RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's a pretty typical argument when it comes to projections, though. When a Prospect A is better than a Player B was as a prospect people usually consider the kid has a good chance to become the better player than the guy.
This… this is absolutely not true lol.

Ty Smith was two time WHL player of the year

Winner of CHL D of the year

Absolutely no one on planet earth thought he’d be better than Shea Webber because he was better as a prospect

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
This… this is absolutely not true lol.

Ty Smith was two time WHL player of the year

Winner of CHL D of the year

Absolutely no one on planet earth thought he’d be better than Shea Webber because he was better as a prospect
Wasn't Smith picked like 40 spots higher than Weber?

To be clear: I'm comparing how they were viewed in their draft years, not what people think with hindsight and foresight

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

To be clear: I'm comparing how they were viewed in their draft years, not what people think with hindsight and foresight
I understand that Michkov has been great for years and is now beyond a “prodigy” but the majority of prodigies in male sports are not “successful” as professional athletes. There are many theories out there as to why that is the case.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I understand that Michkov has been great for years and is now beyond a “prodigy” but the majority of prodigies in male sports are not “successful” as professional athletes. There are many theories out there as to why that is the case.
Yah Mcdavid , Crosby , Lemieux , Orr , Lindros etc sure worked out poorly … wait …

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Wow, 5 examples. The only 5 prodigies ever, right? I also said “male sports,” not just hockey.
No hence the etc … I’m just saying it’s a silly premise ; well this guy had been successful for a long time , he must be due for a regression / failure … like really ? That’s a reason to doubt his future ?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Yes. That’s the point.

Just because someone was a better prospect, doesn’t mean it’s “good chance” they will become better NHL players

Reactions: Habs10Habs

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why have a draft is that’s the case? Of course better prospects have a higher chance of becoming better nhl players. Michkov was a phenom as a prospect and will be a phenom in the nhl.
Comparing among the same draft classes sure.

But saying “Michkov was better at 19 than Kucherov was at 19… therefor Michkov is likely to be better” is bonkers rationality when Kucherov has VASTLY out blown his draft position or expectations from a prospect.

Is there a “good chance” Simon Edvisson will be better than Chara? I mean, he was a much better prospect…

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's funny to me that the Habs' reasoning basically amounted to "We have Caufield, so we can't take Michkov" rather than "hey we could just trade Caufield's ass as soon as Michkov's ready."
It's undeniable that the Habs had to take physics and geometry into consideration. Suzuki isn't large, Caufield is tiny, Dach is made of glass (and not proven), Newhook is sturdy but not big and is not proven...

I wanted Michkov, I only looked at upside but GMs and hockey pros (who are not awful at their job) have to take into account downsides and opportunity costs. They simply preferred Reinbacher.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's funny to me that the Habs' reasoning basically amounted to "We have Caufield, so we can't take Michkov" rather than "hey we could just trade Caufield's ass as soon as Michkov's ready."
Probably because it would be absolutely insane to trade away a 22 year old who scored 48 in his first 82 games under MSL.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
-bad attitude
-shitty teammate
-too small
-too slow
-will never be let out of SKA contract
-putin personally traveled to Sochi and killed his dad

Any other reason he's too much of a risk and/or will never succeed in NHL?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Desire as the reason.

-bad attitude
-shitty teammate
-too small
-too slow

Add Super overrated to your running tally ( it goes without saying but if anyone is just reading this message out of context I obviously don’t believe this ) … 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Zine

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We still haven't received an answer as to why SKA wanted nothing to do with Michkov, both this past year and for another two seasons.

He should be the best offensive player in the KHL for two years and they could have kept him for that. Instead they cut him loose entirely. What's the deal? His coach doesn't like one dimensional scorers or he doesn't get along with his teammates?

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
We still haven't received an answer as to why SKA wanted nothing to do with Michkov, both this past year and for another two seasons.

He should be the best offensive player in the KHL for two years and they could have kept him for that. Instead they cut him loose entirely. What's the deal? His coach doesn't like one dimensional scorers or he doesn't get along with his teammates?
He is small, one-dimensional and nowhere close to being the best offensive player in the khl . There must have been not much incentive to keep him in the first place. He should start the season in the ahl.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Comparing among the same draft classes sure.

But saying “Michkov was better at 19 than Kucherov was at 19… therefor Michkov is likely to be better” is bonkers rationality when Kucherov has VASTLY out blown his draft position or expectations from a prospect.

Is there a “good chance” Simon Edvisson will be better than Chara? I mean, he was a much better prospect…
In a general sense the higher a player is drafted (their pedigree) the more likely they will be an NHLer. I think that is proven over all the drafts. Of course there will be exceptions. As for Michkov, he was a star when drafted and will be a star in the nhl.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
-bad attitude
-shitty teammate
-too small
-too slow

the coah Torturella will bench him forever and ever :sarcasm:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's undeniable that the Habs had to take physics and geometry into consideration. Suzuki isn't large, Caufield is tiny, Dach is made of glass (and not proven), Newhook is sturdy but not big and is not proven...

I wanted Michkov, I only looked at upside but GMs and hockey pros (who are not awful at their job) have to take into account downsides and opportunity costs. They simply preferred Reinbacher.

You make this sound like some sort of well-honed rocket science, rather than what it really was: Habs making a big mistake.

And I say this as someone who likes the Habs and who would have enjoyed seeing Michkov with the Habs. That's the only reason I still acknowledge these replies.

Reinbacher has limited upside and is coming off a disappointing season. He's not your future #1D. Especially if you're building to win cups, which the Habs keep saying they're intending to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You make this sound like some sort of well-honed rocket science, rather than what it really was: Habs making a big mistake.

And I say this as someone who likes the Habs and who would have enjoyed seeing Michkov with the Habs. That's the only reason I still acknowledge these replies.
Whatever
Reinbacher has limited upside and is coming off a disappointing season. He's not your future #1D. Especially if you're building to win cups, which the Habs keep saying they're intending to do.
At the time of the draft there was an almost certainty that Reinbacher would go top7. The Habs really liked him and had a glaring hole at RD. He had a terrific season in Switzerland with very impressive stats.

I didn’t want the pick either and I’m not just coping about it now but I’m not gonna call it a big mistake just yet. Michkov could also fail, as could Will Smith or the others on the top3. So who knows.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Pure politics. SKA does this with young players that want to get to the NHL asap. Did it with Marchenko. Did it with Khusnutdinov. Did it with Michkov. Doing it with Demidov. Haven't do it with Nikishin because he's committed to stay in KHL for some time since his draft. Didn't do with Kaprizov for same reason.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002

Because SKA's Rotenberg is a vindictive A-hole....the embarrassment of Russian hockey.

Michkov signed a long-term contract, but wanted out before the deal ended. Don't think Rotenberg had no idea of this. Plus SKA's rosters are insanely deep by KHL standards, so they're good with or without Michkov.

Why did they let him go? I'm almost certain SKA was paid quite handsomely by Philly in some capacity or another.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad