RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
It's pre season, lets pump the brakes on this kid. Showing a lot of promise and potential for sure, but very different games, then comes playoffs. Definitely looking like a bargin pick-up for the Flyers and luck has been on their side.

Before anyone jumps all over me, I wasn't that impressed with Bedard's first season which was a bit of a let down after his CHL and WJC performances. Size still matters and both players are similar in that regard.

I'm pulling for both of them to be scoring machines and entertain crowds for years to come. MM seems to be adjusting nicely though.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
How many points are you guessing for his rookie year?
Some people are going to say real high numbers. I'm going to stick with a range of 50-75. The hype train is rolling hard right now and while I believe he is capable of exceeding that amount I think it is still probably best to set realistic expectations.

If he exceeds my realistic expectation that is dope. However, if I set the bar at 82 and he comes in at 65, that is a recipe for disappointment in what was actually terrific rookie production that should be applauded.

Also, his performance in preseason will lead to teams keying in on him in the regular season. Boston already did key in on him in this game. They were all over him physically. It literally led to Couturier dropping the mitts. The point here is his preseason performance has been noticed and if he is deemed a threat to the Flyers opponent's chance of winning teams will prepare to the best of their ability to stop him.

In conclusion, I hope he produces at an all star level, but I do not expect that out of a 19 year old. Possible, but not expected.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Some people are going to say real high numbers. I'm going to stick with a range of 50-75. The hype train is rolling hard right now and while I believe he is capable of exceeding that amount I think it is still probably best to set realistic expectations.

If he exceeds my realistic expectation that is dope. However, if I set the bar at 82 and he comes in at 65, that is a recipe for disappointment in what was actually terrific rookie production that should be applauded.

Also, his performance in preseason will lead to teams keying in on him in the regular season. Boston already did key in on him in this game. They were all over him physically. It literally led to Couturier dropping the mitts. The point here is his preseason performance has been noticed and if he is deemed a threat to the Flyers opponent's chance of winning teams will prepare to the best of their ability to stop him.

In conclusion, I hope he produces at an all star level, but I do not expect that out of a 19 year old. Possible, but not expected.
Yeah, a teenage rookie on a new continent that speaks a different language and a different culture, in the best league in the world…I doubt he’ll be getting ~80, especially on a middling offense like the Flyers. As a Flyers fan I’d love it but PPG is like Crosby, McDavid territory. I’m hoping for 60-70, which would still be incredible. I just hope Flyer and Michkov fans don’t hold him to impossible standards only to be disappointed when he doesn’t reach them

Reactions: antman12

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
When the kid who set (or was projected to set) historical scoring records in his junior leagues, the U-18s, his brief stint in the U-20s, the VHL, and the KHL, now comes to the NHL preseason and continues producing at an impressive rate, I am inclined to believe that it's just merely a continuation of what he does at every single level of hockey he gets thrown into. The sample size of "Michkov always rises to whatever level he's playing in and produces accordingly" is overwhelming.

Maybe it's just a temporary hot burst against weaker preseason competition, but at this point the burden of proof is on his competition to prove that he's not doing the same thing he always does.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ive noticed Michkov's game became more 'bullish' after Rotenberg played him at center during last year's preseason.
Michkov then said he started studying how Sidney Crosby played.
I think Michkov first expressed that he had picked some stuff from Crosby's style of play even earlier, years before the draft.

And to people saying that Michkov has a bad shot - yeah, it's the thing I remember about him since his MHL days. He doesn't shoot particularly hard, or skate particularly fast, or stand out physically much, except the puck is always in the net :laugh:

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
OV played his actuall rookie season in Russia and then debuted 1 season later finishing 3rd in scoring. I don't think Michkov is at OVs level but I think he is a great russian prospect and 15th in scoring last season was around 90 points so maybe a 90-100 point rookie season isn’t that unlikly for Michkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad