RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think people feel Hughes has more to gain by maturing and growing than Kakko does. It's been kind of common knowledge that Kakko may be more NHL ready...he's bigger, he's been playing against men, etc. Hughes has still been considered 1st overall even so because people project that he wil have the bigger impact as he develops. He literally has all of the tools except great size which isn't a big barrier in the NHL any more, and even though he's 5'10 170 lbs. Entirely possible he could grow a bit more, and almost certain he will put on some more muscle.

In the end Hughes is viewed as the more complete package. He's a center and literally the only thing he lacks is a few inches in height
Just, what on the bolded? Kakko's clearly the more complete package. The narratives get odder and odder. Do you want me to go into detail?

So what is Kakko weak at? He's good at every traditional attribute that NHL scouts love. What's his question mark? Skating, seriously? His skating's very good for his size and age, and it's the easiest attribute to improve over time. He's physically dominant vs men and will be even more dominant in a few years. He stickhandles in a booth, has a great shot, has playmaking ability. What's incomplete about his game?

Hughes doesn't have anywhere near the same physical presence or board ability. Do you contest that? Hughes might have the edge on the rushes, but his lacking size, strength and boardwork certainly doesn't make him more complete.

Reactions: Loffer

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
He was amazing today, wow. I can't say I expected him to be this good at the Worlds.

Regarding the draft, as a Kakko fan/supporter (he comes from my Liiga team) the draft position is of no great interest. It would be cool to have a Finnish #1 pick, but there is just something very depressing and bland about the Devils as a team/organisation, so I can't say I want him to end up there. Rangers are really not on my radar but I have no problem with them either. So if he ends up there, seems better than the Devils, if not, he'll be a #1 pick.
(I'm not taking a stance whether he should be #1 as I've not seen enough of Hughes to have an opion)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Just, what on the bolded? Kakko's clearly the more complete package. The narratives get odder and odder. Do you want me to go into detail?

So what is Kakko weak at? He's good at every traditional attribute that NHL scouts love. What's his question mark? Skating, seriously? His skating's very good for his size and age, and it's the easiest attribute to improve over time. He's physically dominant vs men and will be even more dominant in a few years. He stickhandles in a booth, has a great shot, has playmaking ability. What's incomplete about his game?

Hughes doesn't have anywhere near the same physical presence or board ability. Do you contest that? Hughes might have the edge on the rushes, but his lacking size, strength and boardwork certainly doesn't make him more complete.

I'm not here to argue the points, I'm mainly pointing out what the general scouting consensus has been and why Hughes is and will likely still be viewed as the 1st overall pick. I'm not saying Kakko is markedly behind him or something, it is close.

Also, honestly, I'm trying to convince myself that the Devils will still take Hughes because I got my heart set on Kakko :laugh:

I think they still will and I think Hughes will be great, but Kakko will be great as well.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Hughes is a different player and will never be in a conversation for his physical presence and board work. He is also behind defensively and isnt the best at faceoffs. The thing I love about him is how he controls possession of the play and can carry it into the offensive zone without having to dump the puck. I hate this Hughes vs. Kakko crap as both are great players and Kakko certainly displayed that today.

Reactions: klingsor and d rake

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I thought that was only a limitation with the old software, not this new system.
Well I think there's no so called limit nowadays, but 1000 posts is the length thread are kept. No reason why but I'm fine with it.

*Inserting a Kakko is amazing comment*

*leaving*

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Man, I kind of feel bad he'll play for Devils or Rags. It will be almost McDavid level of waste, playing for a hopeless team. And while he's played great so far in the WHC, he's not going to lift either team single-handedly to the playoffs.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I don't care much what he does in the interviews as in the end that doesn't matter that much. It's more important to hear what he is on the locker room and how he understands what the coach is saying to him etc.

He goes to NA during the summer, he'll learn.

I wouldn't bet on him spending his whole summer there, rather just the draft related events and prospect camp. He'll likely train with Rautala again. I remember reading the Avs not being too happy with Rantanen not training in NA but he showed up in camp in best condition of the team and after that they let him do his thing. Rantanen also trains with Rautala, for those who don't know.
I'm sure the language thing works itself out, Pulju is an anomaly. For example Teuvo had poor English skills and now speaks very fluent English.

Reactions: Ippenator

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He's so damn good.

Apologies for the overwhelming majority of Devs' fans constantly posting useless nonsense in these threads. To give you all an idea of how bad it is, all I did was post a Kakko prospect thread on our board post draft lotto (since we had 2 Hughes ones) and it actually got LOCKED. Pretty sad.

Edit: Here's the link to my thread. I just got attacked and continuously misquoted for simply saying I thought Kakko and Hughes were CLOSE.

Prospect Info: - Kaapo Kakko
Wow that's pretty embarrassing. I'm sure they will reconsider that pretty soon..

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Reactions: FinPanda

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Poor kid....

Perhaps the Rags will agree to 4th overall + 16th overall + Kerfoot + Timmins for 2nd overall.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He's so damn good.

Apologies for the overwhelming majority of Devs' fans constantly posting useless nonsense in these threads. To give you all an idea of how bad it is, all I did was post a Kakko prospect thread on our board post draft lotto (since we had 2 Hughes ones) and it actually got LOCKED. Pretty sad.

Edit: Here's the link to my thread. I just got attacked and continuously misquoted for simply saying I thought Kakko and Hughes were CLOSE.

Prospect Info: - Kaapo Kakko
Yeah your board is borderline unbearable.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Wow that's pretty embarrassing. I'm sure they will reconsider that pretty soon..
We shall see. Pretty much stopped posting there after that BS (and I've been around on here for over a decade). A lot of stuff was deleted in that thread too or were posts in other threads where I was basically called an idiot. It was grand. Then I was "disciplined" for responding of course.

And, again, that was all simply for suggesting Kakko and Hughes were close. Never even said who I preferred because I was still watching tape.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Man, I kind of feel bad he'll play for Devils or Rags. It will be almost McDavid level of waste, playing for a hopeless team. And while he's played great so far in the WHC, he's not going to lift either team single-handedly to the playoffs.
Rangers hopeless? With that prospect pool and adding Hughes or Kakko their future most certainly is not hopeless but quite the opposite.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I wouldn't bet on him spending his whole summer there, rather just the draft related events and prospect camp. He'll likely train with Rautala again. I remember reading the Avs not being too happy with Rantanen not training in NA but he showed up in camp in best condition of the team and after that they let him do his thing. Rantanen also trains with Rautala, for those who don't know.
I'm sure the language thing works itself out, Pulju is an anomaly. For example Teuvo had poor English skills and now speaks very fluent English.
Yeah I just meant possibly the prospect camp and training camp, draft thing etc. I didn't mean that he would be there for the whole summer.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey

Rangers are rebuilding and have plenty of good young players coming. They'll be fine.

I'm not sure how the Devils system is but they'll be better with Hall back. Schneider is just really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad