Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Definitely gives off Michael Douglas from Falling Down vibes.

Falling_Down_%281993_film%29_poster.jpg

1657339752386.jpeg

Reminds me a lot of Martin Sheen.

Reactions: ps241

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I hope his comparable isn't Randy Gilhen.
Quite honestly a comparison I see is Killorn with a much higher offensive ceiling. I think he’s got more of a scorer’s touch and just has more overall offensive skills, but the other intangibles he brings are reminiscent to what Killorn brings to the Lightning. He’s a high character player who’s great along the boards and in the trenches. Not afraid of getting his nose dirty, always buzzing in and around the crease. He is responsible defensively and does a lot of the little things that put the team first.

Now those who are already on the fence with this pick may hate to hear that, but I’m not saying he’s he’s destined to become a 3rd liner. Just saying I see plenty of the same attributes that makes Killorn a difficult to play against leader with much better offensive instincts and capabilities.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Quite honestly a comparison I see is Killorn with a much higher offensive ceiling. I think he’s got more of a scorer’s touch and just has more overall offensive skills, but the other intangibles he brings are reminiscent to what Killorn brings to the Lightning. He’s a high character player who’s great along the boards and in the trenches. Not afraid of getting his nose dirty, always buzzing in and around the crease. He is responsible defensively and does a lot of the little things that put the team first.

Now those who are already on the fence with this pick may hate to hear that, but I’m not saying he’s he’s destined to become a 3rd liner. Just saying I see plenty of the same attributes that makes Killorn a difficult to play against leader with much better offensive instincts and capabilities.
He just keeps reminding me of Lowry for some reason. Physical, energy, leader, with more scoring ability. I truly think the goal here is for him to be captain and leader in a few years.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Checks a lot of the boxes for what the Jets are looking for -
based on what I have read:

He's obviously a high character guy that loves the game.
Comes out of a very small marker - no chip on this guys shoulder.
Skill with size - you bet! He should transition quickly into the NHL
Team first type player - wants to support in any way he can.
Great hands and loves to go to the net - haven't had one of those for awhile (other than PLD).
Two way player that plays a heavy game and can score. He'll fit in and support some of our smaller forward talent.
Leadership / maturity at an early age - an attribute that can be under valued.
Looks like the type of player that you do not want to play against - I miss that on this team.

IDK guys - looks like a winner to me and a really nice fit for this market and this team. IMO, he's a top 6 player that will fill a spot not because he is flashy but because he brings all the things listed above - that also happen to be the things we really need.
I personally love this pick - very optimistic.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Obviously no one knows for sure how these picks will pan out but i absolutely love how happy Mcgoalarty is to be a Jet and i think we are............. :nod:

Yea after seeing guys like Trouba and his family not want to be drafted by Winnipeg. Then having a season and off season where guys are wanting out, I am a total sucker for a kid that looks like he just won the freakin lottery coming to Winnipeg. He’s not even faking it which is the hilarious part.

There is no team or fan base that needed this kids attitude more than us at this snap shot in time. Whatever Rutger is selling I’ll take two.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Checks a lot of the boxes for what the Jets are looking for -
based on what I have read:

He's obviously a high character guy that loves the game.
Comes out of a very small marker - no chip on this guys shoulder.
Skill with size - you bet! He should transition quickly into the NHL
Team first type player - wants to support in any way he can.
Great hands and loves to go to the net - haven't had one of those for awhile (other than PLD).
Two way player that plays a heavy game and can score. He'll fit in and support some of our smaller forward talent.
Leadership / maturity at an early age - an attribute that can be under valued.
Looks like the type of player that you do not want to play against - I miss that on this team.

IDK guys - looks like a winner to me and a really nice fit for this market and this team. IMO, he's a top 6 player that will fill a spot not because he is flashy but because he brings all the things listed above - that also happen to be the things we really need.
I personally love this pick - very optimistic.

This was my late choice trying to follow the first round options. You lose Perfetti this year to a shoulder injury, Ehlers to a knee, and you start thinking maybe this team needs to get tougher in the corners of the ice. You know Dubois won't be here by the time he's projected to be a Jet, so that's an organizational need.

If all our last 3 top picks mature at the same time, you could be looking at Mc Groarty-Perfetti-Lucius as the next wave.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sep 30, 2016
Jets' scouting staff trust judgment at NHL Draft to replenish prospect pool

Mark Hillier, Director of Scouting:
"A better skater with the puck on his stick, and he’s a determined kid with a great work ethic. He’s going to put in the work to get better,” said Hillier. “He had the plan laid out when we talked to him at the combine. Nothing to my eye that’s technically wrong with his stride. He’s just got to get a little quicker. I’m confident that he will. We got a hard-nosed, competitive kid here that I hope he's a Winnipeg Jet for a long time. He's the type of player that everybody wants on their depth chart. They're kind of a dying breed. To get a legitimate power forward, I'm excited about that."

“He hasn’t wiped the smile off his face, it’s from ear to ear. Everybody says how high his character is, his grit and determination. But also he scored 50 goals in the combined seasons and events this year. Really happy with adding a guy of his grit and character with his combined skill level and goal-scoring ability. He scores a lot of dirty goals from the corners to the net, high slot. He plays the offside half wall on the power play, he’s got a good shot, a good one-timer. A lot of greasy goals (from) the blue paint around the net.”

Looks like his skating issue isn't a big deal. Can't deny his personality, seems like a fun individual.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
dont mean much

on ice is where its at...in the nhl!...not in the lineup this upcoming season for sure!
Huh?
My post was an observational comment based off my first impressions, not a scouting report, fyi….

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I think he's going to be slower Andrew Copp with a bit more sandpaper. Third line sounds about right - if he can improve his skating.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This was my late choice trying to follow the first round options. You lose Perfetti this year to a shoulder injury, Ehlers to a knee, and you start thinking maybe this team needs to get tougher in the corners of the ice. You know Dubois won't be here by the time he's projected to be a Jet, so that's an organizational need.

If all our last 3 top picks mature at the same time, you could be looking at Mc Groarty-Perfetti-Lucius as the next wave.
Again, McGroarty wouldn't be able to keep up with NHL calibre first liners. I can see him as an energy guy on the third line only if he gets faster. A Brandon Lemieux with better scoring and hopefully more brains, or as I said earlier, a slower but grittier Andrew Copp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad