GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Game 4 | BUF @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
same question as yesterday. How has Jiricek looked these last two games?

He's chasing the play and rushing passes.

I've made the argument that he isn't NHL ready at this stage as a prospect, but what I'm seeing so far in pre-season is below the level I've come to expect from Jiricek. Maybe the timing is off because of a drop in confidence.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He's chasing the play and rushing passes.

I've made the argument that he isn't NHL ready at this stage as a prospect, but what I'm seeing so far in pre-season is below the level I've come to expect from Jiricek. Maybe the timing is off because of a drop in confidence.
It’s his third year in the NHL though, one would hope he should be able to start getting comfortable to at least play third pair

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s his third year in the NHL though, one would hope he should be able to start getting comfortable to at least play third pair

D+3 isn't late in my mind.

I much prefer the path the Wings took with Edvinsson or the Oilers took with Bouchard. If the guy isn't ready, don't rush it. And the AHL schedule is better for strength and skating training, which is really at root of a lot of Jiricek's issues. His puck play is suffering because he is off balance.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
D+3 isn't late in my mind.

I much prefer the path the Wings took with Edvinsson or the Oilers took with Bouchard. If the guy isn't ready, don't rush it. And the AHL schedule is better for strength and skating training, which is really at root of a lot of Jiricek's issues. His puck play is suffering because he is off balance.
Don’t forget he wasn’t very happy with not getting the big league time so another demotion to the AHL might cause some sparks to fly

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don’t forget he wasn’t very happy with not getting the big league time so another demotion to the AHL might cause some sparks to fly

We've talked about that a lot. It could cause some sparks but that can't be what drives our decision, a bad team would focus on that sort of perception issue instead of just slotting players where they're at.

Reactions: Indy18

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I have such high hopes for Jiricek, but I've never been all that impressed with him thus far. He's such a goofy skater.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Personally I'd consider getting Fantilli in the bumper and moving Monahan up to the net. Fantilli is so good with quick shots from the bumper, I think he adds a lot there. And I'm always more interested in loading up the top unit, second units don't get much of a chance.

59 -- 19 -- 91
I'm not against your idea but Monahan is also pretty good at "catch and release", receiving pucks even from his offside (passes from 91 to 23 in this case) and shooting them on net quick.

Another thing to consider: Haviland wants bumper guys to have a lot of movement so maybe Fantilli would be a more natural fit in that sense, but on the other hand, is he as calm and reliable distributor in the middle as Monahan when the team uses the bumper as passing option to not set up for a shot but just to relieve pressure?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad