Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah that won't work. People here who are hurting will be outraged that Cody ceci isn't paying provincial taxes.
When it comes to taxes there will always be people outraged. But yeh I agree it’s never happen. It should happen though.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
When it comes to taxes there will always be people outraged. But yeh I agree it’s never happen. It should happen though.
No it shouldn't. If anyone should get tax breaks its someone in demand like a family doctor. Not a 7th dman for the oilers.

Reactions: Skar

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It definitely shouldn’t happen. The Oilers being able to field a more competitive team via lower taxes shouldn’t even rank as remotely important relative to the brutal cost of living many in Edmonton (and all of Canada really) are facing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It definitely shouldn’t happen. The Oilers being able to field a more competitive team via lower taxes shouldn’t even rank as remotely important relative to the brutal cost of living many in Edmonton (and all of Canada really) are facing.
Meh. Tax the corporations for that. And support the thing that makes Canadians happiest, hockey. That can have indirect economics effects too.

Really only an in-depth study can determine the answer to this. Again, I know it’s an out there theory, and it 100% won’t ever happen. But I think it should.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Meh. Tax the corporations for that. And support the thing that makes Canadians happiest, hockey. That can have indirect economics effects too.

Really only an in-depth study can determine the answer to this. Again, I know it’s an out there theory, and it 100% won’t ever happen. But I think it should.
Hockey being something that people here enjoy doesn’t actually “fix” anything though. It’s just a distraction at best. The realities of life are still there after the game ends.

Giving Cody Ceci (or any Oiler) a tax break that saves him at least a few hundred-thousand dollars is outrageous, when giving a tax break of a few thousand to a regular everyday person would likely make the difference of having a bit of breathing room financially. Stop this tone-deaf nonsense.

Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hockey being something that people here enjoy doesn’t actually “fix” anything though. It’s just a distraction at best. The realities of life are still there after the game ends.

Giving Cody Ceci (or any Oiler) a tax break that saves him at least a few hundred-thousand dollars is outrageous, when giving a tax break of a few thousand to a regular everyday person would likely be the difference between going deeper in debt, and having a bit of breathing room. Stop this tone-deaf nonsense.
National Pride is a thing governments do address though. I realize there’s more pressing and serious things in this country than Hickey. That doesn’t stop the government from still dealing with those and also dealing with the overall happiness and pride citizens have in their country.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

It’s a nice fairytale

Sadly, I think good management would help Canadian teams a lot, but they’re severely handicapped in the cap / NMC world. Why sign up here for less, unless you don’t have any choice? I guess if you think you’re going to win?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’s a nice fairytale

Sadly, I think good management would help Canadian teams a lot, but they’re severely handicapped in the cap / NMC world. Why sign up here for less, unless you don’t have any choice? I guess if you think you’re going to win?
I know it’s an out there idea and will never happen.

But you can’t deny that Hockey is important to our country and people. And it pains the country to see our sport being exported south and no success up north.

There’s not even that many players really. Like what, 800 people tops we’d be doing this tax exemption for? Seems to me a small cost to pay to increase pride and happiness country wide. But hey, Canada unlike the US has never pushed national Pride. So yeh probably a fantasy.

The bad management vs bad circumstances is a debate I’ve had for a long time. Like yeh, maybe Oilers management isn’t the greatest, but it’s also the toughest management job in the league imo. Hard to build a winner up here when no one wants to play here.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
New GM interview.

Question #1: How will you get Nurse off this team?
Acceptable Answer: Send a first round pick with him and some salary retention.
Hiring answers:
1. Robidas Island.
2. Plant drugs at border crossing.
3. Trade with Holland when he becomes BJ GM
even Holland ain’t touching that contract and he is the one that offered it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Nurse for Necas

Sign Zadorov and Carrier
the100-lulu-gifs.gif

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think it would take a lot of persuasion with him dropping comments like he gets blamed for everything including the traffic on Wayne Gretzky Dr. It would be more challenging moving that contract.
I wonder if deal like Nurse for Orlov and Kotkaniemi could happen.

Orlov wasn't great in Carolina last year and Kotkaniemi has been "underwhelming" So there might be a fit here. Maybe include Ceci going back as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yup, Nurse would likely waive, especially if he ends up getting HS’d this series

Finding a taker would be tougher. Since he’s buyout proof, even heavy retention would be worthwhile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad