RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
It could actually be the other way around. Hughes may look younger than his actual age, but there's no guarantee that he will physically develop that much more, as different people physically mature at different rates and times.

Kakko on the other hand could physically develop a lot and gain 15-20lbs of muscle(which would put him in the weight range of most NHL players of his current height)...or not at all and stay at his current height/weight for the rest of his playing career.

In the end I don't think it matters that much. Hughes' most important asset is his brain and he's shown it to be superior to that of every draft eligible player.

Superior? In my limited views Hughes lack defensive awareness, play without the puck and defensive IQ alot compared to Turcotte for example. Hughes has elite combination of offensive skills and might be most creative foward out there with the puck but the difference isn’t superior by any means. From my limited views Hughes is best offensive player of this draft and his ceiling is really really high but he is raw player without the puck because he have not figured out to win board battles even against his peers. His brains are not even close being superior to any smart player in this draft and i’m not sure if he is even smartest player in this draft. Offensive creativity isn’t only factor to measure brain capacity of hockey player. Extremely arrogant point from you.

It is totally different to outsmart junior players compared to experienced pro players. I remember when draft analyst casters were raving Burmistrov being by far smartest player of his draft and it will surely translate into next level but he looked one of the dumb players in NHL? When you play against smarter more experienced players it will require you to be much smarter too. Even if player look like professor against junior players like Burmistrov it’s not guaranteed it will translate into next level. I’m not saying Hughes would not do it against men because we don’t know but there is no reason to make Kakko look worse because he plays in pro league and actually clowns grown up men at times.

Finally i think Hughes was best player at U18 WC’s and i think right now he is favourite to go #1 but he is not lock for that by any means.

Last edited:
May 22, 2016
Finland
It could actually be the other way around. Hughes may look younger than his actual age, but there's no guarantee that he will physically develop that much more, as different people physically mature at different rates and times.

Kakko on the other hand could physically develop a lot and gain 15-20lbs of muscle(which would put him in the weight range of most NHL players of his current height)...or not at all and stay at his current height/weight for the rest of his playing career.

In the end I don't think it matters that much. Hughes' most important asset is his brain and he's shown it to be superior to that of every draft eligible player.
It's not superior against Kakko. You should see the what kinds of tricks he's able to pull off in a mens league.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Cmon guys. Crosby, McDavid etc. turned out being the very best in the NHL even tho playing in juniors.

If a player can really handle it, it's often IMO beneficial to play against men development wise. It's not a requirement to become a 1st overall pick though.

Talent is talent, no matter in which league you play in your draft year. If Kakko ends up being 2nd overall next summer, we Finns should be super happy. A lot would have to happen for him to become 1st overall - Hughes having a very meh year, Hughes getting injured for extremely long period of time, Kakko starting to play center and play just as good or better there as he is playing winger, etc.

We have a gem in Kakko. Let's just be happy about that.

SaekkiPaelli

Oct 1, 2011
How exactly is he clearly ahead of Kakko? Kakko's playing against men and is way more physically mature than Hughes.

I love Kakko I think he already is a stud. But if the draft was right now I think 29/31 teams would pick Hughes for sure. Toronto and Edmonton might be the only teams that might consider Kakko. And Edmonton is a reach here as well. Maybe Florida, if they think Trochek can sustain this level. And even these teams probably pick Hughes and move one of the centers to wing, or trade someone for assets. If Kakko moved to center without losing effectiveness it would be a lot closer, or if he has an insane season in liiga(talking a lot over PPG, something like 1.2 etc), othewise I just don't see him overtaking Hughes, as long as he doesn't stagnate or soemwhow become worse.

But honeslty us finnish fans should be super happy, since there is finally a real second golden generation (not the M Koivu and T Ruutu generation) of players coming up in the system. It doesn' really matter if someone is picked 1st or 2nd or 100th, what matters is how they play during their porfeissonal career. No need to obsess over having a 1st overall pick. Being picked 1st doesn't automatically mean you'll become a star or the best player in the draft.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I really don´t care where Kakko is picked. I am just happy he´s parading under the finnish flag because we have been starved of this kind of player for many years (if not ever). Closest one is Rantanen but i think Kakko´s offense is on a different level. Is there any other comparable finnish player??

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I love Kakko I think he already is a stud. But if the draft was right now I think 29/31 teams would pick Hughes for sure. Toronto and Edmonton might be the only teams that might consider Kakko. And Edmonton is a reach here as well. Maybe Florida, if they think Trochek can sustain this level. And even these teams probably pick Hughes and move one of the centers to wing, or trade someone for assets. If Kakko moved to center without losing effectiveness it would be a lot closer, or if he has an insane season in liiga(talking a lot over PPG, something like 1.2 etc), othewise I just don't see him overtaking Hughes, as long as he doesn't stagnate or soemwhow become worse.

But honeslty us finnish fans should be super happy, since there is finally a real second golden generation (not the M Koivu and T Ruutu generation) of players coming up in the system. It doesn' really matter if someone is picked 1st or 2nd or 100th, what matters is how they play during their porfeissonal career. No need to obsess over having a 1st overall pick. Being picked 1st doesn't automatically mean you'll become a star or the best player in the draft.
Agree with what you're saying and i find the obsession to have a Finnish 1st overall pick weird. Who cares? What does it matter? Is it just for the sake of arguing endlessly?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Agree with what you're saying and i find the obsession to have a Finnish 1st overall pick weird. Who cares? What does it matter? Is it just for the sake of arguing endlessly?
It's an achievement, like any other. What does any achievement matter? What do sports matter? What does life matter? What does Planet Earth matter?

It's still something that'll go down in the history of NHL....

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Most important thing is how they develope post draft. Draft selection is just number and it might guarantee you a better look in NHL club and shitload of expectations but not certain success. It didn’t hurt Aho to be picked in 2nd round. It might just get them fired up to prove them being the best.

I would be excited for state of Finnish hockey right now because we produce elite talents every year. We got to see elite prospects in liiga every year. This is the golden age of Finnish hockey enjoy the ride.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Most important thing is how they develope post draft. Draft selection is just number and it might guarantee you a better look in NHL club and ****load of expectations but not certain success. It didn’t hurt Aho to be picked in 2nd round. It might just get them fired up to prove them being the best.

I would be excited for state of Finnish hockey right now because we produce elite talents every year. We got to see elite prospects in liiga every year. This is the golden age of Finnish hockey enjoy the ride.

Couldn't really agree more. I think the whole "center above all" idealism has gotten a little out of hands though within the recent years and while the media keeps hammering this concept, it's really starting to stick with the fans. I suppose it's also got a lot to do with the top end centers drafted recently such as McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Barkov etc (and the hype that comes along). Of course I don't disagree about C being the most important position, but I'm just not buying the sentiment as a whole by which it's being marketed. To me it's always been the BPA over everything and in this case it may be Kakko or it may be Hughes, if not someone else entirely - something which no one can 100% guarantee before the spring of 2019. Personally, I consider drafts with real actual competition for the top spots much more enjoyable to follow, as opposed to 2018 for instance where everyone knew who was going first and who'd be the next to follow onto the podium.

As a Finn of course it would be kewl to have the first ever #1 OA and I think Kakko has the entire packet with the potential for going as high as any person next to him from his age class. With that said, organization holding with lets say 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick, I'd still rather have my personal favourite joining the club that has the brighter looking future even if that meant being picked lower. Although right of this moment I don't really care, I just enjoy watching this kid so much and be excited about this new Golden Age of hockey the country is living.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I am kinda surprised Finland hasnt had a 1st OA yet with their hockey culture. Saku Koivo is probably the most impressive finnish player I ever seen. I dont remember his draft year but could been 1st overall.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am kinda surprised Finland hasnt had a 1st OA yet with their hockey culture. Saku Koivo is probably the most impressive finnish player I ever seen. I dont remember his draft year but could been 1st overall.
I think hes the 2nd most talented finnish ever, but Pronger trumps him in his draft.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I still find it pretty damn hard to contemplate with the idea that even with the major changes in the youth training/program could have this big of an impact. I'm just glad that the Finnish Hockey Federation eventually woke up enough to steal the manuscript from the Swedes and actually implemented these changes, instead of going forward with the good old concept of "Meidän Peli". Considering the nation-wide population, it's still kind of nuts that even such a thing could have this large of an outcome.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I still find it pretty damn hard to contemplate with the idea that even with the major changes in the youth training/program could have this big of an impact. I'm just glad that the Finnish Hockey Federation eventually woke up enough to steal the manuscript from the Swedes and actually implemented these changes, instead of going forward with the good old concept of "Meidän Peli". Considering the nation-wide population, it's still kind of nuts that even such a thing could have this large of an outcome.
It is kinda breath of fresh air that every year there seems to be an elite talent. This year is no different with Kakko.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Other than an exception or two (Selanne, Kurri), Finland just pumped out safe players. Solid two-way guys. It must be specific to how these kids were developed. Now they seem to have more and more elite talents, so they must have changed their approach. Laine could have gone 1st overall most years.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Other than an exception or two (Selanne, Kurri), Finland just pumped out safe players. Solid two-way guys. It must be specific to how these kids were developed. Now they seem to have more and more elite talents, so they must have changed their approach. Laine could have gone 1st overall most years.
Safe players is like swedens forte

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
What is this about Hughes needing to have a "meh" year for Kakko to go 1st? Sounds to me like an arbitrary hurdle people throw to stack the odds against Kakko. If Hughes had a meh season that would not only jeopardize his position as 1st overall, it would be quite alarming for a prospect to regress on his draft year without an injury reason. Looking at their skill levels right now, Kakko only needs to have a strong enough year to surpass him, draft year is what matters. The other guy doesnt need to regress.

Reactions: Koijari

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
You mean the fair play "kaikki pelaa" concept? Nothing to do with "meidän peli".

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
TPS has been absolute crap the last two games. Last game was weak from Kakko, too, but today he's been the only one who seems to care. He has drawn three penalties for his team.

I thought this clip would be worth posting;

He was hooked three times in the span of 8 seconds and still kept perfect control of the puck. :laugh:

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
TPS has been absolute crap the last two games. Last game was weak from Kakko, too, but today he's been the only one who seems to care. He has drawn three penalties for his team.

I thought this clip would be worth posting;

Did we go back to clutch and grab era? He is like the second coming of Forsberg.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
You mean the fair play "kaikki pelaa" concept? Nothing to do with "meidän peli".

Aye, correct.

He was hooked three times in the span of 8 seconds and still kept perfect control of the puck. :laugh:

Draw I think 4 penalties and the only way for them to contain him was by hooking, holding and by whatever prohibited ways. That lower body strength is something else and it's extremely rare (if not unprecedented) seeing 17 yo taking a role of a power forward in one of the best pro leagues in the world. And by that I mean being able to practically consistently pulling whatever dekes off by using sheer strength and skill (as opposed to occasionally getting away with some moves). Of course the NHL will be even tougher but he'll have another year to prepare for that.

Despite of ending up off the score sheet I thought this was one of his best performances. Those multi-point games will come, but got to remember this is FEL and scoring today is damn hard (no matter how great you play). Got to agree with the earlier notion that TPS hasn't been playing up to it's best level so far.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I think hes the 2nd most talented finnish ever, but Pronger trumps him in his draft.
Um Selanne and Kurri? Also although early in their careers I would say that Barkov and Laine are both far more talented than Koivu was as well. You could definitely make a case for him being too 5 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad