Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If management thought Myers had a long future in Winnipeg, I think he'd already be locked up to a new contract.
I'm sure he would be if he was willing to take what the majority of posters would be willing to pay him. I think the Jets would like to keep Myers but their cap crunch is real, and he isn't going to be signed this far out unless he is willing to sign some sort of crazy team friendly deal.

Reactions: GNP

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ehh there was an investment in the young guys, getting experience, learning etc.

There's something to show for that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's pretty hard to give out options, I don't know who is available for trade or who is going to be available in free agency.

Assuming Trouba is gone, and we don't get a defensemen for him. I would use some combination of those assets to try to add someone like Pesce or Sanheim.

It would be a lot easier to maneuver this situation if we had the two first round picks we traded the last 2 deadlines tbh.
I'm less and less worried about getting a defenseman back for Trouba. IMO Niku will end up being our Trouba replacement. He prefers the right side and sees himself as a RHD. It is obvious the kid has skill to burn and some of the things he is capable of are jaw dropping. And he is becoming more and more defensively aware with each passing game. I wouldn't be surprised if he is not considered a star within a couple years. You then add Samberg as a steady 2nd pairing LHD down the line I think we are then very strong on the backend. IMO the long vision should be to convert Trouba into a young top 6 center to play behind Scheifele.

Reactions: jokesondee and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm less and less worried about getting a defenseman back for Trouba. IMO Niku will end up being our Trouba replacement. He prefers the right side and sees himself as a RHD. It is obvious the kid has skill to burn and some of the things he is capable of are jaw dropping. And he is becoming more and more defensively aware with each passing game. I wouldn't be surprised if he is not considered a star within a couple years. You then add Samberg as a steady 2nd pairing LHD down the line I think we are then very strong on the backend. IMO the long vision should be to convert Trouba into a young top 6 center to play behind Scheifele.

King Bogo shall "reign forever" -- one of the best posters on this site. :)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i feel like Myers is the player that people think Gardiner is. Gardiner had produced offense quite well from the back-end (notably at 5v5), good with/without heat maps, and seems like he's proficient in zone entry/exit/denials. probably has similar brain-farts as Myers but better at everything else.

Reactions: Maukkis

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm curious what defensive mess you believe we have? When we are healthy we have a very nice defensive group. Players the caliber of Kuli and Myers as a bottom pair is a fantasy for most teams. Now we also have the depth to plug in almost seamlessly.
Long-term thinking, my man. Remove Trouba, and that thing collapses.

Also, for a combined 10M of cap space, Kulikov and Myers are putting up unacceptably bad numbers across the board. Both need to leave in July.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I've been thinking along the same lines about Niku for a while. If Morrow/Beaulieu can play top pair with Trouba then Niku certainly ought to be able to play top pair with Morrissey - by next year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Long-term thinking, my man. Remove Trouba, and that thing collapses.

Also, for a combined 10M of cap space, Kulikov and Myers are putting up unacceptably bad numbers across the board. Both need to leave in July.

I'm curious what those numbers are. Seems to me like Myers is leading the defense, and without Morrissey, Trouba is getting scored on a lot these days. I think we have 1. Buff 2. Morrissey 3. Trouba 4. Myers. The gap between 3 and 4 is made to be a chasm on these boards, but the reality is the difference isn't that great. Trouba is a better skater, and a better defender. Trouba's numbers without Morrissey though are probably closer to Myers regular numbers? That's what I see. Trouba struggled with Niku, has been average with Beaulieu, with Myers competing in minutes, and has been bad with Morrow.

We can build assets with Trouba. Myers can walk so we lose another key player for nothing. If we re-sign Trouba as a self-rental, we lose 4 key assets in 3 seasons, plus 2 first round picks to get 2 of them. Plus depth assets. That's losses that I don't think any team can endure. I think Myers commands at the very least Enstrom money, with more value, and the fact that he wants to stay, is something that can not be overlooked.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm curious what those numbers are. Seems to me like Myers is leading the defense, and without Morrissey, Trouba is getting scored on a lot these days. I think we have 1. Buff 2. Morrissey 3. Trouba 4. Myers. The gap between 3 and 4 is made to be a chasm on these boards, but the reality is the difference isn't that great. Trouba is a better skater, and a better defender. Trouba's numbers without Morrissey though are probably closer to Myers regular numbers? That's what I see. Trouba struggled with Niku, has been average with Beaulieu, with Myers competing in minutes, and has been bad with Morrow.

We can build assets with Trouba. Myers can walk so we lose another key player for nothing. If we re-sign Trouba as a self-rental, we lose 4 key assets in 3 seasons, plus 2 first round picks to get 2 of them. Plus depth assets. That's losses that I don't think any team can endure. I think Myers commands at the very least Enstrom money, with more value, and the fact that he wants to stay, is something that can not be overlooked.
Myers is not leading anything. Quite the opposite, actually.

upload_2019-3-22_17-44-1.png

Myers might want to stay, but if he commands north of 5 as a consistently bad defenseman, why should we want him to stay? There is no reason to keep him around at the money he will command. Us having mismanaged other assets does not change the fact that there is very little upside in keeping Myers around. We should give (some of) Tyler's money to Trouba, and we would look so much better off on the back end.

Don't get attached to your depth. That goes especially for bad depth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It isn't that Trouba has been without Morrissey. It is that he has been with Beaulieu and Morrow.

How do Trouba and Myers add up to 4 assets? What else are you counting here? Are you counting the loss of Stastny and Hayes? And the loss of the assets used to acquire them? Interesting accounting.

Myers for Enstrom money? Good gawd, no!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Isn't Subban one of the worst GAR players in the league this year? I have a lot of trouble with GAR on how it will determine what is a successful team or not. The Oilers have 3 or 4 guys that are top GAR guys and it doesn't make them a winner.

I will say this about Myers, without him right now we would be in a much much worse place then we are. He isn't a top 1/2 guy but I firmly believe he would be a solid 3/4 guy on any team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Isn't Subban one of the worst GAR players in the league this year? I have a lot of trouble with GAR on how it will determine what is a successful team or not. The Oilers have 3 or 4 guys that are top GAR guys and it doesn't make them a winner.

I will say this about Myers, without him right now we would be in a much much worse place then we are. He isn't a top 1/2 guy but I firmly believe he would be a solid 3/4 guy on any team.

Pretty good chance we see that next year. And for several years after that, whether he is good or bad.

I don't think the models for GAR, WAR and expected this or that are very well developed yet. In fact, I don't think there are even standardized definitions for those terms. Not saying they shouldn't be used, but look at several different ones and then be a little skeptical.

Reactions: Daximus and Saintb

Whileee

May 29, 2010

View attachment 203219

Myers might want to stay, but if he commands north of 5 as a consistently bad defenseman, why should we want him to stay? There is no reason to keep him around at the money he will command. Us having mismanaged other assets does not change the fact that there is very little upside in keeping Myers around. We should give (some of) Tyler's money to Trouba, and we would look so much better off on the back end.

Depends on what metrics you use. Looking at his expected goals metrics 5v5 he's second best among Jets' D this season, behind only Morrissey.

Reactions: Pongs21

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Depends on what metrics you use. Looking at his expected goals metrics 5v5 he's second best among Jets' D this season, behind only Morrissey.

He will always have his weaknesses. But hes been stepping up lately and making plays that lead to goals. Same as he did last year in the playoffs.

Not saying hes great, or worth 6 million. But the guy is a contributor that can make big plays most bottom pair D wont even try.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

View attachment 203219

I love GAR because that’s how I know that Brendan Lemieux has been better than Blake Wheeler this year...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I love GAR because that’s how I know that Brendan Lemieux has been better than Blake Wheeler this year...
That's high SH% for you.

Also, good job picking the outlier as a weak attempt of disproving a very valid point.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
That's high SH% for you.

Also, good job picking the outlier as a weak attempt of disproving a very valid point.

Hah one outlier? You think Chiarot is better than Byfuglien? Appleton better than Laine?

You would think a number that was supposed to be an all inclusive rating of a players impact wouldn’t be so heavily skewed by something as obvious as unsustainable shooting luck.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A few outliers...

Roslovic, Chiarot and Appleton over Wheeler and Buff...
It is well documented how Wheeler has been on the wrong side of the puck this season without Ehlers, which brings his GAR down. Appleton got to enjoy that same SH% boost than Lemieux, so there's that. If my memory serves, players' GAR values are cumulative, so Buff being hurt for so long has hurt him.

Also, any comments on Myers being dead last? No one seems to be interested in arguing the point I made, but rather try to work around it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It is well documented how Wheeler has been on the wrong side of the puck this season without Ehlers, which brings his GAR down. Appleton got to enjoy that same SH% boost than Lemieux, so there's that. If my memory serves, players' GAR values are cumulative, so Buff being hurt for so long has hurt him.

Also, any comments on Myers being dead last? No one seems to be interested in arguing the point I made, but rather try to work around it.
I have concerns about GAR for a number of reasons, which I suppose is the point. Myers doesn't look good using the GAR metric, but do you have any comments on the fact that Myers is second only to Morrissey in RAPM expected goals plus/minus per 60? That metric accounts for context, teammates, competition and time on ice.

To refresh everyone's memory...

upload_2019-3-23_12-42-40.png

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I have concerns about GAR for a number of reasons, which I suppose is the point. Myers doesn't look good using the GAR metric, but do you have any comments on the fact that Myers is second only to Morrissey in RAPM expected goals plus/minus per 60? That metric accounts for context, teammates, competition and time on ice.

To refresh everyone's memory...

View attachment 203667
I recall EW themselves advising against using their metrics prorated.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What do you mean by that? We shouldn't look at xGPM_60?
If I could find the original tweet with all the context, I'd post it here.

I assume the stat isn't worthless, but possibly just more misleading. Not certain about that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad