RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Well if Benning is looking for more size this is definitely a pick in the Canucks range if he doesn't move up. I kind of want this kid. He has a couple of things to work on but if he is developed well he should be a great player.

Think he is capable of being a 1C? Don't know him too much.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well if Benning is looking for more size this is definitely a pick in the Canucks range if he doesn't move up. I kind of want this kid. He has a couple of things to work on but if he is developed well he should be a great player.

Think he is capable of being a 1C? Don't know him too much.

Rantanen doesn't play center (RW). Unfortunately a lot of finnish prospects have wrong position listed in their respective topics here. Laine f.ex isn't LW either.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Been saying this for a while now.. He should go to CHL/AHL/NHL whatever next year and get a far away from TPS as possible.

I think he should go to CHL too unless the team that drafts him feels he would be better developed in the AHL. Liiga really isn't that great for these young players especially if you are stuck in a crappy team like TPS. Yeah he would be playing with grown men but when the playing level of those men gets worse and worse every year it's not that great for young players who are trying to get better.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Really impressed by his showing so far. Much more impressed by his game then Crouse to be honest.

I think he'll shoot up the rankings by the draft.

Dec 3, 2012
I like this player, I like his skills, his skating and his vision. Some issues with the physicality. But there's room to improve.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Here's some parts of the message I posted in the Flames Draft Thread:

At the moment, Rantanen is TPS's biggest talent, and I have to admit that he has been even more impressive here than Sabres's Ristolainen before he left. Of course he's playing different position, but he has been pretty good player for us in this horrible season. His points doesn't tell the whole truth (30gp, 1+9=10). He has played in TPS's second and third line, with players who don't have that good hockey IQ. He hasn't had so many scoring chances because of that - in fact he has created most of the chances himself, and if he played with better players, he would have more assists too. He hasn't have so much PP-time neither, so I think that ten points in these circumstances is ok for him.

Now in the WJC, after 4 gp, he has scored 3 goals. He has been clearly the best forward of Finland's team so far (much better than Kapanen for example), and it has been great to see that he has started to shoot and go in front of the net more. In the Finnish Hockey League he hasn't been shooting that much, although he's got a pretty good wrister. I also believe that Rantanen's game fits better to the small rink, because he has found a way to use his size better.

Rantanen is playing well everytime in the national team, so in my opinion it tells that he can step up when the games matter even more. Best word to describe Rantanen is versatile. He knows his responsibility on the defensive game too, and he's also very good in forechecking. He's a team player, who should fit quite well to the Flames's playing style. I guess that he's going to rise in the rankings after this WJC-stint.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Here's some parts of the message I posted in the Flames Draft Thread:

At the moment, Rantanen is TPS's biggest talent, and I have to admit that he has been even more impressive here than Sabres's Ristolainen before he left. Of course he's playing different position, but he has been pretty good player for us in this horrible season. His points doesn't tell the whole truth (30gp, 1+9=10). He has played in TPS's second and third line, with players who don't have that good hockey IQ. He hasn't had so many scoring chances because of that - in fact he has created most of the chances himself, and if he played with better players, he would have more assists too. He hasn't have so much PP-time neither, so I think that ten points in these circumstances is ok for him.

Now in the WJC, after 4 gp, he has scored 3 goals. He has been clearly the best forward of Finland's team so far (much better than Kapanen for example), and it has been great to see that he has started to shoot and go in front of the net more. In the Finnish Hockey League he hasn't been shooting that much, although he's got a pretty good wrister. I also believe that Rantanen's game fits better to the small rink, because he has found a way to use his size better.

Rantanen is playing well everytime in the national team, so in my opinion it tells that he can step up when the games matter even more. Best word to describe Rantanen is versatile. He knows his responsibility on the defensive game too, and he's also very good in forechecking. He's a team player, who should fit quite well to the Flames's playing style. I guess that he's going to rise in the rankings after this WJC-stint.

Ristolainen had pretty good tournament in WJC at barely 17 year old. Ristolainen wasn't so good in FEL but you could see his upside. He was aggressive, had smooth+good skating ability, size, shot and incredible poise. Ristolainen had alot of tools but he had to figure out to put it together. Now that he has he is looking to be top pairing defenseman in the future with leadership qualities. Maybe even #1. I don't see Rantanen having similar bag of tools. He is more ready prospect and has potential to be very good 2nd line player or below average 1st line player. Blake Wheeler type of player if he reaches his potential.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Ristolainen had pretty good tournament in WJC at barely 17 year old. Ristolainen wasn't so good in FEL but you could see his upside. He was aggressive, had smooth+good skating ability, size, shot and incredible poise. Ristolainen had alot of tools but he had to figure out to put it together. Now that he has he is looking to be top pairing defenseman in the future with leadership qualities. Maybe even #1. I don't see Rantanen having similar bag of tools. He is more ready prospect and has potential to be very good 2nd line player or below average 1st line player. Blake Wheeler type of player if he reaches his potential.

Yeah I understand this and know that Ristolainen's tools and upside made him even a better prospect than Rantanen is. I just meant that Rantanen has been more visible in FEL than Ristolainen was, and I also admit that this is an unfair argument towards Ristolainen.

However, I think that Rantanen is far from a ready prospect, although he's more ready than Ristolainen was couple of years ago. He could be pretty big asset after improving his balance, poise and getting all the benefits from his big body.

I agree with your projection, Rantanen could be like a mix of Wheeler and Voracek, although I don't believe that he could have the same ability to score points as Voracek has right now. His biggest assets are his hockey IQ, protecting the puck and versatility.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Dammit. I was hoping he would fall to the Habs. But looks like he is at least top-15 bound.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Great tournament for Mikko. ISS headscout in Quebec said in podcast his going somewhere in top10.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
How is Lawson Crouse better than him? Isn't he projected to be in the top 10? Rantanen is going to be top 10.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
He was Finland's best player in the tournament. It's hard to see that WJC didn't raise his stocks. I think he is close to top 10 player in the draft if he was top 15-20 before it, because he showed he can play in a small rink and his finishing was better than early this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad