Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really think it's his handlers who are f***ing this up (his agent and likely dad). I just can't see a 180 degree attitude shift from last dev camp to this season. He'd have to be an absolutely fantastic actor to pull of the true excitement and connection he displayed last year.

I'd be pissed if I was Rutger. Instead of potentially getting some bonuses and starting his pro career off (in the AHL), in the quest to somehow be gifted an NHL spot he's now pushing back his opportunity to make the big league by at least a year.

Guess the reason we haven't pulled the trigger is his camp is pulling the same shit with other teams, and they're like 'nuh uh, we ain't letting a totally unproven player dictate plaing terms'.

A spectacularly bad play by his management team. I won't be saying anything bad about the player because I don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I really think it's his handlers who are f***ing this up (his agent and likely dad). I just can't see a 180 degree attitude shift from last dev camp to this season. He'd have to be an absolutely fantastic actor to pull of the true excitement and connection he displayed last year.

I'd be pissed if I was Rutger. Instead of potentially getting some bonuses and starting his pro career off (in the AHL), in the quest to somehow be gifted an NHL spot he's now pushing back his opportunity to make the big league by at least a year.

Guess the reason we haven't pulled the trigger is his camp is pulling the same shit with other teams, and they're like 'nuh uh, we ain't letting a totally unproven player dictate plaing terms'.

A spectacularly bad play by his management team. I won't be saying anything bad about the player because I don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

If they keep this up, he may not end up signing until he’s 22. That could greatly impact his development. It’s kind of sad

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
McG may be sharing Cutter Gauthier's playbook but he is no Cutter Gauthier. Gauthier was a 5th overall pick and a far superior prospect with more than twice the number of goals and a much better D+1 year than McG.

McG is a solid mid-1st rounder with a decent chance at a productive NHL career. It is unlikely that he is a superstar in waiting. And the truth is that prospects of McG's calibre have to earn their way into an NHL lineup, often via the AHL.

It's seems inconsistent that a guy so eager to make the NHL will have the patience to play two more years in college to qualify for free agency. Either the Jets will find some way for him to save face and report to camp or he'll be traded.

I agree the problem is it appears team McGroarty might be conducting business like their value is higher.

What happens when the music stops and all your buddies are sitting in an NHL chair and you’re looking around and there’s no chairs left Rutger?

Honestly for all I know his plan might happily take that into account. It’s either NHL or Michigan and by the next TD maybe someone bites.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Does anyone know if Michigan is going to be a competitive contender for the championship this coming season?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah it does seem like the kid was always very genuine in his limited time here.

He is obviously trusting his camp to put his interests first. But his camp is also doing what he is instructing them to do.

As far as he is concerned he wants to be NCAA or NHL, obviously NHL first and foremost. In that sense the playing time "demand" makes sense.

Now that things have escalated to this point, it's gotten less understandable. Them trying to pin things on the Jets handling of youth and development obviously was an attempt to fracture the relationship and expedite a trade.

It's right out of an agent playbook 101. It worked for PLD in Columbus for example. Coach was a hot head and said get the f rid of this guy and it was done quickly.

Chevy does not operate that way. And now that Rutger wanting to be NCAA or NHL is getting framed as entitled. And how could the Jets not, him remaining unsigned is too big a risk for any team to take on.

No one is reaching the asking price, because the asking price implies they are getting a player like any other. When in reality he is a future RFA pissing match risk even if he is signed and in the NHL in Oct on his ELC.

Interested to see how this plays out. It seems like the Jets best play is to call his bluff on playing two years in college until someone makes an outstanding offer

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah it does seem like the kid was always very genuine in his limited time here.

He is obviously trusting his camp to put his interests first. But his camp is also doing what he is instructing them to do.

As far as he is concerned he wants to be NCAA or NHL, obviously NHL first and foremost. In that sense the playing time "demand" makes sense.

Now that things have escalated to this point, it's gotten less understandable. Them trying to pin things on the Jets handling of youth and development obviously was an attempt to fracture the relationship and expedite a trade.

It's right out of an agent playbook 101. It worked for PLD in Columbus for example. Coach was a hot head and said get the f rid of this guy and it was done quickly.

Chevy does not operate that way. And now that Rutger wanting to be NCAA or NHL is getting framed as entitled. And how could the Jets not, him remaining unsigned is too big a risk for any team to take on.

No one is reaching the asking price, because the asking price implies they are getting a player like any other. When in reality he is a future RFA pissing match risk even if he is signed and in the NHL in Oct on his ELC.

Interested to see how this plays out. It seems like the Jets best play is to call his bluff on playing two years in college until someone makes an outstanding offer
Have we seen anything that definitively states that Rutger himself is saying this?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Seems Rutger is finding out he isn't the caliber of prospect that can make these demands. Teams are seemingly put off by them.

Could be a classic big fish in a small pond situation. The best hockey player by far in a non-hockey state might think he's elite, but doesn't realize the actual gap between him and "international elite."

Some agents also get greedy and want to push the envelope... They should know better.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Have we seen anything that definitively states that Rutger himself is saying this?
I certainly haven't. Everything seems almost entirely speculative.

The media talking heads seem to be flinging to see if anything sticks regarding trades.

Chevy is being Chevy for the most part, though if you accept what he said about leadership and players coming to summer camp that's about as much shade as Chevy has ever thrown. So he does seem angry with the situation.

I do agree with you that this seems remarkably uncharacteristic for the kid himself who we were all fawning over after last summer. Like many others have said, this seems more "agent-like" than Rutger actually saying stuff. From that perspective I do feel for the kid. If indeed he is driving it, well, that sympathy disappears from me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Could be a classic big fish in a small pond situation. The best hockey player by far in a non-hockey state might think he's elite, but doesn't realize the actual gap between him and "international elite."

Some agents also get greedy and want to push the envelope... They should know better.

Agreed. He's a good prospect but he's not what I'd call an elite one. If we look at our other prospects including someone with much higher pedigree in Perfetti his demands don't really line up. Even Cole had to do over a year in the AHL and suffer through getting scratched on a deep team last year, and Rutger seems to think he can just waltz on in and make demands. Our room would never stand for it.

I'm not even sure I'd want him to come crawling back at this point. I don't think I'd want that entitlement in our room.

This very well could be hos camp driving things, but in the end he has to sign off on the plan.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. He's a good prospect but he's not what I'd call an elite one. If we look at our other prospects including someone with much higher pedigree in Perfetti his demands don't really line up. Even Cole had to do over a year in the AHL and suffer through getting scratched on a deep team last year, and Rutger seems to think he can just waltz on in and make demands. Our room would never stand for it.

I'm not even sure I'd want him to come crawling back at this point. I don't think I'd want that entitlement in our room.

This very well could be hos camp driving things, but in the end he has to sign off on the plan.

There seems to be some revisionism going on with Rutger. Before this situation developed people here were much higher on him as a prospect than they are now.

My expectations for him were very high. Just based on gut feeling really, but I was expecting him to exceed most people's expectations.

Since a part of that came from his apparent energy, excitement and love of the game my expectations have dropped a bit, but not as much as many here seem to be indicating. I still expect his career to exceed Cole's for instance.

His camp includes his family as well as an agent he has been told to trust. I would have no problem accepting him if he changes course. It could all be chalked up to negotiation.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Until he actually signs a contract, I assume there is no way for us to know who exactly his advisor/agent is?

Do we just assume its Chevy's BFF Kurt Overhardt??

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There seems to be some revisionism going on with Rutger. Before this situation developed people here were much higher on him as a prospect than they are now.

My expectations for him were very high. Just based on gut feeling really, but I was expecting him to exceed most people's expectations.

Since a part of that came from his apparent energy, excitement and love of the game my expectations have dropped a bit, but not as much as many here seem to be indicating. I still expect his career to exceed Cole's for instance.

His camp includes his family as well as an agent he has been told to trust. I would have no problem accepting him if he changes course. It could all be chalked up to negotiation.

Honestly, I've never been super high on him. I see a good middle 6 player with intangibles. A very useful one and not one I'd put ahead of Cole. But to each their own.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm guessing that we'll see a McGroarty trade or signing within the next week or two, or everything will be deferred to the trade deadline when trade discussions will pick up again. In that case, I hope he has a great season in Michigan.

Reactions: surixon and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Personally, I had McGroarty as our #1 prospect last off season (I didn’t have Perfetti as a prospect any more at that time). Since then both Lambert and Salomonsson had what I would consider really strong draft +2 seasons. If this incident didn’t happen I am not quite sure how I would have voted this off season but those would be my top 3.

I think 2nd line is where I probably project McG or Lambert depending on how things progress. Solomonsson I am less sure, he might have a higher ceiling but D men are tough for me to project unless I really love them. I had Perfetti above McG and Lambert as a prospect at their age.

That was (is) my take and who knows how it turns out. I am hoping our guys exceed my expectations.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
How does playing for a Canadian team vs low tax USA team impact career earnings? Must equate to a few million dollaros in taxes.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
How does playing for a Canadian team vs low tax USA team impact career earnings? Must equate to a few million dollaros in taxes.
How many of those teams are there?

Someone (I think on the main boards?) did a deep dive on this with contracts of varying amounts in each city. The savings weren't as great as I thought they'd be. For one, only a player's home games are taxed where they play. Road games are taxed according to where they're played. Signing bonuses get around that though

All Canadian markets were near the bottom in net pay, but the Cali and Metro area teams weren't far behind

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
How many of those teams are there?

Someone (I think on the main boards?) did a deep dive on this with contracts of varying amounts in each city. The savings weren't as great as I thought they'd be. For one, only a player's home games are taxed where they play. Road games are taxed according to where they're played. Signing bonuses get around that though

All Canadian markets were near the bottom in net pay, but the Cali and Metro area teams weren't far behind
I recall this as well. It's not nearly as straightforward as most would think. There are obviously markets where the advantage is larger but some (some of them surprising) as you point out where it is rather negligible.

I'd think the bigger advantage would be for those low tax states where players are being paid more by bonuses or where the contract isn't a standard contract. The Jets seldom do signing bonuses and I expect a fair bit of that has to do with the fact that it would be taxed at the marginal rate for Manitoba/Canada. For the Jets players, having half your games taxed in other markets is probably beneficial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad