RW Matthew Coronato - Calgary Wranglers, AHL (2021, 13th, CGY)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Toffoli 2.0
A lot of the similarities are there, but also some key differences. Both guys make up for there being nothing special about their skating with out right hustle, and both love engaging in puck battles. Both have a wrister that’s just out right capable of beating a goalie 1 on 1 from distance. Coronato however, definitely has more in his tool box for scoring goals. The guy loves battling and corralling loose pucks around the net to pot the greasy goals, or getting open for back door tap ins. Also has pretty good skills for getting tip in goals when he’s working around the net. Toffoli on the other hand owes a lot of his success to a pretty high end hockey IQ, something we will have to see if Coronato has in the big leagues. Toffoli is probably better at utilizing his linemates too.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He and Pelletier looked excellent out there together. Lots of chemistry, which isn't too surprising considering their play styles.

Kid reminds me so much of RH Andrew Mangiapane. Both guys are competitive undersized wings with a great release and a nose for the puck. I think Coronato's shot is probably a bit heavier, while Mangiapane is the better skater. I expect Coronato to have similar rates of production at 5v5, while probably getting more PP usage (and therefore PP points).

He's got a real good shot at becoming a consistent 30g 60p winger.

For those who think that might be shortchanging Coronato by comparing him to Mangiapane, consider that Mangiapane's 5v5 scoring rate has been anywhere from ~2.0 to 2.25 over the last 4 years, which is low end 1st line / high end 2nd line production. This despite really poor puck luck this year - this was the first time in his career where he failed to outperform his individual expected goals at 5v5. In the prior 4 years, he scored 61G vs 43.3 ixG at 5v5 while shooting at 16.0% sh%. This year he had only 15G on 18.4 ixG, a 10.6% sh%.

Ironically, this was Mangiapane's best season in terms of5v5 ixG/60 and on ice xGF/60:

1681373791595.png

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Coronato definitely had some chances last night and was very noticeable in a good way. Given how tight the Flames will be against the cap, there should be lots of opportunity for rookies to fill in the open spots in the lineup.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Coronato definitely had some chances last night and was very noticeable in a good way. Given how tight the Flames will be against the cap, there should be lots of opportunity for rookies to fill in the open spots in the lineup.
No points. He is a bust

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Another goal for Coronato, which I believe ties him with Bratt for the preseason lead with 4. He beats a set Hellebucyk cleanly here from 20ft. Would add 2A in this game, which I believe also ties him with Bratt for the league pts lead with 7.

You would think he's safely made the team but this is the Flames we're talking about here so you never know. Looks like a good bet to be a quality top six player, maybe not right away but down the road. Even possibly a RS top line RW, which unless I'm missing somebody the Flames haven't drafted since the likes of Theoren Fleury.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
My bold claim use to be that Coronato was going to have multiple 30 goal seasons at the NHL level. It has quickly turned into he is scoring 20 just this year and maybe 25 if he gets any powerplay time. Kid has the rare combo of being able to score in tight while also having the shot that can beat a goalie clean from distance. Kids gonna score goals, but is also an absolute puck hound to keep him useful during cold streaks.

Reactions: Figgy44 and Haatley

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I don't know what his ceiling is, but with his shot, if he continues to forecheck and get on loose pucks the way he has in the preseason, he's going to have a job in the league for a long time.

Reactions: Figgy44 and Haatley

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Jaysus, this kid looks good! No way he is not making the team, they desperately need him on the roster this year.

Reactions: Haatley

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My bold claim use to be that Coronato was going to have multiple 30 goal seasons at the NHL level. It has quickly turned into he is scoring 20 just this year and maybe 25 if he gets any powerplay time. Kid has the rare combo of being able to score in tight while also having the shot that can beat a goalie clean from distance. Kids gonna score goals, but is also an absolute puck hound to keep him useful during cold streaks.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his overall offensive production will be either. I could see it being a bit all over the place, similar to a Tyler Toffoli, which as a Kings fan I know all too well, as he would go on runs that get you excited about him breaking through to that next tier only to taper off. The big difference is what you point out is that even when Coronato is going through those dry spells, his style will still allow him to positively affect the game.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Felt like the World Championships were his coming out party so this trajectory is no surprise. Stats-wise he was overshadowed by Farrell at Harvard but it’s clear who the better player at the next level will be (no knock on Farrell who was a dynamite collegiate playmaker and a 4th round pick, not a 1st rounder).

I can see him having a rookie year similar to Jack Quinn did for the Sabres last year. Shuffled around the top nine, probably some spells of great production along with the usual rookie dips. Solid play and impact in all zones. Probably not prolific enough to be a genuine Calder threat (especially not this year) - but could definitely be one of the better rookie forwards in the league.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Felt like the World Championships were his coming out party so this trajectory is no surprise. Stats-wise he was overshadowed by Farrell at Harvard but it’s clear who the better player at the next level will be (no knock on Farrell who was a dynamite collegiate playmaker and a 4th round pick, not a 1st rounder).

I can see him having a rookie year similar to Jack Quinn did for the Sabres last year. Shuffled around the top nine, probably some spells of great production along with the usual rookie dips. Solid play and impact in all zones. Probably not prolific enough to be a genuine Calder threat (especially not this year) - but could definitely be one of the better rookie forwards in the league.
His coming out party should’ve been a long time ago, people were just shaken off by his flat stats in his second year at Harvard because they never knew the context behind it. He was moved from wing to centre while being asked to take on a larger defensive role that season, a move that would hamper any players numbers. This kid was never going to be a centre long term, it’s not suited for the game he plays.

Nobody has scored more goals than him in the USHL in the past 12 years, he put up Caufield numbers in his first year in the NCAA (not saying he’s ever had a Caufield trajectory), 4 goals and 7 points in 5 WJC games, and 8 points in 10 games as a 20 year old at the WC. Should’ve been a much more talked about prospect for a while now.

Calgary’s weakness at RW could be Coronato’s boon this season. They still don’t even have a player locked in to play the right side on their top powerplay let alone the second unit, although it looks like Sharangovich is being groomed for it. Think he puts up more points than Quinn just due to general opportunity presented to him, although for general effectiveness it’s probably an apt comparison. Coronato is the only right shot winger on Calgary’s roster, he will most likely be handed opportunity this year on a silver platter because they need him badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad