RW Matthew Coronato - Calgary Wranglers, AHL (2021, 13th, CGY)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Its gonna be hard for him to come back up unless there injures. Duehr is already sitting and once Pelletier comes back early next yr the fwd group is gonna be even more crowded. Also getting him used to the professional game load wont be the worst thing in the world.

Reactions: Dominance

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Figured it’s time for another bump, Coronato doesn’t get nearly enough attention for how insane of an AHL season he’s having. He’s up to 41 points in 38 games, which is stellar enough in his first full season in the A. The fact that stands out is the next leading scorer on the Wranglers has 31 points in 50 games on the season. Coronato in his first pro season is head and shoulders above the rest of his teammates offensively, at an age where that shouldn’t be the case.

He is overshadowed by the dynamic duo on the Dallas Stars’ affiliate team and for good reason, but he sits in 3rd for U22 points per game in the AHL (and 7th overall), all the while being on a bottom 10 offensive team. He definitely had to work on adjusting to the pros before he’s fully NHL ready, but this kid has very high potential at the NHL level.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Figured it’s time for another bump, Coronato doesn’t get nearly enough attention for how insane of an AHL season he’s having. He’s up to 41 points in 38 games, which is stellar enough in his first full season in the A. The fact that stands out is the next leading scorer on the Wranglers has 31 points in 50 games on the season. Coronato in his first pro season is head and shoulders above the rest of his teammates offensively, at an age where that shouldn’t be the case.

He is overshadowed by the dynamic duo on the Dallas Stars’ affiliate team and for good reason, but he sits in 3rd for U22 points per game in the AHL (and 7th overall), all the while being on a bottom 10 offensive team. He definitely had to work on adjusting to the pros before he’s fully NHL ready, but this kid has very high potential at the NHL level.
He's doing really well in the A but has looked a bit out of place in the league when he's been up with the Flames. Interesting case.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's doing really well in the A but has looked a bit out of place in the league when he's been up with the Flames. Interesting case.

I've watched probably 10 of his games this year between AHL/NHL and I'm not a fan even though the production looks good.

Looks really small, struggles defensively. Skating is OK but not the elite stuff you want to see from a small guy like this.

On that Wrangler team, I really like Yan Kuznetsov. Production isn't great but his skating/mobility/footwork is very strong and he's excellent defensively - solid defensive IQ, great reach. Good bet to turn into a Soucy/Edmundson type defender.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I've watched probably 10 of his games this year between AHL/NHL and I'm not a fan even though the production looks good.

Looks really small, struggles defensively. Skating is OK but not the elite stuff you want to see from a small guy like this.

On that Wrangler team, I really like Yan Kuznetsov. Production isn't great but his skating/mobility/footwork is very strong and he's excellent defensively - solid defensive IQ, great reach. Good bet to turn into a Soucy/Edmundson type defender.

You have to remember he's still a 1st year pro, so of course he has some areas he needs to improve upon. His production can't be overlooked. Cull has him killing penalties and is using him in late game situations so his defense may be a work in progress but I certainly wouldn't say it's an issue either. He's a competitive kid, with a non-stop motor, so it more or less becomes about learning how to overcome the size/strength differences.

He looked a step behind in the NHL at times, sure, but once he figures out the speed and timing at the level, watch out. I'd be very surprised if Coronato doesn't go on to score a ton of goals at the NHL level.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Guy is never going to be a burner, and that’s ok. He will add to his skating, ever since the AHL team has moved to Calgary they’ve done much better at adding skating elements to prospects (Zary and Pospisil immediately come to mind on the current roster). But his strengths lay in his tenacity and smarts more than his skating. He is more of the archetype of small forwards willing to use strength and low centre of gravity to win puck battles than to use elite skating to avoid them, which is still something he’ll need time to build with the jump to pros and especially the NHL. He still has too much smarts, offensive IQ, and goal scoring talent to not have success at the next level eventually though, which can be shown by the large amount he’s out producing the rest of his teammates currently.

You’re right about Kuznetsov though. He’s the type of player no fans will ever get excited about, mainly due to him having the offensive potential of a Chris Tanev. His defensive play, size, and skating especially in regards to 4 directional movement are all fantastic, hard not to see him carve out a role as a new age defensive defenseman in the NHL. Whether that’s on a 3rd pair or a 2nd pair is the real question.

Reactions: KristichBabych

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You have to remember he's still a 1st year pro, so of course he has some areas he needs to improve upon. His production can't be overlooked. Cull has him killing penalties and is using him in late game situations so his defense may be a work in progress but I certainly wouldn't say it's an issue either. He's a competitive kid, with a non-stop motor, so it more or less becomes about learning how to overcome the size/strength differences.

He looked a step behind in the NHL at times, sure, but once he figures out the speed and timing at the level, watch out. I'd be very surprised if Coronato doesn't go on to score a ton of goals at the NHL level.

Guy is never going to be a burner, and that’s ok. He will add to his skating, ever since the AHL team has moved to Calgary they’ve done much better at adding skating elements to prospects (Zary and Pospisil immediately come to mind on the current roster). But his strengths lay in his tenacity and smarts more than his skating. He is more of the archetype of small forwards willing to use strength and low centre of gravity to win puck battles than to use elite skating to avoid them, which is still something he’ll need time to build with the jump to pros and especially the NHL. He still has too much smarts, offensive IQ, and goal scoring talent to not have success at the next level eventually though, which can be shown by the large amount he’s out producing the rest of his teammates currently.

You’re right about Kuznetsov though. He’s the type of player no fans will ever get excited about, mainly due to him having the offensive potential of a Chris Tanev. His defensive play, size, and skating especially in regards to 4 directional movement are all fantastic, hard not to see him carve out a role as a new age defensive defenseman in the NHL. Whether that’s on a 3rd pair or a 2nd pair is the real question.

I'm fully aware that Flames fans will love Coronato's production and strongly disagree with what I'm saying. And fair enough!

My spidey senses have just said 'AAAA player' based on what I've seen of him this year.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I'm fully aware that Flames fans will love Coronato's production and strongly disagree with what I'm saying. And fair enough!

My spidey senses have just said 'AAAA player' based on what I've seen of him this year.
I think it’d be fair to argue whether he tops out as just a high motor 3rd liner or if he truly does have top line potential, but based off his age and current production he’d be an absolute unicorn to be a “too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL” player, like it’d be relatively unheard of levels of stagnation.

Over the last 10 years, the list of rookie AHLers with his points per game or better and a reasonable games played are:
Rantanen
Vatrano
Dylan Strome
Guentzel
Cooper Marody
Norris
Jack Quinn
Maccelli
Stankoven

So 1 bust in a 10 year span. Coronato has pretty good odds of being an NHLer, biases aside. The fact that he is 1 of 10 players to accomplish what he has in a 10 year window, along with the tools he does have is why Flames fans should be excited.

Reactions: josra33

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I think it’d be fair to argue whether he tops out as just a high motor 3rd liner or if he truly does have top line potential, but based off his age and current production he’d be an absolute unicorn to be a “too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL” player, like it’d be relatively unheard of levels of stagnation.

Over the last 10 years, the list of rookie AHLers with his points per game or better and a reasonable games played are:
Rantanen
Vatrano
Dylan Strome
Guentzel
Cooper Marody
Norris
Jack Quinn
Maccelli
Stankoven

So 1 bust in a 10 year span. Coronato has pretty good odds of being an NHLer, biases aside. The fact that he is 1 of 10 players to accomplish what he has in a 10 year window, along with the tools he does have is why Flames fans should be excited.
And Marody was a full year older than Coronato when he had his rookie AHL season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Had a good night in Seattle opening game of the preseason with a G and 2A. Unsure where exactly he fits roster wise but if he can continue to make plays like this he should be on the big club.

He should definitely make the team and play in an offensive role. I think the Flames have sometimes been a bit too patient with some of their top young prospects, leaving them in the minors for a bit too long before calling them up only to play in limited roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad