GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Game 2 09/25/24 | STL @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I'm bullish on Mateychuk and Brindley. It's Sillinger and Jiricek that I wasn't happy with yesterday.
There isn't anyone yet who gets you out of your seat on a regular basis from our prospect pool. Fantilli could be but time will tell and who else. Can't be another Rick Nash era where you have one player and a lot of decent players. We need a couple of elite players to change the course of this franchise, Sillinger hasn't shown as of yet being worth the 12th overall pick, this is his 4th season.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe I’m apart of the doomsday poster crowd. After all, I did say I think we’re going to be terrible. But I also said not to take anything away from preseason games. So who knows.

i think the Johnny tragedy has made a lot of people go from questioning how good/bad we’d be to just expecting it to be as bad as possible. He was the best player on an already bad team, so naturally people are going to say it’s going to be even worse. I don’t think that’s a stretch either.

I’m obviously going to watch and give them a chance, I am still excited to see how the young guys develop (Fantilli especially), but I can’t exactly say the doomsday predictions are totally out of merit either.

But we are a message board of fans. I hope people enjoy posting here. I hope it’s a good community for all to feel welcome. I will do my best as an individual to make it as enjoyable as I can for others to interact with. This place is supposed to be “fun” or engaging.
I don't know that doomsday is the right word. What fun is a message board if we all had the same opinion? Wouldn't be a discussion really. I'm just not one to place judgement on an entire organization when you look at a game like the Buffalo game. For me, it just fits the narrative for some and that's their choice. And I'm not saying being a fan is all roses all the time, but to be disappointed with anything from last night, to me, is utterly ridiculous. Buffalo played with almost an entire NHL roster and we had nothing. Again, you're right, it's a message board. I just don't understand the approach to critiquing anyone at this point in the process.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Maybe I’m apart of the doomsday poster crowd. After all, I did say I think we’re going to be terrible. But I also said not to take anything away from preseason games. So who knows.

i think the Johnny tragedy has made a lot of people go from questioning how good/bad we’d be to just expecting it to be as bad as possible. He was the best player on an already bad team, so naturally people are going to say it’s going to be even worse. I don’t think that’s a stretch either.

I’m obviously going to watch and give them a chance, I am still excited to see how the young guys develop (Fantilli especially), but I can’t exactly say the doomsday predictions are totally out of merit either.

But we are a message board of fans. I hope people enjoy posting here. I hope it’s a good community for all to feel welcome. I will do my best as an individual to make it as enjoyable as I can for others to interact with. This place is supposed to be “fun” or engaging.
Maybe?

Who are these doomsday posters?

If preseason games are totally meaningless, why do we have a thread for them?

Also would like to know what should those people be called who every year seem busy to make fun of the "overreacting doomsday crowd"?
Realistic

Reactions: thebus88

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
There isn't anyone yet who gets you out of your seat on a regular basis from our prospect pool. Fantilli could be but time will tell and who else. Can't be another Rick Nash era where you have one player and a lot og decent players. We need a couple of elite players to change the course of this franchise, Sillinger hasn't shown as of yet being worth the 12th overall pick, this is his 4th season.
That's the sad reality of the organization. We went from Nash, to hoping that Johansen... And then Jones... Would lift us up....And then Panarin finally temporarily did and while Panarin did have better help than Nash, we still very much put Panarin on a pedestal....

And then we hoped Laine would be ..

And then finally Johnny.

While Johnny and Laine have been those guys at different points in their career, they were never on the same level together.

This team needs multiple star players to really get us to that next level. You go look at all of those guys when they played here and with the exception of Jones and Johansen(never really true top tier talent) they had significant gaps between their output and the next closest player.

I would when you go look at championship teams, while they will have some gaps among the top, there's usually at least 1-3 who are feeding off each other and are all pretty close. It's never happened here.

We don't just need one or two guys to hit, we need a handful of guys to all hit within a few years of each other.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Based on this game Svozil should be AHL bound. Speed, strength and compete still aren't quite at the level I'd want them to be.

Jiricek didn't have that many defensive gaffes and again he showed he can create offense in a way a lot of Jackets D aren't able to do, but the skating flaws, occasional bad reads and lack of strength are still there for everyone to see. Maybe best to have him in the bottom pair or as 7D to start the year or just send him to Cleveland.

JJ seemed to be in a surprisingly good steam at 37 but he shouldn't be more than 7D/3LD. I liked Harris' defensive reads and puck management a bit more so I would have him higher in the lineup, I can see him play at either 2RD, 3LD or 3RD.

Ceulemans to AHL and Elick to WHL, and no one's disagreeing I'd guess.
I have been saying this since watching him in last year’s AHL playoffs. Jiricek is still not ready for the NHL.

GMDW & HCDE to Jiricek: David, I am sorry Simon Nemec and other top fifteen d-men in your class are ready to make the jump. We don’t think you are there yet.

More seasoning in the minors might be best for his development and long term outlook. Making him the #7 D is the worse thing they could do. We have to stop rushing prospects, even high first rounders…especially high first rounders.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Making him the #7 D is the worse thing they could do.
I'm not so sure about that. As the 7D in Columbus he would get some time off from the grind of NHL season to build more strength in the gym, watch game tapes and practice with NHL coaches, that might be better for him than playing all year in the Monsters top pair or as a regular 60+ games top-6 D with CBJ.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'm not so sure about that. As the 7D in Columbus he would get some time off from the grind of NHL season to build more strength in the gym, watch game tapes and practice with NHL coaches, that might be better for him than playing all year in the Monsters top pair or as a regular 60+ games top-6 D with CBJ.
Agree to disagree. Did you watch DJ55 in the AHL playoffs last season...he was not great...his defense was still an issue.

He's a right side d-man, he isn't playing on the third pairing in Guddy's place and we know Guddy doesn't work higher in the lineup. Putting him with Z on the top pairing would be a mess because Z cannot trust him defensively and would not be able to play his game. That leaves him playing with Provorov who had more than his share of defensive issues last seasons...do we really want that pairing either? I want the club to have more faith in DJ55's defensive game before he has a roster spot in Columbus. He's not ready and I don't think the NHL is where he should start this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have been saying this since watching him in last year’s AHL playoffs. Jiricek is still not ready for the NHL.

GMDW & HCDE to Jiricek: David, I am sorry Simon Nemec and other top fifteen d-men in your class are ready to make the jump. We don’t think you are there yet.

More seasoning in the minors might be best for his development and long term outlook. Making him the #7 D is the worse thing they could do. We have to stop rushing prospects, even high first rounders…especially high first rounders.

He wasn't close to ready last Spring and as of the first pre-season game he doesn't look to be close now either.

I wouldn't bring up Nemec or any of these other guys Jiricek has been comparing himself to. Talk about the guys that took longer where it paid off in the end, like Evan Bouchard.

It certainly looks like the org is just going to try and manifest Jiricek into being ready, and I hate it. They're already setting the expectation that he is on the team, instead of "let's see how he does".

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Agree to disagree. Did you watch DJ55 in the AHL playoffs last season...he was not great...his defense was still an issue.
Watched the Syracuse and Hershey series, agree that his defense wasn't great then, and I think there could be something to be gained from spending time with arguably best D coaches of the org in Columbus while also not playing as many games as regulars do.

I'm wondering if one of the biggest obstacles for Jiricek to take that next step in his development is his own stubbornness, his own beliefs regards to what kind of a player he is and can/should be in the NHL. He might need the right people around to talk with and to help him to figure out that he could be much more valuable and effective if he paid more attention to improving his defense and playing more of a complete two-way game. I just don't know if they have those people in Cleveland especially now that Haviland is with Columbus.

Just trying to see the problem from another pov that's usually ignored here.

He's a right side d-man, he isn't playing on the third pairing in Guddy's place and we know Guddy doesn't work higher in the lineup.
I'd have no problem playing Gudbranson in the 2nd pair every once in a while to make room for Jiricek to play as 3RD, if that's best for his development. Developing future core pieces of the defense properly is more important to me than worrying about how well or poorly bottom-pair level veterans may perform higher in the lineup for a few games in a season like this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Watched the Syracuse and Hershey series, agree that his defense wasn't great then, and I think there could be something to be gained from spending time with arguably best D coaches of the org in Columbus while also not playing as many games as regulars do.

I'm wondering if one of the biggest obstacles for Jiricek to take that next step in his development is his own stubbornness, his own beliefs regards to what kind of a player he is and can/should be in the NHL. He might need the right people around to talk with and to help him to figure out that he could be much more valuable and effective if he paid more attention to improving his defense and playing more of a complete two-way game. I just don't know if they have those people in Cleveland especially now that Haviland is with Columbus.

I agree with you that the kid might need a mental re-set. I have wondered if his stubbornness is going to prevent him from making the best of his career.

If by 7D you mean some smattering of CBJ games along with heavy practice time, and if you supplemented that with some AHL stints, then I think that would work well. Any combination with 45-65 games sounds good to me. He definitely needs a lot of gym, games, practice, basically everything to reach maturity.

I'd have no problem playing Gudbranson in the 2nd pair every once in a while to make room for Jiricek to play as 3RD, if that's best for his development. Developing future core pieces of the defense properly is more important to me than worrying about how well or poorly bottom-pair level veterans may perform higher in the lineup for a few games in a season like this.

I have much less of a problem with Gudbranson on the 2nd pair then I do Jiricek. But whether Gudbranson in absolute terms is good enough for that role is up in the air. Last year he was good, maybe #4D good. The year before that he wasn't even good enough for bottom pair level.

His level might depend somewhat on systems. He's not an improviser.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad