Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Took a quick look and Columbus is also one of the few teams that could offer McGro guaranteed PP time

Sure - but I doubt they would.
I think they would love to have him and they have the assets to get him. But I don't think they would want to start a relationship with him throwing his weight around like that. Who knows what he would demand next? And how would it affect the room?

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sure - but I doubt they would.
I think they would love to have him and they have the assets to get him. But I don't think they would want to start a relationship with him throwing his weight around like that. Who knows what he would demand next? And how would it affect the room?
Yeah it's gonna be kind of awkward for him now wherever he goes, everyone knows about this saga so there's gonna be a big elephant in the locker room if he makes a team out of camp.

Can't imagine it would sit well with other prospects on the cusp who end up being the last cuts too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just remembering that the Jets and national media have missed quite badly on some major moves in the past couple of years. There was all sorts of speculation that the Jets were on the verge of a PLD trade to Montreal, and then the LAK trade came out of nowhere. At this point last year, almost all of the media (including "insiders") were saying that Scheifele and Hellebuyck were as good as gone (some saying Hellebuyck would never sign another contract with the Jets).

None of the local media had any inkling of the Jets' intentions or chances of re-signing Colin Miller.

My point is that when it comes to the Jets and NHL rumours I think there is a ton of smoke out there, and it's prudent to wait and see without jumping to conclusions and getting emotionally worked up about the rumours.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Just remembering that the Jets and national media have missed quite badly on some major moves in the past couple of years. There was all sorts of speculation that the Jets were on the verge of a PLD trade to Montreal, and then the LAK trade came out of nowhere. At this point last year, almost all of the media (including "insiders") were saying that Scheifele and Hellebuyck were as good as gone (some saying Hellebuyck would never sign another contract with the Jets).

None of the local media had any inkling of the Jets' intentions or chances of re-signing Colin Miller.

My point is that when it comes to the Jets and NHL rumours I think there is a ton of smoke out there, and it's prudent to wait and see without jumping to conclusions and getting emotionally worked up about the rumours.
Totally agree. None of us or the media know what is going on. Even on a basement team, of he sucks, he's not playing. On a top 10 team, who's he taking out of the lineup? Because any team in the top of the league is pretty deep and contract rich.
I know the Jets would gladly play him if he performs, at any spot. If he out plays Nino or Vilardi, that's his spot to take. Nobody would guarantee that.
Trouba played out of the gate because he had an unreal camp and he was a good fit in our line up. Same with the others, Copp, Ehlers etc. Connor needed a little seasoning so did Morrissey.
There could be more to the story

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I thought this too before the draft

By all accounts, Chevy has worked hard to deal him and had a few trades in place that fell through for whatever reason (including teams at the draft who had their picks available until a player they liked fell to them)

So why no trade now? We can only speculate... but if were only about an NHL roster spot, you'd think that a team with room in their line up for him would have aquired him by now.

So either chevy hasn't gotten an offer he likes, there are no teams willing to promise that he'll forego the AHL, OR there is something to the rumours flying about his camp having even more outlandish demands than just an NHL roster spot

We don't know for sure, though, so you could be 100% right
Chevy made zero effort to trade him. Those were rumors

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Reactions: Nevins

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Common sense to me says this is an unconfirmed rumor. ( which is what rumor is). . I'm not going go to proclaim it's for sure false
I mean when a random blog full of click bait titles says something I guess it could be true? this is where common sense would come in handy... literally zero sources to back up the claim that he demanded pp time and substantial minutes at all.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I mean when a random blog full of click bait titles says something I guess it could be true? this is where common sense would come in handy... literally zero sources to back up the claim that he demanded pp time and substantial minutes at all.

If this rumor was posted without any indication that Rutger has made any demands then I agree with you. But it's built on other rumors from McIntyre and Ates that reported his demands caused trades to collapse. Could it be that this blog just padded those reports with erroneous additional details? Sure. But I think it's a least possible considering what we have heard so far. At the very least I think it's OK to say to take these reports with grains of salt. But I'm not going to say it's 100 percent inaccurate either.

• Haha
Reactions: gojetsgo

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I'll bet that they all think they're master baiters.

I'll show myself out.
cosmo_spacely_s_anger_issues_by_zacharynoah92_dc1sq9z-pre.jpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah this is starting to get a bit out of hand. Honestly I hope Chwvy can find a trade that works soon and we can stop all this speculation. I think it's as simple as he doesn't want to be here.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah this is starting to get a bit out of hand. Honestly I hope Chwvy can find a trade that works soon and we can stop all this speculation. I think it's as simple as he doesn't want to be here.
I don't mind this dragging on for a bit, something interesting to follow for the offseason.

Much more entertaining than only having the Stanley = Bad and Ehlers debates rehashed all summer :laugh:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
why can't it be as simple as he wants to play in the nhl, the reason that has been reported by multiple people, I don't why it has to be different then that...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
why can't it be as simple as he wants to play in the nhl, the reason that has been reported by multiple people, I don't why it has to be different then that...

Sure that's the stated reason, but it seems flimsy to me because as of now there is a top 6 spot open on the team and he'd likely be the front runner to win it. How much more of an opportunity to play in the NHL should he realistically expect? Even the Buffalo Sabres and Columbus Blue Jackets aren't gifting spots to prospects without them earning them. Hence Jiricek and Johnson spending lots of time in the AHL last year due to not performing well enough and Savoie being traded recently due to being blocked.

It just seems strange to me that they had such a huge falling out over him not being gifted a starting spot on a 4th place team that had loaded up at the deadline.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not necessarily disagreeing. But to say it's categorically a false rumor is speculation. The rumor hasn't been confirmed or denied

Of course. Is anyone claiming to know categorically?

I'm stating my opinion of the rumour.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Sure that's the stated reason, but it seems flimsy to me because as of now there is a top 6 spot open on the team and he'd likely be the front runner to win it. How much more of an opportunity to play in the NHL should he realistically expect? Even the Buffalo Sabres and Columbus Blue Jackets aren't gifting spots to prospects without them earning them. Hence Jiricek and Johnson spending lots of time in the AHL last year due to not performing well enough and Savoie being traded recently due to being blocked.

It just seems strange to me that they had such a huge falling out over him not being gifted a starting spot on a 4th place team that had loaded up at the deadline.
he wants a guaranteed spot in the nhl, he doesn't want to be the front runner and have to win it, he wants to have it locked in... It's really not that hard to understand, don't know why we need all these theories over what people actually think it is, if it was just about an opportunity or winnipeg then other teams wouldn't have the same issues with his camp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
he wants a guaranteed spot in the nhl, he doesn't want to be the front runner and have to win it, he wants to have it locked in... It's really not that hard to understand, don't know why we need all these theories over what people actually think it is, if it was just about an opportunity or winnipeg then other teams wouldn't have the same issues with his camp

Well if he's as set on that as you say he may find himself back in College as few teams give guaranteed spots out.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad