

Definitively no potential stars on D. I'm reluctant to label York and Sanheim true top pair on a contender, too. Bonk will be a good #4 D. Drysdale will probably be a sheltered #3 at best.

I'm not on board with firing torts. He's helped exponentially with the development of the young players. Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do with young players?? Or do you just let them toil in mediocrity with no development for 4-5 years and then flick a switch and be a contender?

aqsw

PM
Sponsor
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm still debating on whether Michkov or Celebrini will have more points this year. I think Michkov will be surrounded with better talent to help him produce, but I'm worried about Torts and what he might do. 😲

Still, I like what I see of Michkov so far.
You're sleeping on Eklund. He's really good. Better than what MM has for linemates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad