Rundblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I suggest you rewatch the game, or at least watch it. Because you must have watched some other game last night.

Yeah, that post made me scratch my head too.

The puck bounced on him a few times to start the game, by the second period he was making smart, simple plays to relieve pressure in the neutral zone on a frequent basis.

Solid night for Rundblad all told.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I find it curious how much praise you give Rundblad - presumably because he has the highest Corsi of any player on the team who has played more than half the season - but crap all over Kane for his protected minutes and icetime. And yet you never mention how Rundblad has the most protected minutes on the entire team's defense, by a substantial margin?

Why is that?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I find it curious how much praise you give Rundblad - presumably because he has the highest Corsi of any player on the team who has played more than half the season - but crap all over Kane for his protected minutes and icetime. And yet you never mention how Rundblad has the most protected minutes on the entire team's defense, by a substantial margin?

Why is that?

Where have I ever said that Rundblad doesn't get protected minutes?

He's a third pairing defensemen. Every 3rd pairing defensemen on this team since Q took over gets sheltered minutes. Rundblad's minutes appear even more sheltered because Q refuses to play him. He's getting significantly less ice time than Rozi despite playing every bit as well in the same scenarios. If he played a regular shift instead of getting stapled to the bench for plays that every D on the team commits from time to time, he'd be seeing roughly the same 6% Zone relative as Rozi. Instead, Q gonna Q, so he gets a third as many shifts, skewing toward the Ozone.

The only times I've brought up Rundblad's possession numbers (which have been very few, because I'm aware of how unpopular those stats are in this parts) are in comparison to Rozsival's, another 3rd pairing defensemen. I've brought up Rundblad's production numbers in that debate as well, because whether you go by production or possession, Rundblad has been the surperior player seeing similar levels of competition and a similar level of zone starts, only with less ice-time.

I'm pretty sure this is the only post I mentioned is possession in, and I specifically mentioned his deployment:

His points per 60 is strong, and he has the highest CF% on the team for regulars (players that have played over 30 games). Which makes sense, given his deployment.

Rundblad has played fine-to-great.

People need to stop taking Q's obstinate bull*** as far as punishing young players as evidence for the quality of their play.

Rundblad isn't going anywhere. He'll be a fixture of the Blackhawks top 6 next season given his friendly price.

What kind of disclaimer are you looking for?

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Here is my thoughts on Runblad: Q only looks for d from his D man so what he can do on O is not very important. (he does have the best or 2nd best shot of all D man, Seabs) Runblad does make some turnovers deep in his own end which is a No No but it has for what ever reason not turned into goals this year but Q seems to hate that. Roz JO, and now Hammer cannot seem to hit a forward moving forward (runblad can) and the iceings and turnovers in the neutral zone, which has accounted in way more goals then Runblad being a weak and cute. Run will give up a bad goal with a terrible turnover but I think over the course of a season what he can chip in on the other side and he is good at outlets makes up for it.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
very happy I didn't have to see Rungbad today. Not a surprise the team only conceded 1 goal with him out of the lineup.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
So did Rundblad sit for Cumiskey and Cumiskey had -1 the first thing that happened? Great coaching there...

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The whiners about Rundblad not playing this game, need to step back and see his real game. It ain't great. And until he grows some stones, it won't be.

Love to see Sharp get the winner. He's been squeezing the stick lately.

Another good game from Hossa, as well.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
The whiners about Rundblad not playing this game, need to step back and see his real game. It ain't great. And until he grows some stones, it won't be.

Love to see Sharp get the winner. He's been squeezing the stick lately.

Another good game from Hossa, as well.

yes
yes and
yes.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Watching the game now. Rozsival responsible for 3 separate 2-on-1s against so far (midway through the game so far).

Please. Sit him again.

2-5
27-4
26-7

Please. Pleeeeaaaaase.

Nothingman*

Looks like we were just fine without him today. Though we may have been better with him instead of Rozy.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Looks like we were just fine without him today. Though we may have been better with him instead of Rozy.

Or neither pretty soon.

tumblr_ndq0lvxBpD1rrl9fzo2_500.png

Nothingman*

Or neither pretty soon.

tumblr_ndq0lvxBpD1rrl9fzo2_500.png

He is maybe going to make it back the last week or two of the season. He might not be able to make an impact or be up to game speed in that short a time. And Q might not 'trust' him as much as some of the others. Especially since Cumiskey was liked by Q in camp.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Figure this thread was worth bumping considering the Runblad issue seems to be seeping into various other threads

Safe to say that Rundblad is playing for his NHL career at this point? Already several organizations have given up on him and he looks like a prime candidate to not be qualified at this point

I would like to think that Rundblad will rise to occasion and provide Hawks something positive that helps them win a Stanley Cup. But really its hard to see such an event actually happening

More likely he is replaced by Cumiskey after 2 games then being a success at this point

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He probably is.

He could have a career in Sweden if nobody in the NHL is interested.

I'm still not sure Stan is willing to give up on him entirely. The upside is clear to see. Better offensive instincts than anybody on the team save Seabrook, better first pass out of the zone than anybody save Keith and Seabrook, great shot from the point.

If he takes a 2-way deal for roughly the same money, I could see them sending him to Rockford to work on the defensive fundamentals and see what happens.

In any case, he'll get the same 13 minutes per night of sheltered starts that he got during the season to great success. That leaves Timo to pick up an extra 3-or-4 minutes a night.

I don't see any great drop-off between what the Blackhawks had with Rozsival and what they'll get from Rundblad.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Q is going nowhere and Hawks already have 4 kids better then him that are righties in Johns , Pokka , TVR and Paliotta

Bowman should be looking to move on from his mistake and there is very little talent in Rundblad's game. Hardly has this great offensive talent some talk of

And there is no point in wasting any roster/contract spot on Rundblad going forward. He should not be a Hawk or Hog

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Q is going nowhere and Hawks already have 4 kids better then him that are righties in Johns , Pokka , TVR and Paliotta

Bowman should be looking to move on from his mistake and there is very little talent in Rundblad's game. Hardly has this great offensive talent some talk of

And there is no point in wasting any roster/contract spot on Rundblad going forward. He should not be a Hawk or Hog

More important that Stan doesn't repeat the mistake of extending Rozsival I think. Outside of that, I don't there are any clearly faulty toys that Q can overrely on out of loyalty or misplaced favoritism.

Outside of him, I think Q will play the roster that performs best, whether Rundblad is part of it or not.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Figure this thread was worth bumping considering the Runblad issue seems to be seeping into various other threads

Safe to say that Rundblad is playing for his NHL career at this point? Already several organizations have given up on him and he looks like a prime candidate to not be qualified at this point

I would like to think that Rundblad will rise to occasion and provide Hawks something positive that helps them win a Stanley Cup. But really its hard to see such an event actually happening

More likely he is replaced by Cumiskey after 2 games then being a success at this point

This i the most objective I have ever seen you talk about this subject. I agree with most every thing you posted but I do think he will rise to the occasion and Cumiskey will be an after thought. Johns is more likely to get a look in my opinion. Overall really good post.

LandofLincoln*

I thought Runblad being on the ice for the first two goals were something that he was responsible for especially failing to clear it from the zone. The other negative play where Anaheim scored could have happened to any defenseman, but just so happened to him.

Bad game for Runblad he ended up -1 for the game. I'm not sure he's an NHL defenseman, but Duncan Keith was -3 today and I don't blame Keith for the loss. Goalie win for Anaheim and I'm hoping it's the only goalie win in the series.

Chicago's defense played okay in game one. They played good enough where that effort usually produces a,win. It wasn't our night. Runblad can play better, but he's not even noticed if we score 3-4 goals. Blaming Runblad for the loss this game is a moot point.

We could blame Toews, Kane, Hossa or Sharp for not finding the net.

I'd rather just say it was a goalie win for the Ducks.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
So anyone still want to defend #5?

Playoff Rundblad makes me miss Sean O'Donnell

I'm sure I'm not the only one who new you'd be here.

Rundblad sucked today. Nobody is going to say differently.

Unlike you though, I do have some perspective on his play and the likely expectations. Pop quiz for you BHWC...how many NHL games has Runblad played in during his NHL career? Just over 100. That essentially makes him a sophomore in the league (half his games came this year). Here's another question: how many games has Rundblad played in over the last 3 months? FOURTEEN. He's only played in 14 games and hasn't played in a game since April 9th. I'm sorry, but there's not a lot of lower pairing, inexperienced defensemen that would play well after that kind of a layoff.

Despite being a "horrendous" defenseman he was +17 during the course of the year. He played in too many games for that to be a complete anomaly, especially when compared to other defensemen on the year. Fact is Rundblad is >>> than Roszival was during the regular season and SHOULD have been the regular #6 throughout the opportunity. Had Q given him that opportunity, one in which he definitely deserved, I doubt we would have saw what we did today.

Honestly I don't think Rundblad has the potentially of being anything more than a 2nd pairing guy on a bad team, and a 3rd pairing guy on a good team. But you, just like Q, like to inexplicably bench guys then flame them after they have bad games after receiving little playing time. When Runblad WAS starting every game he was fine. When guys like Pirri were starting every game they were fine. It's this type of ****ing ******** that has run young players out of town only to see them have success elsewhere.

Now do I want Rundblad out there the next game? No, as I think it will take him too many games to get back in the swing of things and we DO NOT have the luxury of time. I'd rather see Johns out there, especially as he hasn't had the kind of layoff the other guys have had. I'm just not naïve or maniacal enough to pin that all on Rundblad. The dumbass behind the bench has a LOT to do with it.

The irony is Q's hard on for vets may very well contribute to this team not winning another Cup. Had he not pulled Runblad out of the lineup for no reason whatsoever it's very unlikely that we'd be having this discussion.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I thought Runblad being on the ice for the first two goals were something that he was responsible for especially failing to clear it from the zone. The other negative play where Anaheim scored could have happened to any defenseman, but just so happened to him.

Bad game for Runblad he ended up -1 for the game. I'm not sure he's an NHL defenseman, but Duncan Keith was -3 today and I don't blame Keith for the loss. Goalie win for Anaheim and I'm hoping it's the only goalie win in the series.

Chicago's defense played okay in game one. They played good enough where that effort usually produces a,win. It wasn't our night. Runblad can play better, but he's not even noticed if we score 3-4 goals. Blaming Runblad for the loss this game is a moot point.

We could blame Toews, Kane, Hossa or Sharp for not finding the net.

I'd rather just say it was a goalie win for the Ducks.

Keith was terrible tonight. He was very passive, giving the Anaheim rush a LOT of room as they came into our zone.

Rundblad was **** out there, and while he needs to play better, there aren't many guys who could have a layoff for that long and come out playing well. We saw during the regular season that Rundblad is pretty good (as a lower pairing guy), when given a consistent opportunity. He's just not the kind of guy that can be expected to play great in spot duty. There aren't many guys like that on either side of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad