RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Kakko’s diabetes and celiac disease have been diagnosed already 5 years ago and he has been getting the proper treatment and care after that. So I don’t think at least those illnesses were causing him any problems during the WJC.

Indeed. If he were to look sick as an 18 year old due to being a type 1 diabetic there would be something going very wrong with his treatment

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston

"After the tournament, the Winnipeg Jets goalie Patrik Laine also praised the Finnish team and predicted Kako to be the first NHL."

Something tells me Google translate isn't accurate in translating this.

Interesting that Laine compares Kakko to Auston Matthews except a bit smaller and says that he thinks Kakko will go #1.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
"After the tournament, the Winnipeg Jets goalie Patrik Laine also praised the Finnish team and predicted Kako to be the first NHL."

Something tells me Google translate isn't accurate in translating this

Yeah. :D

Basically article goes through his career, characteristics, stats, salary, diseases etc. basic information about him, and what other people have said about him. Rather synoptic article "Who is Kaapo Kakko? - Review to his career and statistics".

Basically nothing that haven't been written or said elsewhere, but all relevant to know the man gathered into same article.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Indeed. If he were to look sick as an 18 year old due to being a type 1 diabetic there would be something going very wrong with his treatment
Im sure it likely wont negatively affect him greatly over his career - there is no perfect science to any of this. Anyone can become sick at any time, especially someone with a pre-disposition to problems

Treatments are exactly that, not a cure. So its always possible he could be sick sometimes from his diabetes - just not very likely.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well he could've just say that Kakko is going to be phenomenal player on NHL and not talk about draft.
Youre not wrong! but its also not uncommon to be supportive of someone entering such a major point in their life.

Im sure he knows Kaapo is working hard and wants to reassure him he sees it.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Big question tonight is if Kakko can score any points against GB? He should be able to pad his stats because they look like the worst team out there in the group (playing quite well anyways!!). I think Denmark did what they could to contain the finnish team and Kakko but it was not enough

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Big question tonight is if Kakko can score any points against GB? He should be able to pad his stats because they look like the worst team out there in the group (playing quite well anyways!!). I think Denmark did what they could to contain the finnish team and Kakko but it was not enough
If you think GB is the worst team, you have not seen Italy and Austria.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Could Kakko be streaky? I’m legitimately asking cause I haven’t followed him as much as most of you guys. I’ve mostly seen just highlights and nt games. Some of you were saying he wasn’t as good in the early season, but picked up in the later part. I didn’t think he looked very good in the pre-tournament games, but now has looked absolutely amazing in the real games.

I’m also a finn so don’t jump on me fellow countrymen :P Would love to see Kakko go first, but I don’t want to see a Laine like goal drought.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Little late, but about yesterday's goal against Denmark. Many have said, how goalie played it wrong, but that's one thing, what enables him to show skills like that. It's not that rare goalies overplay situations like that. But many players can't use that to their advantage. Kakko did there. He recognized situation and didn't shoot, but used the space goalie left there to make a deke. That's showing his hockey IQ and hands. Best players identify situations and choose best way to use misplays for their advantage.

If goalie hadn't overplayed situation and he had scored, we could have said it's good shot, but I think, this gave us more.

Reactions: Kiekura

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Could Kakko be streaky? I’m legitimately asking cause I haven’t followed him as much as most of you guys. I’ve mostly seen just highlights and nt games. Some of you were saying he wasn’t as good in the early season, but picked up in the later part. I didn’t think he looked very good in the pre-tournament games, but now has looked absolutely amazing in the real games.

I’m also a finn so don’t jump on me fellow countrymen :P Would love to see Kakko go first, but I don’t want to see a Laine like goal drought.
Has Kakko been streaky? He's steadily scored some 0.9 goals per game vs men since November.
Little late, but about yesterday's goal against Denmark. Many have said, how goalie played it wrong, but that's one thing, what enables him to show skills like that. It's not that rare goalies overplay situations like that. But many players can't use that to their advantage. Kakko did there. He recognized situation and didn't shoot, but used the space goalie left there to make a deke. That's showing his hockey IQ and hands. Best players identify situations and choose best way to use misplays for their advantage.

If goalie hadn't overplayed situation and he had scored, we could have said it's good shot, but I think, this gave us more.
People didn't even notice Kakko going for a fake shot and the goalie biting for it, of course they wouldn't understand. It's a very small move that makes the goalie think he's going to shoot, Kakko's very subtle with his moves but players bite. At that distance the goalie can't just react when the shot has been fired, it's too close.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston

The story is that earlier on in season Kakko tried to pass too much and his teammates not able to capitalize. In second half of season he started to take matters into his own hand more often and score more goals. Plus he's been constantly improving throughout the year. Less than a year ago a lot of people viewed him as "potentially a top 5 prospect" and now he's challenging for #1.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives

There was an interview of the Danish goalie and he said he had watched a lot of videos of Kakko and he was sure he was going to shoot the puck. He went just a little too far out and got tricked by the magician ;)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

I thought his line simply didn't have any chemistry in the pretournament games. He didn't really play worse, the line was out of sync and thus they had a lot less possession and as a result scoring chances.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There was an interview of the Danish goalie and he said he had watched a lot of videos of Kakko and he was sure he was going to shoot the puck. He went just a little too far out and got tricked by the magician ;)
Yes. And Kakko saying he initially wanted to shoot but as the Goalie got so far up to him he decided to go around him. A great presence of mind. Most guys would have shot at the crest.
I thought his line simply didn't have any chemistry in the pretournament games. He didn't really play worse, the line was out of sync and thus they had a lot less possession and as a result scoring chances.
They honestly don't seem to have great chemistry even now.

Reactions: Lupul1990
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad