RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
100 percent
Anyone arguing otherwise is kidding themselves

They very well may have
It would have been stupid to pass on him if they truly felt he was bpa
Like I said, you can look it up. Multiple teams have had top 5 picks three consecutive years and NONE OF THEM have ever drafted a wing each time with that top 5 pick. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. You can give me whatever BPA bullshit you want to but it's never happened before and the NHL draft is old enough that you can draw clear conclusions from its history.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Luke Hughes was drafted 4oa in 2021, along with beniers (2) and mactavish (3)

They are all entering their d+4 season
Yes they are nhl players but none of them are the type that put butts in seats because they haven’t reached their potential yet. Because they are very young

Lafreniere is just starting to look like a first line player

The sedins

Byfield

Nathan McKinnon

Hedman

I’m sure there are plenty more

The contract angle is dumb. If teams loved the player they would have found a way around it
Truthfully I'm not entirely sure what your point is. It's pretty understood that Russian players come with a bit extra 'complications' in terms of contract situations, logistics etc. and it's been widely reported on that many NHL teams were worried that he might not come over for a while, so they drafted other players and thus he slipped. None of your examples are Russian players and most played in the NHL sooner than their D+4 season, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I would take BPA no question that high in the draft. If needed you can trade one of them for a prime RD, or sign one in UFA.
Why didn’t you want Cooley or Wright instead of Nemec? Both were ranked higher on most lists. Do you also think NJ would be better with Wright/Cooley instead of Nemec going forward? They were BPA at the time.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
theres zero chance we pick Demidov this year if they picked Michkov last year people love offensive power but forget how important def is that would leave us with a huge hole at RD and thats one of the most important position its the same thing Chicago did this year taking Levshunov over Demidov i remember Hawks fans calling me crazy for saying Chicago was going def but GMs really value dman its very important come playoffs time thats players that will play 25 to 30min a game

We wanted Michkov last year the Reinbacher pick created chaos on social media but today with Demidov we are very happy that it worked out for us so lets stop this hate on both sides and wish both players the best

Cheers
Meh. You are picking better player. Especially when we talk about players with potential in 80-90-100 points or even more. Go find your RD on the market.
Chicago have their own chances to regret about it later.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Truthfully I'm not entirely sure what your point is. It's pretty understood that Russian players come with a bit extra 'complications' in terms of contract situations, logistics etc. and it's been widely reported on that many NHL teams were worried that he might not come over for a while, so they drafted other players and thus he slipped. None of your examples are Russian players and most played in the NHL sooner than their D+4 season, so I'm not sure what your point is.
My point was that nhl gms are not worried about having high draft picks becoming immediate impact players. Which was the suggested reason that teams passed on mickhov.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Because that's not how NHL GM's construct teams, whether you agree or not. Show me an example where a team drafted a wing in the top 5 three years in a row. If you can, I'll be quiet.
Closest I can think of off the top of my head would be Oilers picking Hall, RNH, Yakupov in consecutive years at #1. Obviously RNH can play wing or centre though.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
yes im sure its very easy to find good young RDs on the market
Who said “young”? And it’s easier to find young RD on the market than young winger with real 80-100+ points potential.

Chicago did, Buffalo didn’t, Rangers drafted left handed wingers all the time. With Panarin and Kreider in the roster. Both Demidov and Michkov have better ceiling than Kakko an Laf. Rangers drafted Otthman, Perrault after. With Cuylle and Sykora picks in seconds rounds. With huge need in centers all those years. Devils drafted Silayev with great NHL defense and very good prospect defensive pool, with Huuuuge need in centers. It’s not an argument.

Reactions: My3Sons

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Who said “young”? And it’s easier to find young RD on the market than young winger with real 80-100+ points potential.

Chicago did, Buffalo didn’t, Rangers drafted left handed wingers all the time. With Panarin and Kreider in the roster. Both Demidov and Michkov have better ceiling than Kakko an Laf. Rangers drafted Otthman, Perrault after. With Cuylle and Sykora picks in seconds rounds. With huge need in centers all those years. Devils drafted Silayev with great NHL defense and very good prospect defensive pool, with Huuuuge need in centers. It’s not an argument.
It’s way harder to acquire young top pairing RHD than young PPG winger. Let’s not kid ourselves here.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It doesn’t exist
Lapointe said it played a role as much as he hinted michkovs play in the defensive end played a role as well
Dude you’re getting caught up in semantics . They were concerned about the 3 year time frame and the unknown nature of when he’d be coming over . He also gushed about his offense ability/ potential . Sorry for using a big word … yikes . It was a factor . Literally from the horses mouth .

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Forgive me for not being excited about a guy who was just the 40th top scorer in the KHL, behind prolific superstars such as Alex Galchenyuk and Ryan Spooner.
You mean the Galchenyuk who scored 0.68 points per game on a powerhouse and the Michkov who scored 0.87 points per game on a pile of shit team?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Like I said, you can look it up. Multiple teams have had top 5 picks three consecutive years and NONE OF THEM have ever drafted a wing each time with that top 5 pick. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. You can give me whatever BPA bullshit you want to but it's never happened before and the NHL draft is old enough that you can draw clear conclusions from its history.

Because that's not how NHL GM's construct teams, whether you agree or not. Show me an example where a team drafted a wing in the top 5 three years in a row. If you can, I'll be quiet.
Crazy man
If you had a chance to draft matt tkachuk, ovi, Kane and in consecutive years you wouldn’t do it?

Dude you’re getting caught up in semantics . They were concerned about the 3 year time frame and the unknown nature of when he’d be coming over . He also gushed about his offense ability/ potential . Sorry for using a big word … yikes . It was a factor . Literally from the horses mouth .
They didn’t pass on Michkov because of the contract

If they loved the player they would have made it work

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
They just thought Reinbacher was going to end up being the better player of the two and the more impactful. Your small quote is taken out of context. The full article/interview is here: Subscribe

EDIT:

https:// recrutes.ca/ habs-lapointed-in-the-right-direction/

Just like Juraj Slafkovsky’s selection the year before, the Reinbacher pick can be explained by the high compete level he showed at the World Championships. Both players wanted to make a difference, to “be the guy” for their team.
The Canadiens’ co-director of amateur scouting explained that for the organization, skills matter but it’s not the most important component when it comes to picking a player. As skillful as Michkov was, his compete level was not as high as Reinbacher’s and that matters.

*Stop spreading misinformation around when you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
2 hints I saw on why they passed on the player not the contract

Defensive play and compete level

Both from the horses mouth

They just thought Reinbacher was going to end up being the better player of the two and the more impactful. Your small quote is taken out of context. The full article/interview is here: Subscribe

EDIT:

Just like Juraj Slafkovsky’s selection the year before, the Reinbacher pick can be explained by the high compete level he showed at the World Championships. Both players wanted to make a difference, to “be the guy” for their team.
The Canadiens’ co-director of amateur scouting explained that for the organization, skills matter but it’s not the most important component when it comes to picking a player. As skillful as Michkov was, his compete level was not as high as Reinbacher’s and that matters.

*Stop spreading misinformation around when you have no idea what you’re talking about.
It’s in his best interests to believe that the habs are run by buffoons that would pass on a sure fire superstar because he wasn’t available for 3 years

Laughable

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Crazy man
If you had a chance to draft matt tkachuk, ovi, Kane and in consecutive years you wouldn’t do it?

They didn’t pass on Michkov because of the contract

If they loved the player they would have made it work.
The quote from Lapointe exists whether you want to play down the significance or not . I’ll let people decide for themselves if they choose to search it out. It’s all there . Even when I’m not talking about a Hab player I still have lemmings following me … if you don’t like my posts put me on ignore . Or not .

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The quote from Lapointe exists whether you want to play down the significance or not . I’ll let people decide for themselves if they choose to search it out. It’s all there . Even when I’m not talking about a Hab player I still have lemmings following me … if you don’t like my posts put me on ignore . Or not .
I have no problem putting people on ignore
I have zero issues with you personally

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

EDIT:

Cool dude enjoy Reinbacher and his “ compete “ . I’ll take skills all day . I recon the majority would as well if there is a significant talent divide . Michkov is plenty competitive additionally.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Cool dude enjoy Reinbacher and his “ compete “ . I’ll take skills all day . I recon the majority would as well if there is a significant talent divide . Michkov is plenty competitive additionally.
Worked out well for Montreal with Slafkovsky over Wright and Cooley and I’m sure Reinbacher will work out alright.

You mean the majority of fans who never played anything other than beer leagues and rely on hockeydb and youtube to make up their mind of a player? Yeah, I’ll give the benefit of the doubt on the team who’s drafted Slaf, Hutson, Beck, Demidov, Reinbacher, Fowler, Hage over the last 3 draft. They seem to know what they’re doing.

FYI, since Lapointe took over the draft department from Timmins Montreal drafted Caufield (15), Guhle (16), Mailloux (31), Slafkovsky (1), Mesar (26), Reinbacher (5), Demidov (5) and Hage (21). He does seem to know what he’s doing - Better than HFboards at least and the « majority » of its members

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad