RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we put aside skills, I'd say the main difference between Michkov and Fantilli is competitiveness. Michkov is crazy competitive that's why he's always great anywhere he plays at. Fantilli needs a certain level of mental comfort to be successful. If he doesn't have one like it was at the WJC he won't look that great. He's kinda similar to Eichel who's a very good player but not what people used to expect from him...

How mentally comfortable do you think Michkov was last Fall when he was off his game?

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Michkov looks totally disinterested in the MHL. He is too good for that level and knows it. With that being said, If he chose to play there for thr playoffs, I wish he gave an honest effort. If he moved his feet like he was in the KHL it would be totally unfair.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Michkov looks totally disinterested in the MHL. He is too good for that level and knows it. With that being said, If he chose to play there for thr playoffs, I wish he gave an honest effort. If he moved his feet like he was in the KHL it would be totally unfair.
Some would perceive this as a character flaw as no doubt would some NHL scouts.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
do you know whos the owner of SKA ? theres nothing an NHL owner can give him that hes current owner cannot and ill easily wager you anything that Michkov aint breaking that contract
Well he's at most getting 2m USD in KHL, so I'd wager there's quite a bit more NHL owners could give him.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Some would perceive this as a character flaw as no doubt would some NHL scouts.
I don't dispute that. Frankly if I were a GM I would consider Fantilli at 2 for this reason. Michkov is still 2 for me for upside and talent, but I have not liked his MHL spell

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think the delay (contract situation) will impact where he will go.

Certainly a team like Columbus won't be drafting him, Anaheim probably not either. But I don't see that being the case for San Jose and Chicago, considering they've just started their rebuild and will be awful for the next 2-3 seasons anyway. Whether they have Michkov in the lineup or not in those years doesn't really matter, so the delay doesn't impact the value for these teams.

For teams that have been rebuilding for a while already and really want to stop being bad ASAP, Michkov will have less value compared to players who will start contributing right away or at least the following season (like Fantilli and Carlsson).

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think the delay (contract situation) will impact where he will go.

Certainly a team like Columbus won't be drafting him, Anaheim probably not either. But I don't see that being the case for San Jose and Chicago, considering they've just started their rebuild and will be awful for the next 2-3 seasons anyway. Whether they have Michkov in the lineup or not in those years doesn't really matter, so the delay doesn't impact the value for these teams.

For teams that have been rebuilding for a while already and really want to stop being bad ASAP, Michkov will have less value compared to players who will start contributing right away or at least the following season (like Fantilli and Carlsson).
Columbus should absolutely pick Michkov if they have the 4th pick

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Columbus should absolutely pick Michkov if they have the 4th pick
It's going to be a tough one. Columbus has one of the best prospect pools, some are already in the NHL, some are about to graduate, they just signed Gaudreau and got Laine too under contract, both wingers, the clock is ticking. Michkov coming in 2026(?) doesn't fit the timeline. But who knows, maybe they can't pass that kind of opportunity even in this scenario.

If they end up with 4th pick, I could see a rare case of trading up (to 2nd or 3rd) happening here.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
It's going to be a tough one. Columbus has one of the best prospect pools, some are already in the NHL, some are about to graduate, they just signed Gaudreau and got Laine too under contract, both wingers, the clock is ticking. Michkov coming in 2026(?) doesn't fit the timeline. But who knows, maybe they can't pass that kind of opportunity even in this scenario.

If they end up with 4th pick, I could see a rare case of trading up (to 2nd or 3rd) happening here.
Yeah I think Columbus is an odd fit due to the reasons you mentioned.

If Davidson (hawks gm) gets the green light from ownership (which has been rumored) to draft Michkov, I don’t think he’ll pass on him.

I think it has to be at 4, 1-3 I don’t think they’d do it.

Michkov is a “Franchise” type of player. Not sure CHI can afford to pass that up.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Only team in the bottom 4 I think would take a chance on Michkov is Columbus as well. For all the reasons mentioned.

I don't see Chicago picking him, they rarely draft Russian prospects (only 2 in their sytem) and also, even if the next few years will be difficult, Chicago will still want to put an exciting team as soon as possible on the ice because otherwise they wouldn't want to lose their fanbase and bring them back to those pre-Toews/Kaner horrible years. IMO, they will take a guy like Smith or Benson ahead of Michkov. To complement with the Reichel, Nazar and company.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Only team in the bottom 4 I think would take a chance on Michkov is Columbus as well. For all the reasons mentioned.

I don't see Chicago picking him, they rarely draft Russian prospects (only 2 in their sytem) and also, even if the next few years will be difficult, Chicago will still want to put an exciting team as soon as possible on the ice because otherwise they wouldn't want to lose their fanbase and bring them back to those pre-Toews/Kaner horrible years. IMO, they will take a guy like Smith or Benson ahead of Michkov. To complement with the Reichel, Nazar and company.
Hawks fans will riot if they take Smith or Benson ahead of Michkov.

The biggest issues with the pre Kane and Toews days is the games weren’t on tv. So no chance to build and maintain a fanbase. Hockey is decently popular in Chicago, there’s a lot more youth hockey these days for instance. I don’t think the hawks will fade into total obscurity like they did in the 1990s/early 2000s.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Hawks fans will riot if they take Smith or Benson ahead of Michkov.

The biggest issues with the pre Kane and Toews days is the games weren’t on tv. So no chance to build and maintain a fanbase. Hockey is decently popular in Chicago, there’s a lot more youth hockey these days for instance. I don’t think the hawks will fade into total obscurity like they did in the 1990s/early 2000s.
You obviously know more than me as a Hawks fan. I could be wrong but I felt they want to put on a young team right away. Wouldn't surprise if they go with Will Smith though. Young promising center to be the next #1 center eventually. But all depends at which spot you guys draft anyways.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You obviously know more than me as a Hawks fan. I could be wrong but I felt they want to put on a young team right away. Wouldn't surprise if they go with Will Smith though. Young promising center to be the next #1 center eventually. But all depends at which spot you guys draft anyways.
I think given the existing events and what they’ve done in the last 12 months they are OK tanking a bit longer and gunning for another top pick.

Reactions: Jabba11

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Sponsor
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Fantili is playing against kids. Carlsson is a point contributor in SHL exactly because he looks like an adult (6'3) and plays for a top team. This and a pedestrian showing at the wjc leaves the question about his ceiling as a prospect open. Tiny guy becoming a leader of a crappy khl team is much more impressive. And Michkov whould have dominated Fantili and Carlsson at the wjc, i'm sure.

I am on kind of board with the Michkov assessment here. We really missed the Russian team at the WJC and I hope there is a resolution that will bring them back. To me, Michkov looks competitive with Bedard. I get that may be a hot take.

But let's not diminish Carlsson for a "pedestrian" WJC. He was a force on that team in his draft year. We have four top talents in this draft. Their careers will be fun to watch.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki

The reasons mentioned were for Columbus NOT to draft Michkov.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If Columbus drafts him, who's to say Laine will still be here by then? If there's new management, he'd probably be the first one out the door. So the "Columbus won't draft him because they already have Laine and Gaudreau" talk doesn't make much sense to me.

VanP

Feb 21, 2022
He'll probably extend for 1 more year in the KHL after that. then come over when that season ends to play 1 game. it won't be a typical 3 year ECL contract. whatever team drafts and signs him will have to extend and pay up rather quickly. I'm sure he'll demand Bedard type of dollars after 1 NHL game. Buyer beware.
For the moment he can’t even get OUT of Russia and nothing says that he will not be forced to go to war….so big gamble drafting him

• Haha
Reactions: Flynn84 and olgerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad