RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Against 18 years old 5th rounders in a pre-season rookie only game. Worth as much as a beer league goal.

Fortunately this thread also includes the 30 goals he has scored against men in the regular season of one of the best leagues on Earth, if that's your preference. Although I suspect you'll find a way to diminish that too.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
So many filthy passes just like I expected. An instance of diligent backchecking, but man he has been dishing out dimes all game. Probably should have two goals atleast. High danger chance after high danger when he’s in the game

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
What a dominant debut. I was a bit apprehensive after getting burned with most flyers prospects of the last decade but Michkov is the real deal
What surprised me more than anything was his passing ability. May already be the best passer on the flyers. Absolute elite vision and puts it on the tape almost every time. Everything else about his game was as advertised, but his passing was beautiful

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
What surprised me more than anything was his passing ability. May already be the best passer on the flyers. Absolute elite vision and puts it on the tape almost every time. Everything else about his game was as advertised, but his passing was beautiful
People undersell his passing because of his shot there’s a reason most scouts had him in the same section as Bedard. Now I think Bedard is better as a prospect but it’s razer thin, this upcoming season is gonna be awesome, wish Bedard health and success just as much as Michkov

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's going to create a lot of chances for his teammates, the question is will they score on those moments or have he to become a little bit more selfish because if he doesn't score nobody does...

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
I saw a young man who was tough on pucks, he was hard to contain behind the net, played great defense and his hockey IQ was off the charts. The second and 3rd periods he kicked it to another gear. The brass had to be happy with what they saw. I know I was!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Seasons starting soon...get your little shots in while you can...gonna be a long season for you if you keep that hatred in your heart. This kid is the real deal
I don’t hate the player at all. I’m just managing expectations. As another member pointed out, he’s got pushed around a little bit too much by other kids, created a few turnover, had his head down a couple of times in dangerous positions and sometimes he took too much time to make a decision with the puck.

All things that won’t work/fly in the NHL. He can and probably will adjust over time but to think he’s going to come into the league and dominate right away is a pipe dream.

I’ll need to see real games against real mens but I think I know already how this year is going to go;

He might start off red hot for 5-6 games and get 16-18 minutes ice time a game. He’s going to cool off a bit as time and space gets smaller and smaller. Torts going to cut down his ice time because of it and Philly fans will come to this board complaining about how Torts is an idiot and doesn’t understand hockey etc… I also expect Michkov to get hit hard a couple of times in the first half of the season, maybe even concussed once until he figures out he need to keep his heads up more. Probably going to end up with ~50 points his first year and it’ll take 18-24 months before he completely figure it out and start dominating more. He plays a lot like Kaprisoz - or at least try to - but I don’t think he’s as skilled as him. 80-90 points a season should be his peak years and he’s going to be a great player.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I’ve been trying to tell people ITT that his playmaking and passing is more impressive than his goal scoring

The ease with which he gets pushed off the puck behind the net is a bit concerning though.
That was the only time that happened. In fact he was guarding the puck with his body much of the game pretty impressively

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeypete49

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Season can't start soon enough, these are the kind of plays he made with regularity in the KHL as a fking 18-19 year old. The guy is amazing, I'm not shocked at all by what I'm seeing, NHL caliber players are going to bury these chances more often than not. Looks like it's gonna be fun to be a Flyers fan as long as he stays healthy. I fully believe he's capable of 50 goal seasons, he and Bedard will be competing for rockets one day, his shot is that good.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Excited for Flyers fans. This kid is gonna be so damn good. His hockey IQ is off the charts.

Really impressed with how strong he is on pucks. Completely agree that he and bedard will be competing for the rocket for years.

Easily the best prospect out of Russia in years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The puck finds this kid, he just has the insane ability of right place at the right time always. In 20 years he’ll be regarded as a hockey genius, he’s just different.
This ^^^
Michkov is one of those very rare players who reads the play at an incredible speed. He sees where the puck will be before everyone else. It’s why he’s often not in the camera’s view because it’s following the puck, but then he pops up in the play.
It’s like the play comes to him. Really rare.

Reactions: The Wizard

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don’t hate the player at all. I’m just managing expectations. As another member pointed out, he’s got pushed around a little bit too much by other kids, created a few turnover, had his head down a couple of times in dangerous positions and sometimes he took too much time to make a decision with the puck.

All things that won’t work/fly in the NHL. He can and probably will adjust over time but to think he’s going to come into the league and dominate right away is a pipe dream.

I’ll need to see real games against real mens but I think I know already how this year is going to go;

He might start off red hot for 5-6 games and get 16-18 minutes ice time a game. He’s going to cool off a bit as time and space gets smaller and smaller. Torts going to cut down his ice time because of it and Philly fans will come to this board complaining about how Torts is an idiot and doesn’t understand hockey etc… I also expect Michkov to get hit hard a couple of times in the first half of the season, maybe even concussed once until he figures out he need to keep his heads up more. Probably going to end up with ~50 points his first year and it’ll take 18-24 months before he completely figure it out and start dominating more. He plays a lot like Kaprisoz - or at least try to - but I don’t think he’s as skilled as him. 80-90 points a season should be his peak years and he’s going to be a great player.
Why do you feel you need to manage expectations? It’s a prospect board . People are excited . You have concussions and clashes w coaches in your projection . Lighten up . Your team passed on him for what looks like a vastly less dynamic option , you’re sensitive ; we get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad