RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
There were concerns with Kotkaniemi that he wouldn't be a center because he played wing in Liiga but looks even better at center now.

Exactly. Although I do think a lot of that has more to do with development & great off-season than reverting back to natural position. Nonetheless, Kotkaniemi's qualities as a player are better served in the middle and the same most certainly could be said about Kakko. The latter is far ahead of the former looking at them at the same age, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if TPS attempted to transition him into the C role moving forward. Kakko has literally no glaring weaknesses and has the physicality most teenagers could only dream of. I think he'd do great already in the middle. We'll find out if not sooner then probably after three months when the WJCs begin.

TPS is facing Ässät in today's game. /#MKGA!!

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He has a lot of junior things he needs to get rid of. He's a bit too selfish with the puck, needs to pass more (or faster) and play a simpler game. The second thing he needs to do is drive to the net. His junior coach said that Kaapo once told him that he'd "rather go to school than to the net". He has a very strong will to win and be the hero, which is a good thing, but it shows as frustration when things don't go his way (Hasn't scored in the last 2½ games, and you can see he's frustrated). That being said, he's still pretty much the best player on the ice whenever he steps on it, scoring or not. A very talented player, but still very young and maybe a bit childish.

I don't think the scouts care about that, because NHL will rid youngsters of these things.

Just thought i'd post some criticism, since it might be a bit lacking because the kid is very very flashy and exciting to watch.

E: He has drawn 3 penalties tonight. 0+0 though.

E2: I hope he learned an important lesson tonight. Played selfish in overtime, didn't pass, dangled with the puck until he fell down behind the opponent goal, which led into the opponents scoring on a breakaway. Exactly what i was talking about.

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He is the most dominant player I've seen from U18 players in Liiga. Absolutely ridiculous how he is able manhandle grown men along the boards forcing them to take penalties. 6 or 7 drawn penalties in his last two games, crazy.

He has a lot of junior things he needs to get rid of. He's a bit too selfish with the puck, needs to pass more (or faster) and play a simpler game. The second thing he needs to do is drive to the net. His junior coach said that Kaapo once told him that he'd "rather go to school than to the net". He has a very strong will to win and be the hero, which is a good thing, but it shows as frustration when things don't go his way (Hasn't scored in the last 2½ games, and you can see he's frustrated). That being said, he's still pretty much the best player on the ice whenever he steps on it, scoring or not. A very talented player, but still very young and maybe a bit childish.

I don't think the scouts care about that, because NHL will rid youngsters of these things.

Just thought i'd post some criticism, since it might be a bit lacking because the kid is very very flashy and exciting to watch.

E2: I hope he learned an important lesson tonight. Played selfish in overtime, didn't pass, dangled with the puck until he fell down behind the opponent goal, which led into the opponents scoring on a breakaway. Exactly what i was talking about.

He has lots of similarities with Laine despite them being eventually very different players. Laine also liked to hog the puck a bit too much at times in Liiga but usually that kind of puck hogging resulted into good things instead bad, and atleast to me it was encouraging to see he didn't become afraid of doing those things even if something bad sometimes happened. It seems like that ratio of good things happening instead bad is even higher with Kakko than it was Laine, so I'm personally fine with him holding onto puck as long as he isn't losing it. He has the time and space in Liiga so he should use it but sure, once he is in NHL, he will have to drop some of that because there won't be that kind of time and space.

I believe even Kotkaniemi was last season blamed for holding onto puck a bit too much. It's just a normal thing when players know they are more skilled than everyone else on the ice and at the same time they also want to impress the scouts and show what they are capable of. It's not like they don't see the opening for a pass but rather them trying to wait for the teammate to get into even better spot for scoring.

But just like with every other talented young player, Kakko will learn to do things more efficiently and I'm sure in 6 months he already looks like a different player than now.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Waiting for the gif on his assist, makes me knowlage that I have started to tanke it for granted. Really love you all for feeding us with gifs ❤️

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seriously needs to give it up earlier, though.
Why? He's in Liiga, playing with a bunch of Liiga players. He should hold onto the puck for as long as possible. Many talented players give the puck to a teammate "when they should" and that leads to nothing good happening when they make a bad play and give it up.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I can't wait to see Hughes and Kakko go head to head in WJC.

Saw them in the 5 nations in Plymouth last year. Kakko was really impressive. I think he's the best player in the draft, but i'm basing it off the week I saw him in person. Consider the source though I believe Quinn Hughes is better than Dahlin......

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If you're the Canucks what do you do if you get the chance to draft the first overall pick in 2019? (Just hopeful speculation)

Go with Kakko or take Jack Hughes and have the Hughes brothers for the next decade. Tough decision, I really like Kakko.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If you're the Canucks what do you do if you get the chance to draft the first overall pick in 2019? (Just hopeful speculation)

Go with Kakko or take Jack Hughes and have the Hughes brothers for the next decade. Tough decision, I really like Kakko.

I think you likely go with Hughes. Having two brothers of their calibre playing together would be huge for marketing purposes.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I’ve watched a few recent games of his, and I honestly think he may challenge that 1 spot regardless of position. This guy is incredible.
Yeah. I've not seen a Finnish prospect like this, ever. He makes something happen almost every time he steps on the ice. The kinda guy people will pay to see live.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

You are absolutely right. But at the same time it is so amazing that this is is 17 and he is able to hold puck like that in Liiga. This kid is just bonkers

Yeah. I've not seen a Finnish prospect like this, ever. He makes something happen almost every time he steps on the ice. The kinda guy people will pay to see live.

Yeah he is so freaking entertaining to watch right now. Kinda like Nathan Mackinnon in NHL. Really fun and entertaining to watch.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad