Confirmed with Link: Jean-François Houle Parts Ways with Habs/Rocket to Coach at Clarkson University

Should Houle be brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 69.2%

• Total voters

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'd be pretty mad at Vincent - can we not go back to that old guard of Q coaches?
He’s not old school though he always have been known to be a player coach. Like I said he’s not my #1 candidate and not even in my top 5 but we shouldn’t take only last year to evaluate him but take all the rest of his career

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He’s not old school though he always have been known to be a player coach. Like I said he’s not my #1 candidate and not even in my top 5 but we shouldn’t take only last year to evaluate him but take all the rest of his career

I'll evaluate him on the entirety of his career and I've never been impressed with him, his systems, etc.

The fact he isn't connecting with the kids coming up in Columbus is proof that even if you were a 'players coach' back in the 2000s, the kids coming up now are different.

New age thinking is needed.. not the school of QMJHL anti hockey.

Reactions: EXPOS123

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
So what is the rest of his career about? Not being able to win come playoffs time? Being overrated in the Q, just because he can talk to the media?

Never understood the love for this guy.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'll evaluate him on the entirety of his career and I've never been impressed with him, his systems, etc.

The fact he isn't connecting with the kids coming up in Columbus is proof that even if you were a 'players coach' back in the 2000s, the kids coming up now are different.

New age thinking is needed.. not the school of QMJHL anti hockey.
He did connect very well the kids in Winnipeg only 5 yrs ago though

I would agree with you if we where talking about Benoit Groulx who is exactly the type of coach you’re talking about but it’s not the case with Vincent

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It is interesting that coaching at a second rate D1 program is more desirable job than coaching in arguably the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best league in the world.
Likely has to do with having played there and having been an assistant coach for 6-7 years. An attachment to the school.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I would agree with you if we where talking about Benoit Groulx who is exactly the type of coach you’re talking about but it’s not the case with Vincent

5 years ago is a huge difference. The kids coming up in that reality are different than the kids coming up in this reality.

Time for us to do better and get a more innovative mind. Vincent is dry toast.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
5 years ago is a huge difference. The kids coming up in that reality are different than the kids coming up in this reality.

Time for us to do better and get a more innovative mind. Vincent is dry toast.
If it was me, he wouldn’t be in my list. I personally want a new guy that we will develop.

I just can understand why they would want to speak to him
So what is the rest of his career about? Not being able to win come playoffs time? Being overrated in the Q, just because he can talk to the media?

Never understood the love for this guy.
well prepared coach that is a good communicator. I’m to young to remember him in the Q though

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal

We dodged a bullet there...

Translation: "I hope for the Laval fans that, when it's the right time, the team will acquire veterans to win the cup"

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Manitoba made the playoffs once in 5 years with him and from his time there Connor is the only young guy who developed into anything really good. Other than that, the only guys who played with him in Manitoba and are in the NHL are a bunch of mediocre guys like Roslovic/Samberg/Appleton/Kovacevic.

Any other first rounders and high picks like Logan Stanley, Heinola, Vesalainen and Gustafsson didn't develop or amount to anything under Vincent.

Reactions: MadMslm

Jul 6, 2016
Another name that could pop up in discussions for the new Laval’s coach is Dan Lacroix, the actual Moncton’s coach. He played and was asst-coach at NHL level before. And he is close to the new generation of players.

• Haha
Reactions: David Suzuki

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Another name that could pop up in discussions for the new Laval’s coach is Dan Lacroix, the actual Moncton’s coach. He played and was asst-coach at NHL level before. And he is close to the new generation of players.
He was fired this season by Moncton, we can find a better candidate

Manitoba made the playoffs once in 5 years with him and from his time there Connor is the only young guy who developed into anything really good. Other than that, the only guys who played with him in Manitoba and are in the NHL are a bunch of mediocre guys like Roslovic/Samberg/Appleton/Kovacevic.

Any other first rounders and high picks like Logan Stanley, Heinola, Vesalainen and Gustafsson didn't develop or amount to anything under Vincent.
Most of the guys develop in the AHL are bottom 6 players though

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think JFH did well in terms of the players being brought up seeming prepared. I was expecting Laval to make teh playoffs though, and I was a little dissapointed there.

For him to drop his coaching position to go elsewhere makes me wonder what the issue was.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Would be a great time for DLC to be wrong again
Then again, DLC doesnt really report news, it reports on what people who report news say.

The DLC folks read/listen to a bunch of hockey talks and articles and put the interesting stuff in one place on their site. I see it as a place to read up on what is going on in the media regarding the NHL.

The articles are "this guy says this, this guy says that". Sure, they often come with opinions and sometimes with clickbait titles, but i dont really take articles as DLC being wrong, but the sources they are referring to being wrong.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

When you polish a turd it is still a turd......you can't develop poor draft picks. AHL coaches don't have a bag of magic beans to hand to bad prospects. An AHL coach is there to introduce/teach young players to pro habits on and off of the ice while promoting a healthy environment for growth, the rest is on the player. Players who never make never were going to make it.

Reactions: mdk

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Whoever they go with, I hope they'll take care of it as soon as possible, especially if it means changing some of the assistants as well. You want to have your staff in place with enough time before the camp starts to work out some of the kinks .

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Absolutely not he was god awful with Moncton. Same breakout/zone entries every time it was brutal to watch. Not to mention they drafted a kid 6th overall to barely play him to the point he demanded a trade out. Just not a serious coach, especially not for development.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think JFH did well in terms of the players being brought up seeming prepared. I was expecting Laval to make teh playoffs though, and I was a little dissapointed there.

For him to drop his coaching position to go elsewhere makes me wonder what the issue was.

It's pretty easy.

- Wife is from there.
- They spend the summer nearby.
- Studied, played and coached (assistant coach) there.
- NCAA coaching gig are more stable than AHL gig.
- NCAA teams are not a farm team and therefore less roster instability due to trades/call-ups.
- NCAA teams are not a farm team therefore no limitations on coaching system.
- NCAA coach also help with recruiting players so they have more of a say who plays for them.

If the reason to leave was the Habs org, he would have just not re-signed.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
It's pretty easy.

- Wife is from there.
- They spend the summer nearby.
- Studied, played and coached (assistant coach) there.
- NCAA coaching gig are more stable than AHL gig.
- NCAA teams are not a farm team and therefore less roster instability due to trades/call-ups.
- NCAA teams are not a farm team therefore no limitations on coaching system.
- NCAA coach also help with recruiting players so they have more of a say who plays for them.

If the reason to leave was the Habs org, he would have just not re-signed.
those are all valid points, but isnt this taking a step back if his goal is to make the NHL?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Happy to dee Houle go, and hopefully we won’t see Vincent take his spot. His player utilization and mindset was really weird at times.

He had good times in the Q but his teams always faltered come playoff time. Lack of success in this area has to be concerning.

He didn’t develop much in the AHL with the Moose. All their first round picks didn’t show any sort of improvement over the years.

His short lived tenure in Columbus was truly bizarre, from regressing players, weird comments and head scratching decisions (especially when you hear Wadell’s comments) can never be good.

Hopefully they go with some young blood and gives him a chance to show what can be done.

Reactions: dinodebino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad