Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Not a chance. He's the flashy name in your head right now due to recency bias, but he isn't a top 4 D man. He's going to get overpaid this summer, I have no doubt.
I could see Utah throwing money at Zadorov this summer, they’ve got huge holes on defense and some key Russian prospects coming in the next couple years. Having a guy like him around to help them adjust could be key to getting them to come over.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wouldn’t take Z. Not enough class for a Cup. Also makes plenty of mistakes out there that get glossed over as people are enamoured with his size and “personality”.
I mostly agree, but I always wonder about environment related to these players. Vancouver is basically, and nearly always has been, like how he rolls around, so it make sense.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mostly agree, but I always wonder about environment related to these players. Vancouver is basically, and nearly always has been, like how he rolls around, so it make sense.
True. But he also quit on his team in Calgary too in a completely anti-team player way. I wouldn’t want Z anywhere near a Championship caliber team.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wonder if a Campbell for Kotkaniemi swap might make sense. If Carolina plans to buy him out, they save nearly 700k in actual money for the notoriously cheap Dundon, and we can give Kotkaniemi a shot next year, and if it doesn’t work/we want the cap for Leon, we can buy him out for only a 835k cap hit per year.

I will add another name to the list... Zadorov, Nikita

He’s a #5 (albeit a good one) looking for 6 per. HARD pass.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
He averaged close to 20mins without PP time and seems to be as good if not better than both Ceci and Desharnais.

He also doesn't seem to mind playing in Canada or the western conference. Based on the handshakes he probably now has respect of this team and can see himself winning here.

But yeh, money needs to work , ie him not making more than Ceci.
It was a career year and in my view, he certainly overachieved along with a good chunk of the team. I think he'll be very hard pressed to replicate his success.

Without digging into stats, I seem to recall that he didn't stick with other teams as he just wasn't steady enough.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd have a ton of time for Zadorov, but I think some GM is going to toss 6+mil at him, which he's just not worth.
You love the physicality but he's not a guy that can/should draw top defensive matchups, and he doesn't drive offensive possession at all. There's a reason why he's never been a 20min/game at any point in his career.

With Vinny looking decent (or passable, at least) with Nurse, I still think the correct play on the blueline is just trading Ceci and re-signing Vinny.

Give me a RH vet at ~1mil for the PB, be that Stecher or someone like Colin Miller, and I'd be happy to start the year with that blueline.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Vinny
Broberg-Kulak
Stecher

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Nurse looked his best with Bear and Barrie. Find him a Dman that is respectable defensively and can make a good pass out of the Dzone.

Nurse looked his best playing in more offensive oriented positions with Bear and Barrie. Of course he looks worse when he was moved to a more defensive based role.

If anything move him to play with Bouchard and take the harder assignments away from him. Ekholm is better suited to a defensive role.

Nurse is again bleeding goals terribly in the playoffs, allowing 50% more goals than Ceci 5v5. Nurse actually had less than Ceci when they were playing together, but since Ceci moved away from Nurse, Nurse has continued to bleed goals while I believe none have gone in with Ceci on the ice. At some point you have to give up and say you just cannot give Nurse tough minutes with any reasonably adept D man you can give him with the salary cap limitations.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd take Zadorov especially if we could ship out Nurse somehow. Are there any other highly overpaid defensemen that could maybe play the right side?

Reactions: Vagabond

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I'd take Zadorov especially if we could ship out Nurse somehow. Are there any other highly overpaid defensemen that could maybe play the right side?
1716786575624.png

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nurse looked his best playing in more offensive oriented positions with Bear and Barrie. Of course he looks worse when he was moved to a more defensive based role.

If anything move him to play with Bouchard and take the harder assignments away from him. Ekholm is better suited to a defensive role.

Nurse is again bleeding goals terribly in the playoffs, allowing 50% more goals than Ceci 5v5. Nurse actually had less than Ceci when they were playing together, but since Ceci moved away from Nurse, Nurse has continued to bleed goals while I believe none have gone in with Ceci on the ice. At some point you have to give up and say you just cannot give Nurse tough minutes with any reasonably adept D man you can give him with the salary cap limitations.

I'm wondering if Tanev would be a good partner for him. Would mean shipping out Ceci's contract without taking any back. Hopefully his value is increasing the deeper we get in playoffs.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I propose we simply travel back in time. Just don’t make any trades from like 2015 until we draft Bouchard. Draft Tkachuk, Barzal and Wyatt J, either have Hall or Larsson, keep Eberle, and if it’s possible to still sign Hyman and trade for Ekholm do that too.

Just don’t blow the assets. If you gotta trade Barzal for a dman, whatever, still loaded with talent.

I think we’re stuck in this timeline though boys. Dump cap at the draft so we have room in the off season and for free agency. Buyout Campbell. Pray to god that we can get a 2nd pair D, depth scoring and a goalie.

Need to make the Talbot trade or find an equivalent, also they did kind of trade Barzal for a defensmen. But I would assume you mean an actual top four defender not Rienhart lol. I’m sure Snow’s wife has had enough of him laughing himself to sleep every night over that trade.

The problems with the 2015-2020 Oilers was the injuries to Klefbom and Sekera also Larson missed some time as well the D core was just gutted. And if the team was improved too much these a good chance the Oilers are not in a position to draft 40 year old Bouchard. Or make it worse and draft Makar? Though I know you’re talking in hindsight/theoreticals but there’s a slim chance the Oilers could afford to have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Tkachuk on the roster and be more competitive then they are now.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wonder if a Campbell for Kotkaniemi swap might make sense. If Carolina plans to buy him out, they save nearly 700k in actual money for the notoriously cheap Dundon, and we can give Kotkaniemi a shot next year, and if it doesn’t work/we want the cap for Leon, we can buy him out for only a 835k cap hit per year.
This is exactly the type of move they should be looking to make if possible. Even if Carolina had not planned on buying him out they may make this deal just to save some money. They owe him $30M over the remainder of his contract. That's a lot of money for a guy who is at best an average third liner.

Frankly, if this deal happened I'd probably buy him out anyway. I think that money could best be used on the defense.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

He’s a #5 (albeit a good one) looking for 6 per. HARD pass.
Campbell has 3 years left. Kotka has 6 years. It's better to unload Campbell for a pick.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
We gave up 1st for Henrique to sit out most games. Even when he's in the lineup he's kind of a nothing burger
We gave up a first for two players, and Henrique was a good player once he got acclimatized to the team and he has been injured. It isn't worth a 1st to keep $1M-1.5M in cap space. At some point we might need some draft picks...lol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We gave up a first for two players, and Henrique was a good player once he got acclimatized to the team and he has been injured. It isn't worth a 1st to keep $1M-1.5M in cap space. At some point we might need some draft picks...lol
1st to ship out Campbell can also mean we have the cap space to sign a good player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad