Friedman: Rutherford/Allvin done assessing Canucks - Everyone available except Pettersson, Hughes, Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I have a hard time believing this if you think Horvat is that impactful and Hughes doesn't control the flow of the game. Hughes to Barrie is not a good comparison. Sorry but these are lazy observations.
Hughes and Barrie are very comparable. Except Barrie has led the league in D scoring, Hughes hasn't. Neither player can defend.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
Makes sense. Those three are foundational star-level talents. Petey and Hughes are like, HOF-level talents if their careers go as they should. I'd probably wanna keep Horvat, too. I know Kadri's having this insane season, but as Kadri's biggest fan besides his mom, Horvat's role is very similar, and I'm so glad we had Naz in Toronto through the rebuild, and I wish we still had him. Miller has basically spent his entire career outperforming what I thought he could be, step after step after step. But he's old enough/close enough to free agency, you could get a fortune for him, so it makes sense to move him. I've always had reservations about Rutherford, much as I just sorta like the dude, but it sounds like he's got a good handle on this.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Hughes and Barrie are very comparable. Except Barrie has led the league in D scoring, Hughes hasn't. Neither player can defend.
Led for how long? A week? Hughes has done that. Put Hughes with McDavid and Drai and he is top10 in league scoring, never mind defensemen. Hughes would break all kinds of records with those 2.

Edit:Hughes is actually good defensively, just needs Tanev(or someone at that level) so he can focus more on offense. Schenn has been ok, but the guy is slow and Hughes often covers for that lack of speed.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
I appreciate the effort but it's a no.

If we were going to move Boeser a 1st has to be coming back.

Zacha seems like a frustrating player who hasn't figured it out and doesn't necessarily fill a needed role.

Cerebral, non-physical, offensive LD are like the only defensive pieces we have moving forward so Smith isn't a fit.

If a player of his quality was a more stout RD and there was a 1st involved I would seriously consider the deal, but I don't think this fits at all.
Just for the record I based it on the premise that Vancouver is highly interested in Ty Smith and was calling about Pavel Zacha

and NJs first this year is bound for top-7 so itd have to be 2023, and even then thats a bit rich for my tastes

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The more I hear, the more I think little happens for Van this deadline. Maybe Motte/Schenn type deals or other bottom 6 transactions. I think they want to keep Miller Horvat Petterson down the middle and change the mix on the wing… but I think that happens this summer.
Unlikely, Rutherford and Allvin are gunna be aggresive

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He just does a lot of things that help you win hockey games. Hughes does not, but somehow is "untouchable." I'll take the guy who helps me win games.
Yup watch lots. I live in the West. I don't think Hughes carries the team at all. Demko, Miller and Horvat are your most impactful players. EP is really good when he's on, but very inconsistent. I like Hughes to Barrie. Similar type of players.

Holy **** tell me you’re clueless without telling me you’re clueless :help:

Why do people lie on a message board? It’s clear as day you don’t watch Canucks games. Like what you said can’t even be an opinion it’s flat out wrong. Hughes, Miller and Demko flat out have been carrying the team. Horvat has been awful this year compared to his usual self. Not even gunna reply to your stupid stupid comment of comparing Hughes to Barrie. Easily one of the worst takes I’ve seen in the ten years I’ve been on these boards. Like I said just stop. Brutal brutal take.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
He just does a lot of things that help you win hockey games. Hughes does not, but somehow is "untouchable." I'll take the guy who helps me win games.
If you don't actually know what you are talking about sometimes its best to say nothing at all. If you do speak to something you clearly don't know, you risk looking foolish. May I present the bolded as an example.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Yup watch lots. I live in the West. I don't think Hughes carries the team at all. Demko, Miller and Horvat are your most impactful players. EP is really good when he's on, but very inconsistent. I like Hughes to Barrie. Similar type of players.

16 points in 17 playoff games AS A ROOKIE, already on pace to break every scoring record we have for Dmen, we have literally NEVER had a Dman like him before, he absolutely controls the play almost every time he is on the ice, I can't believe for a second that you've watched the guy play before if you believe this, I have never seen anyone on HF be so damn clueless before, WOW.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
that’s very arrogant, Hughes can defend very well, if you’re saying this it’s clear you’re not watching the Canucks.
Everyone has watched the Canucks. Even his coaches think he cant defend. It's why they start him in the offensive end so much. He's one of the most heavily skewed players in the league.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It’s sad that you spend your days trolling online with comments like this. What does that say about you? I think life coaches are a joke but you might need one.
I'm genuinely not trolling. The guy is a 4th forward. He plays very porous defense. His coaches shelter him as heavily as is possible among NHL defensemen. He's more sheltered than guys like Barrie and Gustafsson.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I'm genuinely not trolling. The guy is a 4th forward. He plays very porous defense. His coaches shelter him as heavily as is possible among NHL defensemen. He's more sheltered than guys like Barrie and Gustafsson.

No he isn't bud, it's obvious you have no idea what your talking about, especially as it pertains to this year. Averaging 25 mins a game, but he's sheltered....ok then

By the way Bruce Budreau has already said that Hughes is as good as any Dman he has ever coached, hmmmmm.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No he isn't bud, it's obvious you have no idea what your talking about, especially as it pertains to this year. Averaging 25 mins a game, but he's sheltered....ok then

By the way Bruce Budreau has already said that Hughes is as good as any Dman he has ever coached, hmmmmm.
Almost 70% of his starts are in the offensive zone. He's used as a 4th forward, not a defenseman.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Almost 70% of his starts are in the offensive zone. He's used as a 4th forward, not a defenseman.

Your numbers are wrong and it's sad that you didn't even bother to look it up, just confirms your either trolling or completely clueless.

His numbers are similar to Fox, Hedman and Makar, guess they can't defend either?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Care to show where you got 70% because stats show that your stat is imaginary

Cake makar: 62.54%
Quinn hughes: 56.93%
Victor hedman: 54.26%
Adam fox: 51.52%
Josh Morrisey: 51.36%

So Cale makar from the stats is the one that’s heavily sheltered and Quinn hughes is just as sheltered as Norris winning premier defenders in hedman and fox

You must believe morrisey on your beloved jets is heavily sheltered as he only starts 5% less of his shifts in the offensive zone compared to hughes

I’d imagine you’ll just simply ignore and pretend this post doesn’t exist since it points out your obvious trolling

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016

Tell me you don't watch the Canucks without actually telling me you don't watch the Canucks. Brutal take. It might have been somewhat accurate last season, but Hughes' defensive game has been a revelation this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad