Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Im here for the dismantling of the Canucks.

All those trash fans crying about the series, saying thier future was bright... They are about to have a massive UFA exodus. Lindholm gone, Zadorov leaving... Myers will be the big re-signing there. Vancouver is done. Back to missing the playoffs, I hope they enjoy the Pacific division banner next year... Seems to be all they can win

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers don't need a top 4 upgrade on Ceci to start next season to secure playoff positioning. They can afford to wait until the deadline to add a pro-rated contract with accrued cap space.
The Oilers have $10m cap space now, add in a Campbell buyout and Ceci trade and they'd have over $17m to re-sign Holloway, Broberg, ideally Brown, Janmark and Henrique and whoever else with the leftover $7-9m or so after those signings. No need to trade Kulak in addition to Ceci. The Oilers can actually sign a top 6 forward or top 4 Dman in addition to re-signing their own outside of Foegele, they have more space than people think if they buyout Campbell and move out Ceci.
Kulak is a keeper for sure.
If Broberg can play top 4 minutes in the Stanley Cup final (and do it really really well even on his off side) then he should be able to play top 4 minutes in the regular season. His contract heps to offset Nurses albatross contract.

Buyout Campbell and trade Ceci for a draft pick then sign the depth players (Janmark, Holloway and Brown for cheap. Skip on Foegele simply because he is going to be way too expensive.

Start the season on D like this...

Ekholm/Bouchard
Nurse/Broberg
Kulak/Desharnais

Use the leftover cap space (cap will go up as well) to make any necessary adjustments at the TDL.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The Oilers don't need a top 4 upgrade on Ceci to start next season to secure playoff positioning. They can afford to wait until the deadline to add a pro-rated contract with accrued cap space.
The Oilers have $10m cap space now, add in a Campbell buyout and Ceci trade and they'd have over $17m to re-sign Holloway, Broberg, ideally Brown, Janmark and Henrique and whoever else with the leftover $7-9m or so after those signings. No need to trade Kulak in addition to Ceci. The Oilers can actually sign a top 6 forward or top 4 Dman in addition to re-signing their own outside of Foegele, they have more space than people think if they buyout Campbell and move out Ceci.

They don't have enough cap space to add a top 4 dman and a top 6 forward with just those moves. We would be able to afford 2 players at sub 4 which typically doesn't bring in players capable of those roles.

All those trash fans crying about the series, saying thier future was bright... They are about to have a massive UFA exodus. Lindholm gone, Zadorov leaving... Myers will be the big re-signing there. Vancouver is done. Back to missing the playoffs, I hope they enjoy the Pacific division banner next year... Seems to be all they can win

Sounds like they might land Guentzel per Frank. I wouldn't sleep on the Canucks, they like to make moves.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think they still make the playoffs next year, but they're going to take a sizable step back. They have a huge choice to make with Hronek that will indirectly affect us because Bouchard is much better than he is, so if they overpay the Great Value version that will have repercussions.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The difference is that both Broberg and Holloway displayed a high level in the AHL plus NHL size and speed so you can see the makings of a pro with both whereas Bourgault, at least based on numbers, has struggled. Still, I wouldn't give up on him as there's a good skill base to work with but with this being his 3rd pro season he needs to take a leap sooner than later.

Kane is a negative asset with that contract. I think it'll be a lot easier to move Ceci for example than Kane. That extra year would likely be a no go for other GMs.
I don't think they need to move Kane yet. A Campbell buyout and Ceci trade should give them plenty of space to fill out the roster and the emergence of Holloway and Broberg with Lavoie waiting in the wings gives them a lot more options. Might need to deal Kane next offseason though with the impending cap crunch.
I actually kinda like XBs game. Seems like a smart player. He’s not broberg speed wise but he’s not slow and he’s also not small.

He had a great first AHL year. Definitely took a step back at least point wise but he never looks over his head at camp.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I wouldn't write off Vancouver just yet. They will lose some players but might get Guentzel and re-sign Lindholm.

Has anyone credible substantiated this? All I've seen is the fantasy of dumb Nuck fans.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Frank said we are looking to sign Jammark and get his... Perry. Also mentioned Arvidsson as a potential target for the Oilers.

Thinks we look at what a Darnell Nurse trade will look like.

Bob said he expected Janmark, Brown, and Perry to all sign. Perry looks cooked though, I'm not sure it's a great idea.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They don't have enough cap space to add a top 4 dman and a top 6 forward with just those moves. We would be able to afford 2 players at sub 4 which typically doesn't bring in players capable of those roles.

Sounds like they might land Guentzel per Frank. I wouldn't sleep on the Canucks, they like to make moves.
As I stated, they'll have over $17m of cap space with a Campbell buyout and Ceci trade. I said that they would have enough room to sign a top 6 forward OR top 4 Dman after re-signing their own outside of Foegele. How much would Henrique, Janmark, Brown, Holloway and Broberg cost. $8-9m? They'll have space.
My general point is that they don't need to trade BOTH Ceci and Kulak. Trading Kulak at all seems like a mistake, he's a steady presence and a good playoff performer. In fact, I'd be looking to re-sign him actually.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This is how I look at it as well. I think you move Ceci and look at summer options to replace him and see if you can find a partner who will help us get the most out of Nurse. I’d really keep an eye on Dylan Demelo in WPG if he hits the market I think he’d be a great partner for Nurse and would give us a strong defending option and reliable minute eater on the right side.

If a good fit isn’t available via free agency or trade in the summer then I think management should feel comfortable starting the year with Kulak/Broberg/Desharnais (if he extends) filling those 4-6 spots and then accruing cap and looking at options to upgrade throughout the season or st the deadline.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why not keep Kane for at least 1 more year? He should be better once his hernia is fixed.
Because the Oilers are going to need quite a bit of cap flexibility next season to fill out the bottom six, knowing that it's quite likely Henrique prices himself out of Edmonton.

I don't think Kane fills a vital role for us moving forward. And next year it'll be far more important that our team can hold it's own during the regular season without the help of its elites.

There will be no Nurse trade only a buyout near the end of his contract.
His contract is backloaded IIRC. There's no benefit of a buyout if that's the case.

I wouldn't rule out a trade in the future, but as it stands, he's a pretty important roster player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Because the Oilers are going to need quite a bit of cap flexibility next season to fill out the bottom six, knowing that it's quite likely Henrique prices himself out of Edmonton.

I don't think Kane fills a vital role for us moving forward. And next year it'll be far more important that our team can hold it's own during the regular season without the help of its elites.

His contract is backloaded IIRC. There's no benefit of a buyout if that's the case.

I wouldn't rule out a trade in the future, but as it stands, he's a pretty important roster player.
They have cap flexibility as I outlined before. They don't need to trade Kane to create flexibility, next offseason is a different story.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They have cap flexibility as I outlined before. They don't need to trade Kane to create flexibility, next offseason is a different story.
I value Adam Henrique or a similar player over Evander Kane. The Oilers thrive when they have a third center they can rely on to carry a line.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I value Adam Henrique or a similar player over Evander Kane. The Oilers thrive when they have a third center they can rely on to carry a line.
They can keep Kane and sign Henrique. Henrique at this point in his career isn't getting more than 4-5m max.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
They can keep Kane and sign Henrique. Henrique at this point in his career isn't getting more than 4-5m max.
I don't think you keep Henrique or Kane. Kane is past his best before date, and Henrique is a good deadline add but I'd prefer someone with more speed. I love the line of Janmark-Henrique-Brown but 4-5 mill is too expensive for a bottom 6 centre/winger. I'm not sure it's possible but I'd love to target Lawson Crouse if we have the cap space. If we move on from Kane we need to replace his physicality.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think you keep Henrique or Kane. Kane is past his best before date, and Henrique is a good deadline add but I'd prefer someone with more speed. I love the line of Janmark-Henrique-Brown but 4-5 mill is too expensive for a bottom 6 centre/winger. I'm not sure it's possible but I'd love to target Lawson Crouse if we have the cap space. If we move on from Kane we need to replace his physicality.
Henrique is 34. He's not getting over 3M. He also has a family so he most likely want term.

2.5M x 3 years

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
We're at a point now where you can offer guys like Foegele, Henrique, Janmark, Brown 1-1.5 a year max and let them decide if they want to be on a contender or not. Let Perry walk. Look for takers on Kane, Nurse, Ceci.

Look to trade with San Jose who would be willing to move Kostin, 2m for him after what he showed he can do with more than 4th line/healthy scratch minutes would be nice. We know what he brought here and we know how he performed in San Jose. Never fit in with Detroit for some reason. Would kill to have him in this playoff series.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Henrique is 34. He's not getting over 3M. He also has a family so he most likely want term.

2.5M x 3 years
That's pure fantasy.

Still plenty of game in Adam Henrique, who at this point in his career is still a capable second line forward on more than half of the teams in this league.

I don't think he's a realistic option for us after this season because I believe that he'll have offers around his current AAV with term.

Keeping Kane and signing Henrique leaves $10m+ on the following year's cap when Draisaitl and Bouchard's extensions come into play. That's no Bueno.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
That's pure fantasy.

Still plenty of game in Adam Henrique, who at this point in his career is still a capable second line forward on more than half of the teams in this league.

I don't think he's a realistic option for us after this season because I believe that he'll have offers around his current AAV with term.

Keeping Kane and signing Henrique leaves $10m+ on the following year's cap when Draisaitl and Bouchard's extensions come into play. That's no Bueno.
Heads up you're about to be auto'd in the mock here haha

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad