RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Could be a decent confidence builder though
Yea and he is very skilled player potential future 100 point player no doubt and he isnt one dimensional player would say plays with better attitude/better all around game than most Russian star typic players great prospect overall, but just stating these practice game's dont mean much at all.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
When the kid who set (or was projected to set) historical scoring records in his junior leagues, the U-18s, his brief stint in the U-20s, the VHL, and the KHL, now comes to the NHL preseason and continues producing at an impressive rate, I am inclined to believe that it's just merely a continuation of what he does at every single level of hockey he gets thrown into. The sample size of "Michkov always rises to whatever level he's playing in and produces accordingly" is overwhelming.

Maybe it's just a temporary hot burst against weaker preseason competition, but at this point the burden of proof is on his competition to prove that he's not doing the same thing he always does.

dendazen

Sep 29, 2024
Watched him play 3 games live, puck handling, poise, puck protection reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk. I am not even Flyers fan, but live near Philly and my gf is a big flyers fan, so we go to flyers games for live NHL hockey so I am not hyping him up in anyway, but in Allentown at the rookie game vs Rangers, he was battling with the puck against big rangers D dudes, like 6'4" 6'5" and he was protecting the puck with one hand for like 10 - 15 seconds from both of them since his second hand was locked between one of the D guy and the board and they couldn't take a puck away from him, i literally thought it was unreal. Man he is so strong on the puck, has very soft hands, I haven't seen his shot yet much, besides a few one timers and this OT snipe, but the kid creates plays out of literally nothing, he is also so skillful at separating himself of opposition, like 1 second you see he is with 1 or 2 opponent and then boom, he has possession and free with some freak maneuver, some black magic. I don't think i have seen such talent in a while and I have been following NHL since 1998. I do believe he is on the level of Malkin, Datsyuk, Kaprizov, Kucherov, next Russian superstar in making.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To the teams that passed on this guy to allow him to drop to the Flyers,

Thanks a lot, you jerks. I hope you never have an ounce of success for this decision.

Sincerely,
A Penguins fan

• Haha
Reactions: Devonator

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Superstar in the making. And most of us aren't surprised.

I lost a ton of money betting on that draft with Michkov under 5.5 draft position. Despite the smoke I refused to believe GM's would actually let him fall out of the top 5. Insanity then and will only look worse over time.
How dumb does one have to be to bet on where a guy is drafted? There are people who actually have inside information here, and I'm guessing you were not one of them.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ive noticed Michkov's game became more 'bullish' after Rotenberg played him at center during last year's preseason.
Michkov then said he started studying how Sidney Crosby played.
I think Michkov first expressed that he had picked some stuff from Crosby's style of play even earlier, years before the draft.

And to people saying that Michkov has a bad shot - yeah, it's the thing I remember about him since his MHL days. He doesn't shoot particularly hard, or skate particularly fast, or stand out physically much, except the puck is always in the net :laugh:

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
OV played his actuall rookie season in Russia and then debuted 1 season later finishing 3rd in scoring. I don't think Michkov is at OVs level but I think he is a great russian prospect and 15th in scoring last season was around 90 points so maybe a 90-100 point rookie season isn’t that unlikly for Michkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad