Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
All i know is the Jets are very good at drafting so i'm going with that. The kid seemed very happy to be drafted by the Jets and that's also a very big plus. And if he becomes a Tkachuk like player this team needs that, some grit and scoring would be perfect.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sep 30, 2016
All i know is the Jets are very good at drafting so i'm going with that. The kid seemed very happy to be drafted by the Jets and that's also a very big plus. And if he becomes a Tkachuk like player this team needs that, some grit and scoring would be perfect.

I'm just hoping he doesn't play dirty as the Tkachuk brothers. I don't want that kind of play on this team.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
His name is very intriguing and I like his passion. It's only a feeling, but he is going to turn out great.

Hope to add the following in 2-3 years:

indiana-jones-last-crusade.gif

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I wasn’t happy missing out on Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Lambert, etc. but after some review I think it’s a good mix with our smaller, skilled centers in Perfetti and Lucius. McGroarty is the kind of hard nosed winger that could do well with them.
Haha, I’m sure you ended up pretty happy!

Reactions: SM

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Disappointed we weren’t able to trade up for a “204” area code or Savioe, but them’s the breaks. We picked two low for the three best Manitobans and too high for the other. Maybe McGroarty will be a slower Copp in the long run.

If we have a steal, will be Lambert.

Reactions: rkp

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I guess this will be the guy we will build our new culture round, which I think is a good thing.
If Rutger (such an IT-Consultant name in Sweden) can be our Landeskog on and off the ice, this worth more than a missed talent. Jets need a glue guy

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dunno much about him. Rankings seem to be mid to late 1st which I think you usually have for a few players every year. Seems like a good upbeat kid, hopefully that translates to on ice top 6 nhl C talent, because we might desperately need that In 2 years. The Jets are V good in the top half of drafts so hope this continues the trend.

Reactions: kellhunter

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
How is he in the locker room :sarcasm:

I know you're joking but apparently he's hilarious and a ball of energy and that likely added to the plus column.

Wheeler tweeted out that this is the 3rd year in a row that the Jets have drafted his favourite player to interview from the draft class (Perfetti, Lucius and now McGroarty)

The guys I had assumed we would pick in Geekie, Nazar or Korchinski all were off the board. Seeing how happy he is to come to Winnipeg seals the deal for me. Seems like a good complimentary skill set for the next core.

Go Jets Go.

Kind of funny that if you said the Jets would walk out of the draft with Lambert and McGroarty I would have thought they were picked in the reverse order but I would have been excited.

Go Jets Go!

Last edited:

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I mean, the kid has a name like a kids’ cereal cartoon pitchman, but looks like his floor may be Copp-lite, and his ceiling Copp-plus, with plenty of versatility and leadership skills, which might make him a terrific complementary player for some of our straight-up talent on the wings.

But can he play with Brad Lambert?

Reactions: RabidOne

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Similar to Perfetti, the Black Book folks seem to think Rutger has the smarts to overcome any skating deficiencies.

IIRC he’s already working the great skater and coach Barb Underhill, so he’s clearly aware of the issues and putting time and effort (and $$$) into addressing them. Look at how far Cole P’s skating progressed between his D and D+1. RM is a bigger body and his stride is pretty strange, but he’s young enough and determined enough that I can see real progress being made.

The kid’s a cornhusker. It’ll take a bit of time.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I mean, the kid has a name like a kids’ cereal cartoon pitchman, but looks like his floor may be Copp-lite, and his ceiling Copp-plus, with plenty of versatility and leadership skills, which might make him a terrific complementary player for some of our straight-up talent on the wings.

But can he play with Brad Lambert?

From what I understand he doesn't transport the puck much from blueline to blueline but then dominates below the dots and Lambert is the best skater in the draft so it honestly could be a perfect match if Lambert handles the transition like an Ehlers does and then gets the puck to McGroarty below the dots in the Ozone to let him go to work.

The forwards for "the next core" are looking stacked with Perfetti, Lucius, McGrarty, Lambert, Barron, Gus, Torgorsson. Add in PLD or what is potentially returned for him in a trade and keeping Ehlers and KFC around as the vets. If these guys continue to develop we should score a lot of goals.

Man do we need a RHD with top pair upside for the group though to add to Samberg, Heinola & JMo.

Reactions: BoneDocUK

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I'm just hoping he doesn't play dirty as the Tkachuk brothers. I don't want that kind of play on this team.
I’m on the other side of that fence. For waaaaaay to long the Jets have been a physically reactionary team. It’s part of the reason I loved Dubois last year. He may have taken a couple too many penalties but no one else was getting in anyones face. Other teams have players who go hard on our stars including the goaltender, the Jets react to it and end up in the box. We need a guy or two who can initiate and create the type of distraction that takes the physical focus away from players like Connor and Ehlers.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
From what I understand he doesn't transport the puck much from blueline to blueline but then dominates below the dots and Lambert is the best skater in the draft so it honestly could be a perfect match if Lambert handles the transition like an Ehlers does and then gets the puck to McGroarty below the dots in the Ozone to let him go to work.

The forwards for "the next core" are looking stacked with Perfetti, Lucius, McGrarty, Lambert, Barron, Gus, Torgorsson. Add in PLD or what is potentially returned for him in a trade and keeping Ehlers and KFC around as the vets. If these guys continue to develop we should score a lot of goals.

Man do we need a RHD with top pair upside for the group though to add to Samberg, Heinola & JMo.
Excellent analysis. Having now watched a few scouting analyses of McGrooooaaarty I think you’re dead on. Could prove to be an excellent complementary player that can slide up and down the lineup and jam in his fair share of goals from the dirty areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad