Friedman: Rutherford/Allvin done assessing Canucks - Everyone available except Pettersson, Hughes, Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I wanted Boeser in a big way . Offered up Severson (meets RHD need for Canucks ) and Zacha for Boeser and a cap dump. Not so much anymore. Probably just an off game and playing on second half of a back to back , however Boeser looked invisible in last night game vs. Devils

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
feel like for the most part front office sentiment and media scout opinions is generally similar but been made pretty clear schneider is coveted by front offices whereas most scouting services have him at least a tier below. not hard to figure out why that is, but makes it tougher for me at least if youre trying to make value comparisons since front offices dont publish prospect rankings or evaluations. would definitely put him above brannstrom, not sure on the other two. id think theres probably a case to be made esp depending on need in a trade for him vs the other two. i wouldnt argue with anyone taking either over schneider either though. ill give him this, hes been very impressive jumping into the nhl at his age. we used to be in the market for a bottom pair d.
oh for sure. I'd wager the reason why NHL execs value Schneider higher than general prospect rankings do is because he fits the 2 coveted boxes of size + physicality that teams overvalue and scouting list dont.

Personally I rank Schneider closely to Krebs for those reasons too as the Canucks have lacked size and physicality for a long time especially on the back end.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
As an outsider looking in no idea why the Nucks are going scorched earth unless the room has become toxic. They need to improve their D and add some depth up front, not insurmountable through FA, but trading mostly young players that fit your window is making more holes than you’ll ever fill.
They aren't going to go scorched earth, they have talked about a re tool. I see a situation in the offseason where 1 of Boeser/Garland are dealt, and 1 of Horvat/Miller are dealt. Moving 1 of each of those open up cap space, and will re build a pretty bare prospect pool. I could see a bunch of fringe guys shuffled around as well.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I wanted Boeser in a big way . Offered up Severson (meets RHD need for Canucks ) and Zacha for Boeser and a cap dump. Not so much anymore. Probably just an off game and playing on second half of a back to back , however Boeser looked invisible in last night game vs. Devils

Which is why Canucks fans aren't exactly married to him.

If Boeser isn't producing offense he's essentially invisible, and he's not a play-driver.

However, at the end of the day, he's still a guy that'll get you 25-30 goals and 50-60 points. He's on pace for 50 points now and it's a slow year for him and the team in general offensively (assuming a full year, health is sort of a question mark still).

He's a very flawed player but a legit top-6 offensive contributor, no doubt.

All that said, just one game. See: Severson vs Leafs fans.

Reactions: Nucks2477

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is a "we will likely move one now, another in the off-season and we will only go through with it if the package significantly helps us" situation. I don't see this being fire sale to dump assets.

Reactions: BCNate

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
As an outsider looking in no idea why the Nucks are going scorched earth unless the room has become toxic. They need to improve their D and add some depth up front, not insurmountable through FA, but trading mostly young players that fit your window is making more holes than you’ll ever fill.
Just because everyone is available doesn't mean that everyone is going to get traded. The team will make their players available, look at the offers and consequently move 1 maybe 2 players in an attempt to re-distribute assets, add players that fit the new managements team philosophy, hopefully reduce cap hit and potentially add draft or prospect capital. The Canucks aren't trading Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Garland, Myers, Schenn, Halak, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte, OEL, Podz, Hoglander all for picks and prospects.

Reactions: zcaptain

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's been playing center for most of the season, and is back to form going over PPG over his last ~20 games while controlling play.

Trading Pettersson is absolutely not the solution. If Pettersson isn't the Canucks 1C of the future, they're dead in the water no matter what they do. There is no guarantee any of the top picks in the 2022 draft will be better than Petey. I don't think Shane Wright's upside is any higher, nor could you say the same for Cooley or Savoie.
I'm not saying that a trade like that is 'the solution' but it would set back the clock on what Vancouver views as their core.

Having three years of an ELC posting what you'd estimate as equal production just gives their team more flexibility within that three year window to build a stronger foundation.

The way I view Vancouver currently, I don't really see a team that is ever going to be weak. They look like they'll remain on the bubble throughout whatever rebuild they have planned. I just don't see how a contender gets built through that method.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Rutherford is going to run that team into the ground. They have a nice core, no need to make so many earth shattering moves
So many? I understand that the sudden rush of ZERO moves so far has everyone's heads spinning, but making everyone available is not the same as trading everyone.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
for Dobson please!
for Dobson please!
What would you offer? Is C really a need with JPG, Barzal?

Wahlstrom, Raty, 2022 1st, Wilde, Bellows, Mayfield would all be really solid pieces to build a package around.

Or could we please have Dobson straight up?

100% reasonable to want and ask for Dobson but he’s blossomed so much and is becoming a legit top4 defenseman now and trending towards elite. His offensive game has taken off. I wouldn’t want to deal him.

If Vancouver is trading Horvat and those other guys I can’t see them being too interested in the isles vets as a return. We probably don’t make the best trade partners.

I’m just a big Horvat fan

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Didn’t Petterson sign a 3 year contract because he wanted to win? Do Nucks fans have confidence in JR to put together a good enough team by summer 2024 to convince him to sign long term?

I would assume you’d rather have young players as opposed to picks. Or maybe lateral to veteran help in positional needs?
Rutherford has stated publicly he would like to get younger, so lateral veteran moves probably don't have a lot of appeal unless its a vet under 26. I could see something like 25 year old Boeser for a 22 year old D and a 2nd round pick, but I don't think you will see a 25 year old Boeser for a 27 year old Severson for example.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not saying that a trade like that is 'the solution' but it would set back the clock on what Vancouver views as their core.

Having three years of an ELC posting what you'd estimate as equal production just gives their team more flexibility within that three year window to build a stronger foundation.

The way I view Vancouver currently, I don't really see a team that is ever going to be weak. They look like they'll remain on the bubble throughout whatever rebuild they have planned. I just don't see how a contender gets built through that method.

I definitely think you can build a contender around Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko. The problem for 8 years has been Benning backfilling the roster with horribly inefficient, mediocre players.

I don't think any player at the top of the 2022 draft has a higher upside than Pettersson, and even if they do, there's no guarantee they get there. Even less so while they're still on an ELC. In that situation, the club is set back with still no prospect of being better in the future. I think they can liquidate guys like Boeser, Horvat, and Garland for younger players/prospects with upside, with little drop-off in actual club performance. I think a smart GM and pro-scouting can find some useful players at cheap prices, a la Florida.

Remains to be seen if they can accomplish that.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
100% reasonable to want and ask for Dobson but he’s blossomed so much and is becoming a legit top4 defenseman now and trending towards elite. His offensive game has taken off. I wouldn’t want to deal him.

If Vancouver is trading Horvat and those other guys I can’t see them being too interested in the isles vets as a return. We probably don’t make the best trade partners.

Fair enough.

I just take comfort in the fact that Edmonton took Bouchard instead of Dobson.

OMG id hate to have Dobson in the division. He is going to be a monster.
Bouchard only worries me on the PP and is soft as butter.

Reactions: SI90

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

What type of package would you build around these :

Wahlstrom, Raty, 2022 1st, Wilde, Bellows, Mayfield

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There's no way both Miller and Horvat are traded right?
I could see Miller, Horvat and Boeser all getting traded. Not likely, but if the team isn't good enough now, and won't be good enough next year, then those players will be on new, higher contracts before the Canucks contend. The team can move them for futures without moving out the core three. It could be a good move to move them all now when the team can maximize returns.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Not sure any Canuck was visible last night.

I was leaning towards Ty Smith as a main piece for a Boeser to NJ trade, but maybe it was just an off night but Ty Smith definitely looked invisible last night.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Not sure any Canuck was visible last night.

I was leaning towards Ty Smith as a main piece for a Boeser to NJ trade, but maybe it was just an off night but Ty Smith definitely looked invisible last night.

no thanks to Ty Smith

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I could see Miller, Horvat and Boeser all getting traded. Not likely, but if the team isn't good enough now, and won't be good enough next year, then those players will be on new, higher contracts before the Canucks contend. The team can move them for futures without moving out the core three. It could be a good move to move them all now when the team can maximize returns.

There's absoloutely no way all 3 gets traded which would be a sign of a full rebuild.

They arent wasting the prime years of Demko , or the 5 years they have guaranteed left with Hughes.

Management has come out and said their timeline is 2 years which is when they expect to be cup contenders.

1 of those 3 gets traded. I'd be shocked if 2 of those 3 gets traded.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
So is Pettersson pretty much locked in as a winger now moving forward? Or is he still a work in progress?

Just a year ago this whole thing was being built around him. Now it seems like he's more of a complimentary player.

If I were them, I would be low-key floating that guy at the draft trying to get in a position to nab one of the top three picks this year. Because instead he's now on a pretty unfriendly bridge that's going to balloon into a $9m AAV payment three years from now when he hits 26.

You couldn't be more wrong about this, I honestly don't know where you got this from. No chance we trade him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How available would one of your 1sts be? Sounded a while back like Texier may be available? and or Bean?
Depending on your targets, I think there are some pieces to get things done.
I think you may have overlooked that last sentence. Our biggest need by far is defensive RD. Sound familiar? ;)

Those two guys being "available" is more in the "if you really want to pay stupid prices, we won't stop you" sense. They're not being shopped. The guys who are being shopped are the names everybody's heard already - Korpisalo, Domi, and so on.

As for targets, I would assume the most likely one would be Garland; we're overfull on wingers, but he's attractive enough to override that consideration. Horvat's the obvious other one, but with how Jenner's playing it's not quite as dire as we might have assumed a couple months ago. Definitely not on the list is Boeser - not with his contract situation (we're going to be busy enough with Laine). Essentially, to the extent that Kekalainen makes any acquisitions, they're going to be with an eye to the future - so either pure futures, or roster players that fit the rebuild timeline.

The "it is not productive to ask" category would include the usual suspects - Werenski, Laine, Bjorkstrand, Sillinger, KJ, Elvis, and so on - but also includes Peeke, Boqvist, and Cuelemans. Not so much because those three guys are such high value as it is that they represent literally the entirety of our organization's right-handed shots with any real hope of an NHL career, past, present, or future. There's literally nobody else.

So, frankly, the only thing I see happening is if we somehow happen to be the high bidder for Garland. I'd be surprised if that was the case, tho; we can't possibly be the only folks who recognize his quality.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'd take a run at Horvat with a lateral move like Dvorak and Calgary 1st.

Is that really all you'd pay for for Horvat? a late first and a top 9 C with a career high of 38 pts?

Do you really think there would be no other NHL team that can beat that offer?

Reactions: 53or8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad