RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I do but saying he’ll be better than Kucherov in the NHL because he was better as a kid is a weak argument.

It's a pretty typical argument when it comes to projections, though. When a Prospect A is better than a Player B was as a prospect people usually consider the kid has a good chance to become the better player than the guy.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It's a pretty typical argument when it comes to projections, though. When a Prospect A is better than a Player B was as a prospect people usually consider the kid has a good chance to become the better player than the guy.
People can consider whatever they want but that doesn’t make it factual or accurate. There’s plenty of data and research showing that development in elite male athletes is not linear. Michkov will likely be a superb NHL player. But he’s highly unlikely to be more productive than Kucherov, who was clearly a late bloomer. But I guess we’ll know definitively in 10-15 years.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
People can consider whatever they want but that doesn’t make it factual or accurate. There’s plenty of data and research showing that development in elite male athletes is not linear. Michkov will likely be a superb NHL player. But he’s highly unlikely to be more productive than Kucherov, who was clearly a late bloomer. But I guess we’ll know definitively in 10-15 years.

Lol, late bloomer who set the U18 WJC scoring record. Is Hagens a late bloomer as well?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He went 7th for a reason. Either he is overrated or a cancer. And wanting to play for Philadelphia is a bad sign right there.
This reason is stupidity of a couple of GMs. Fans don't need to breath in this copium.
Its hard to be overrated with his IQ and results, its hard to be cancer with his level of competitiveness. Its a mark of star.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Lol, late bloomer who set the U18 WJC scoring record. Is Hagens a late bloomer as well?
I'm big believer but it is still lower chance for Michkov to be better than Kucherov. And its not knock on Michkov. Bedard has lower chance to be better than Kucherov or AM.
Both have chances to be better, its just to early to wait for it. AM is going to be top-10/top-5 scorer in the history, may be top-3. Kucherov made 100a season - very rare destination. He is second best player of the actual generation. Even with better results Michkov and Bedard should adapt their game and learn a lot of new things on NHL level. Some players make it better, some are not as good. Im not telling that both will be busts, I don't think so, its just AM and Kucheriv who knows how to play and what they should do and they are doing it on the top level of the entire history of NHL. Its just hard. I still think that Muchkov and Bedard have potential to be 90-110+ points players (it does matter who will be their partners, McDavid, AM and even Kucherov play with great players, Michkov is in the very bad situation now in philly(sorry, fans), Bedard is in better situation but still we don't know about their talent, will they play on the level of Marner or Draisaitl). But its just hard to produce 140 points or score 65+ goals.

Sacha BOXviert

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
At the moment Bedard is already a better player than AM and Kucherov at the same age. And Michkov probably too.
we will see

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Seems to be a safe option to play in the NHL given projectabliy but he’s certainly less talented then Michkov . Being right handed is certainly a feather in his cap but that high in the draft I’d think they’d be swinging larger . It could work out of course . I’m just extreme high on Michkov ; I can’t fathom passing on a talent like that ( I realize several did : for varying reasons ) .
which do you think is harder to acquire in the NHL.

A high-end first line winger or two-way top pairing RHD?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't think the Habs passed on Michkov because of positional need , i genuinely think , right or wrong ( probably wrong ) , they were just not that high on Michkov for whatever reason
That’a a fair argument but they also said that RHD was a need and Reinbacher was up there on their list with the other top talents.

Most contenders need to patch holes here and there via trade or FA to take the next step and become favorites to win cups. Some are able to and some aren’t (Toronto being a good example here).

Which comes back to my initial question when you think long term and building out a winner; Is it harder to find a high-end first line winger or two-way top pairing RHD?

Logic would say it is much easier to find an elite winger on the trade market or FA than filling out a top pairing RHD need and it would cost much less in terms of assets to acquire a winger

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
which do you think is harder to acquire in the NHL.

A high-end first line winger or two-way top pairing RHD?
I’ll take the elite game changer winger over the maybe top 4 d . Right handed or not . Depends on the team situation but in a vacuum I just feel Michkov will be the more impactful player / asset moving forward . I don’t find Rein all that dynamic

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’ll take the elite game changer winger over the maybe top 4 d . Right handed or not . Depends on the team situation but in a vacuum I just feel Michkov will be the more impactful player / asset moving forward . I don’t find Rein all that dynamic
Okay so now Michkov is an elite game changer and Reinbacher is maybe a top 4 D?

I’m curious about the bolded. How many games of each players have you watched over the last two years?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Games of the past season, track record, producing metrics. For everybody who cant watch games - youtube has nice shift by shift videos.
Awesome. So what makes you think that Reinbacher is *maybe* going to be a top 4 D? What did you like in his game and what didn’t you like?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The guy has access to hockeydb and YouTube

Don’t question his expertise
As khl tv and some sites with translations I can't name. I watching ~40 games of Michkov and 12-15 games of Reinbacher in two years is enough.
But hockeydb helps too.

Awesome. So what makes you think that Reinbacher is *maybe* going to be a top 4 D? What did you like in his game and what didn’t you like?
I didn't watch his AHL games, its important to mention. Im not a big fan of his skating, he is good skater for his size but he isn't very good or great. First step isn't very good. I would question his positional decision making against the cycling. Again - not bad/not very good now. And I would say he didn't look as dynamic enough as you would like to see from your defensive driver. Especially if we are comparing him with talent of Michkov level. Is Reinbacher passer or playmaker? I didn't decide yet for myself. Would be better to look at how he is adapting on AHL level.

Michkov shouldn't be very good defensively because he isn't defenseman and he has exceptional offensive tools and vision. And he still read the game well to forecheck right player in right spot in o zone.

So for me Reinbacher has 35-45 points middle and 50-60 points ceiling(1st pair defenseman still if everything will going well) on my eye test with good/very good but not great defensive game. Michkov has 100+ points ceiling if he will play with goid partners with 70-85 points(~1ppg) middle if he will not have good partners or injuries will effect his game. Its a different stratosphere. And he would have good partners in Montreal.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
As khl tv and some sites with translations I can't name. I watching ~40 games of Michkov and 12-15 games of Reinbacher in two years is enough.
But hockeydb helps too.

I didn't watch his AHL games, its important to mention. Im not a big fan of his skating, he is good skater for his size but he isn't very good or great. First step isn't very good. I would question his positional decision making against the cycling. Again - not bad/not very good now. And I would say he didn't look as dynamic enough as you would like to see from your defensive driver. Especially if we are comparing him with talent of Michkov level. Is Reinbacher passer or playmaker? I didn't decide yet for myself. Would be better to look at how he is adapting on AHL level.

Michkov shouldn't be very good defensively because he isn't defenseman and he has exceptional offensive tools and vision. And he still read the game well to forecheck right player in right spot in o zone.

So for me Reinbacher has 35-45 points middle and 50-60 points ceiling(1st pair defenseman still if everything will going well) on my eye test with good/very good but not great defensive game. Michkov has 100+ points ceiling if he will play with goid partners with 70-85 points(~1ppg) middle if he will not have good partners or injuries will effect his game. Its a different stratosphere. And he would have good partners in Montreal.
I would be very interested to know how you came to that conclusion for Reinbacher. His biggest strengths are by far his gap control vs attackers, defensive positioning in the slot, skating and first pass. What he needs to work on is his stick work (which isn't that bad for a 19 years old) and use his body to protect the puck better on 1 on 1 battles. He was +6 on a team that went 4-7 in the last stretch and -16 in goal diff in that span. Very small sample size but he made a difference for Laval when he was on the ice. His skating is also above average so I'm not exactly sure what's the problem here.

I do agree that he should project in the 40-50 points on average in his prime. I don't think anyone expects him to become an offensive dynamo but his puck retrivial skill, skating, first pass and ability to eat a tons of minutes should make him a prime candidate for a first pair on a contender. Think prime Devon Toews but a bit bigger and stronger.

He also doesn't need to put up 65-75 points a year to be a #1 D. Look at a guy like Pietrangelo. He never had more than 54 points in a season yet he's a very solid #1 D and is able to play in all situations. Prime Reinbacher should be able to have the same kind of impact on a game/playoff series and that is more valuable to me than an elite winger who can put up 85-90 points - or at least much, much harder to find.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I would be very interested to know how you came to that conclusion for Reinbacher. His biggest strengths are by far his gap control vs attackers, defensive positioning in the slot, skating and first pass. What he needs to work on is his stick work (which isn't that bad for a 19 years old) and use his body to protect the puck better on 1 on 1 battles. He was +6 on a team that went 4-7 in the last stretch and -16 in goal diff in that span. Very small sample size but he made a difference for Laval when he was on the ice. His skating is also above average so I'm not exactly sure what's the problem here.

I do agree that he should project in the 40-50 points on average in his prime. I don't think anyone expects him to become an offensive dynamo but his puck retrivial skill, skating, first pass and ability to eat a tons of minutes should make him a prime candidate for a first pair on a contender. Think prime Devon Toews but a bit bigger and stronger.

He also doesn't need to put up 65-75 points a year to be a #1 D. Look at a guy like Pietrangelo. He never had more than 54 points in a season yet he's a very solid #1 D and is able to play in all situations. Prime Reinbacher should be able to have the same kind of impact on a game/playoff series and that is more valuable to me than an elite winger who can put up 85-90 points - or at least much, much harder to find.
Michkov will vie for the rocket in his prime . Additionally I think you’re being optimistic w Reins offence . But time will tell

Reactions: Devonator

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Gap control isn’t the same as positioning against the cycling.
His skating isn’t on the level with Heiskanen, Hughes(x2), Simashev, Sanderson etc. And he looks less mobile than Nemec on the shorter distances. So like I said - good but not great. I think Toews is better skater.
First pass isn’t the same as playmaking and decision making on the blue line in O zone cycling. And like I said I Didn’t decided yet what I thinking about this aspect, I saw as very good as not so great moments. For teenager in a good league it could be a growing process.
Puck protection against adult competition is a thing he will fix I believe. It’s more natural to develop.

So even from your words you are mentioning Pietro as his best case scenario . I don’t think Toews is more valuable than 1ppg+ winger. And I don’t think that Pietro is more valuable than 100+ points players. Offensive creators of this level is not just foundation- they are faces of franchises and league overall.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure people didn't think than McDavid would be better than Crosby, but...
A very large number considered McDavid to be better.

He went 7th for a reason. Either he is overrated or a cancer. And wanting to play for Philadelphia is a bad sign right there.

The 2024 draft had NOTHING to do with their choice.
Did you know Lidstrom went in the third round?? Must have been overrated or a cancer !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad