Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agree to disagree. Connor looked absolutely lost before he was sent down and even if I grant you that, that is one player in Jets 2.0 that maybe could have stayed with the big club.

He was lost then found his way in 4 AHL games?

It's pretty hard to disprove your point. The player could be an AHL Allstar and since they were never given a shot that year, the answer is they "weren't ready".

The Jets don't call up successful AHLers to give them shots during a season, that's probably part of Rutgers issue with them. It doesn't matter how well he plays if he's in the AHL, it's "see you at training camp" or hope for a significant injury.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So did Rutger or his agent actually say something, or is it just a media guy starting a rumour?

It's the media. But it's very similar to what we heard with regards to Gauthier right before he was dealt. This wouldn't be out if his agent didn't want it to be out. He's trying to force a move for his client and he won't say anything until after it's done to protect the reputation of Rutger.

Seems top college players are now demanding NHL time or taking their ball to another team. As annoyed as I am with the Jets ability to integrate their youth lately I'm not a fan of ultimatums. But at the end of the day it's about maximizing cash for these guys and most don't care where it is they start.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
So did Rutger or his agent actually say something, or is it just a media guy starting a rumour?

The thing for me was when Murat published that he’s “likely” to be traded. Pretty big sign there’s something irreparably damaged and it’s a matter of time

When it was just Elliot reporting I didn’t give much stock

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Didn't like the guy's name. Sounds kinda like a B movie action star. Move him. The guy has value so package him with someone and get a decent player for next year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No, I feel like the rosters since day one have been what everyone has expected. I hate the thought of losing Rutger McGroarty. What if he has an incredible season in Michigan? Will the WInnipeg Jets THEN guarantee him a top 6 roster spot? If the Jets idea for players is to have them play in the AHL, then they need to STOP drafting NCAA players who have the advantage of becoming free agents once their college career has concluded. This same thing happened with Nathan Smith who lucky for us has not lived up to expectations.

Pretty much.

Not the end of the world... but it's not good when you take a guy that high who turns out this well (so far) and you don't plan to make room for him in his draft +3.

The dude has proven just about everything he can outside the NHL. Hopefully Chevy can find a good fit for him with a team that cam slot him in day one no problem.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pretty much.

Not the end of the world... but it's not good when you take a guy that high who turns out this well (so far) and you don't plan to make room for him in his draft +3.

The dude has proven just about everything he can outside the NHL. Hopefully Chevy can find a good fit for him with a team that cam slot him in day one no problem.

While easy to say, not as easy to do. We have three top 6 LW already on the team in KC, Cole, and Nino. Also add in Ehlers who is still here atm. Hard to fit him in on the left. Now maybe they could move Cole to center or RW to make room for him but that would be dependent on them striking out on retaining Monohan and we have no idea what Ehlers returns.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
While easy to say, not as easy to do. We have three top 6 LW already on the team in KC, Cole, and Nino. Also add in Ehlers who is still here atm. Hard to fit him in on the left. Now maybe they could move Cole to center or RW to make room for him but that would be dependent on them striking out on retaining Monohan and we have no idea what Ehlers returns.
Yeah I had a post yesterday about that. How we structure our lines basically means prospects have to be top six NHL calibre or they end up in a tricky spot.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
To SJS: McGroarty, 5th
To WPG: (Pit) 1st round, Furlong, 3rd
You could erase three of those assets and the scale wouldn't budge. Or if obfuscation is the game you want to play then just keep adding 6th and 7th rounders to each side. Could be fun.

I'd be happy to get 14 OA for Rutger. I think this is a good draft. I think we can get a player that plays a more helpful position. When we drafted Rutger we didn't know that we would also draft Barlow.

It's a fair trade. Not sure if the Sharks have any interest.

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
You could erase three of those assets and the scale wouldn't budge. Or if obfuscation is the game you want to play then just keep adding 6th and 7th rounders to each side. Could be fun.

I'd be happy to get 14 OA for Rutger. I think this is a good draft. I think we can get a player that plays a more helpful position. When we drafted Rutger we didn't know that we would also draft Barlow.

I thought it might not be a bad trade. Sharks can easily get him in the lineup, if that's the main reason he doesn't want to sign here. Pit's (14 OA) for McGroarty, when he was also selected at 14 OA. Then our 5th for Furlong, he's a LD and also was a 5th rounder. I just want that 3rd round pick also.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

14OA is not good value. Rutger was selected in the same part of his draft but has developed very well since then. 14OA could go the other way. Rutger is pro ready and less risky than 14OA. Probably more upside too and better chance of reaching it, based on how he's pregressed.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He was lost then found his way in 4 AHL games?

It's pretty hard to disprove your point. The player could be an AHL Allstar and since they were never given a shot that year, the answer is they "weren't ready".

The Jets don't call up successful AHLers to give them shots during a season, that's probably part of Rutgers issue with them. It doesn't matter how well he plays if he's in the AHL, it's "see you at training camp" or hope for a significant injury.
19 yr old Perfetti in 2021-22 might be the exception, and it resulted in injury, so you have to be careful when promoting guys too young...I think Mc Groarty could handle the NHL grind, but it's a longer season than college, so maybe the A is in part for learning systems, and one part learning the grind....

Reactions: Buffdog

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good question. To be honest no but I’m not sure that’s an indicator all roster spots are pencilled in.

Turn about is fair play: has there ever been a player that DIDN’T make the Jets and whose play in the AHL clearly indicated that was the wrong decision?

Scheielfe, Ehlers, Trouba, and Laine all got to skip the AHL all at the same age or younger and all three were miles away from finished products.

Connor went to the AHL but that was because he left college after his draft +1. He entered the NHL in his draft +2 minus a cup of coffee to ease his coaches nerves.

McGroarty heading to the NHL in his draft +3 season is pretty normal for our top guys and I think he could be a top guy.

Either way that was when our org had a direction I guess.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Scheielfe, Ehlers, Trouba, and Laine all got to skip the AHL all at the same age or younger and all three were miles away from finished products.

Connor went to the AHL but that was because he left college after his draft +1. He entered the NHL in his draft +2 minus a cup of coffee to ease his coaches nerves.

McGroarty heading to the NHL in his draft +3 season is pretty normal for our top guys and I think he could be a top guy.

And who were the players comparable to Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Nino that they took a spot from? It’s a lot easier to make a bad lineup than it is to make one that is top five.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I can’t shake how frustrating this is. Lauded as a future NHL captain. Drafted by and large for his character. Either they missed on the character side or the Jets bungled this bad.

For all the good Chevy does, we needs to hand off the draft and develop. Lots of whiffs, misses & mismanagement in the first round since Connor.

Roslo, Laine VESA, Stanley, Heinola, Lucius, McGroarty… and it’s unknown about the impact with 91 and how his mismanagement will impact the relationship moving forward.

How hard is it to say to Lambert/McGroarty: You have a spot and have 30 games and we will re-adjust and pivot from there. Especially given 27 moving on and the health issues with Vilardi..

Again, SUPER frustrating.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I can’t shake how frustrating this is. Lauded as a future NHL captain. Drafted by and large for his character. Either they missed on the character side or the Jets bungled this bad.

For all the good Chevy does, we needs to hand off the draft and develop. Lots of whiffs, misses & mismanagement in the first round since Connor.

Roslo, Laine VESA, Stanley, Heinola, Lucius, McGroarty… and it’s unknown about the impact with 91 and how his mismanagement will impact the relationship moving forward.

How hard is it to say to Lambert/McGroarty: You have a spot and have 30 games and we will re-adjust and pivot from there. Especially given 27 moving on and the health issues with Vilardi..

Again, SUPER frustrating.

Would you rather go back to the teams that played tons of young players and finished 20th overall?

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The org had a direction then and it was a bad team building towards the playoffs with young players. The direction now is try to make the playoffs every year, which usually makes it harder for players to break into the lineup. You may disagree with that direction, but there is one.

Also McGroarty hasn't played more than 39 games in a season. For most college players there's an adjustment to the pro schedule required.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Drysdale is insanely talented.......only thing that might hold him back is the injuries.

I don't dispute the talent. But he hasn't produced or progressed. He still might.
But at the time of the trade it was 50 cents on the dollar, or maybe 75. Not full value.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And who were the players comparable to Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Nino that they took a spot from? It’s a lot easier to make a bad lineup than it is to make one that is top five.

That's the issue, we are actually quite solid on the left side at the NHL level. He's not beating any of the incumbents out of a spot. Maybe he can play on right, but that is a tall ask for a rookie.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
That's the issue, we are actually quite solid on the left side at the NHL level. He's not beating any of the incumbents out of a spot. Maybe he can play on right, but that is a tall ask for a rookie.

Solid on the left side at the NHL level and in our prospect pool.

I think the best case scenario still would be to trade Rutger for an impact RHD. That would really balance out our current and future needs.

On the other hand, I don’t hate the idea of caving to Rutger a little bit, trading Ehlers for help on the backend and restructuring the top 9 a little bit. How about this:

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Mcgroarty-Perfetti-Nino
Barron-Lowry-Appleton

If Mcgroarty or Perfetti struggle, you still have Namestnikov and Iafallo to fill in, if needed. It’s a decent gamble in my books.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Solid on the left side at the NHL level and in our prospect pool.

I think the best case scenario still would be to trade Rutger for an impact RHD. That would really balance out our current and future needs.

On the other hand, I don’t hate the idea of caving to Rutger a little bit, trading Ehlers for help on the backend and restructuring the top 9 a little bit. How about this:

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Mcgroarty-Perfetti-Nino
Barron-Lowry-Appleton

If Mcgroarty or Perfetti struggle, you still have Namestnikov and Iafallo to fill in, if needed. It’s a decent gamble in my books.

Yeah, I wouldn't hate that. It does put a lot of pressure on Cole as a first year center with a rookie player. Honestly I think McGroarty could fit with Lowry on the third line and give Cole some more experience to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad