Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You said that a buyout of Campbell should be a cause of Concern for Leon’s camp. I’m saying the boys all thought it was a good signing and most were super excited about it. Everyone was wrong and holding the team hostage because everyone was wrong is not something I think he would do.
They can rid themselves of that contract in ways other than a buyout.

If they choose that path, then I personally see it as bad management. Especially if they also retain on Nurse who I also think doesn't need to be immediately traded.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I've said this a hundred times over many years, "the Oilers will never win in the playoffs with McLeod as their third line center."
You're the same guy that shit talked Bouchard as garbage who would hold us back in the playoffs and RNH as well, you realize us making it to GM 7 of the Stanley Cup has made a million different things you said complete BS, the margin between the teams was basically non-existent, 1 good or bad bounce could've made for an entirely different outcome.

Bottom line is we needed 2 more goals in GM 7, it could of been as simple as a healthy Drai, McDavid, or Kane getting us one goal in regulation and then a dozen other people could of been an OT hero.

I think if time has proved anything it's your ability to be consistently wrong and taking what you say and doing the opposite is a much better path than following your advice, I personally see you as a Jim Cramer-esque figure on these boards. You are so consistently wrong that if I was hiring a team to GM the Oilers from this board you would be my 2nd pick, there is a ton of value in knowing precisely what not to do.

That said thanks to your advice it's clearly time to double down on McLeod.

Reactions: TB12

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Reading HFoil these days makes me think we really need to bring back lobotomies.

The Joshua contract is hilarious, it’s basically the Kassian deal Holland got lambasted for except more money and includes a ntc. They basically signed at the same age but at least Kassian had more of a track record in the league. Joshua is a career AHLer who had a decent season at 28 years old while shooting 21% on a team on a PDO darling where basically everyone had a career year.

When he regresses there’s going to be a lot of spin about how he doesn’t need to score to be valuable. Probably right up until Alvin ships him out with another second round pick to get rid of him so he has space to sign the next bad contract.
It's a horrible deal, no doubt about that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You're the same guy that shit talked Bouchard as garbage who would hold us back in the playoffs and RNH as well, you realize us making it to GM 7 of the Stanley Cup has made a million different things you said complete BS, the margin between the teams was basically non-existent, 1 good or bad bounce could've made for an entirely different outcome.

Bottom line is we needed 2 more goals in GM 7, it could of been as simple as a healthy Drai, McDavid, or Kane getting us one goal in regulation and then a dozen other people could of been an OT hero.

I think if time has proved anything it's your ability to be consistently wrong and taking what you say and doing the opposite is a much better path than following your advice, I personally see you as a Jim Cramer-esque figure on these boards. You are so consistently wrong that if I was hiring a team to GM the Oilers from this board you would be my 2nd pick, there is a ton of value in knowing precisely what not to do.

The difference in that game is literally as small as a not great goal from Skinner and a Bouch bomb off the post a bit earlier. I don’t even mean that as a criticism of Skinner. Just agreeing it really is crazy how close it all was.

Reactions: Faelko

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
They can rid themselves of that contract in ways other than a buyout.

If they choose that path, then I personally see it as bad management. Especially if they also retain on Nurse who I also think doesn't need to be immediately traded.
They will do everything under the sun to trade him I’m sure. But the chances are low they find a taker may Philly but I’m not sure. If they are unable to trade him a buyout is THE only option. You can’t bury him for second year the cap savings don’t do enough

cruisecity

May 24, 2024

I think it is reasonable as of last year to have questioned Bouchard's capabilities as a defender. Let's not forget how his play, especially in the defensive zone skyrocketed even just this calendar year since New Years.

I would also agree with Broberg Speed in regards to RNH. An absolute do-nothing at even strength in the playoffs while playing first line minutes. Make no mistake, RNH does nothing while playing all his minutes at evens with the best player on earth. He fails.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think the problem with him is he's always been more agile than fast and it seems like it's only got worse with age.

View attachment 888198

Being really slow and soft isn't a great combo.
He probably is slow and soft. And probably not great defensively. But for a team that struggles to find finish. He could be an immense addition to our Line 2. He's a wizard in tight spaces, with elite poise and finish. I watch this and want this next to Drai:

Reactions: McTonyBrar

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It's smarter to bury Campbell's contact again this season than to buy him out, it would be better to buy him out next season when Drai and Bouchard are extended it also shortens the buyout length in cap year hits by 2 years

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think it is reasonable as of last year to have questioned Bouchard's capabilities as a defender. Let's not forget how his play, especially in the defensive zone skyrocketed even just this calendar year since New Years.

I would also agree with Broberg Speed in regards to RNH. An absolute do-nothing at even strength in the playoffs while playing first line minutes. Make no mistake, RNH does nothing while playing all his minutes at evens with the best player on earth. He fails.
You're Duul.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's smarter to bury Campbell's contact again this season than to buy him out, it would be better to buy him out next season when Drai and Bouchard are extended it also shortens the buyout length in cap year hits
Lets see if his numbers can be inflated playing behind Knob defence first, which we still haven't seen. Some team will have a goalie emergency this season and maybe would take Campbell at that point if he shows well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He probably is slow and soft. And probably not great defensively. But for a team that struggles to find finish. He could be an immense addition to our Line 2. He's a wizard in tight spaces, with elite poise and finish. I watch this and want this next to Drai:

That line hasn't really lacked finish, I'd say. They've struggled more at generating chances and zone time. Probably because Kane is the worst defensive player on the team and doesn't impact the game at all outside the offensive zone. Drai can be a little hot and cold when it comes to that too.

I don't think adding another player like that is going to improve that line. I think a guy like Holloway would actually improve it more. Someone that will come down into the defensive zone, win battles and skate pucks out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He wasn't.

You get one team to take on 2 mil for 3 years. That's around a 2nd round pick. That leaves three years at 3 mil. Throw in a prospect and pick and it's done.

No 6 years of pain. I mean, seriously, if I was Drai's agent and saw the Oilers go to the old tried and not true buyout path, I'd advise him to be gone. That's 6 mil dead next year followed by 2.3 and then 2.7. Those are 8 million dollar players at the deadline.

That kind of winger would look good on Drai's wing.
I am totally with you in terms of coming up with a scenario to get rid of Campbell. Its very tough to secure that kind of a deal though but not impossible.

My point was more about why Holland thought Campbell was worth a $5M long term contract in the first place.
That was such an abject failure almost right form the get go that I have to wonder what they were looking at to think Campbell was a good bet.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I doubt anyone was lining up for Campbell. A fair offer would have been 4 million x3.
I would like to have a sit down with Holland and ask him what metrics/video evidence suggested that Campbell was THE goalie worth taking a risk on.
I mean Campbell was the goalie that Holland thought was the best possible fit to guide this team to a SC.
WTF?

Reactions: rec28

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That line hasn't really lacked finish, I'd say. They've struggled more at generating chances and zone time. Probably because Kane is the worst defensive player on the team and doesn't impact the game at all outside the offensive zone. Drai can be a little hot and cold when it comes to that too.

I don't think adding another player like that is going to improve that line. I think a guy like Holloway would actually improve it more. Someone that will come down into the defensive zone, win battles and skate pucks out.
Hmm yeh I would agree with that assessment. Doesn't help that Kane can be a bit a play killer when they finally do get the puck in the o-zone.

But maybe some combination of an improved 2nd pair, a pace pushing RW, could get us more zone time. Then Skinner can work his magic.

Reactions: McDNicks17

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Victor Olofsson will probably take $1m.

Skinner is going to have suitors.

If you want empty offense, don't pay through the teeth for it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I would like to have a sit down with Holland and ask him what metrics/video evidence suggested that Campbell was THE goalie worth taking a risk on.
I mean Campbell was the goalie that Holland thought was the best possible fit to guide this team to a SC.
WTF?
Apparently Schwartz watched "hundreds of hours of video" and deemed him our guy.

• Haha
Reactions: McTonyBrar

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Victor Olofsson will probably take $1m.

Skinner is going to have suitors.

If you want empty offense, don't pay through the teeth for it.
Well I'd only want him at a discount. Which I'm just assuming is a possibility based on his contract being bought out and him never being on a contender. If not, whatever, lets look at other options.

Reactions: belair

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It is doomsday, decade of darkness 2.0. Make no mistake about it.

I disagree.

Draisaitl at $8.5M even for one year is worth the risk, no doubt about that... who gets to have the 2nd best playoff performer of our generation for $8.5M... it's an absolute no brainer.

And Draisaitl at $13M is also a no brainer for the 2nd/3rd best forward in hockey. That's why it's priority #1, PLAN A.

However, if you plan for it to happen and it doesn't work out there are other ways to spend $13M wisely. That's a definite PLAN B, but it can be made to work as long as McD isn't pissed off (which he wouldn't be because there is no way Draisaitl leaves over money... we will offer him a blank cheque... he only leaves if he wants to leave).

In scenario A we sign both McD and Drai.... our window is extended until the early 2030's. BUT... it doesn't really reopen until 2027 since Drai and Bouch take up the cap increase in 2025 and McD takes up the cap increase in 2026. There's nothing left for the deadline AND we still have to resign our RFA's Skinner, Broberg and Holloway (since they are most likely bridged when they come due this summer and next). But all of that doesn't matter... you have the TWO best playoff performers of our generation and your window is the later 6 of the 8 years they sign for. It's all worth it.

HOWEVER

If it doesn't happen, the silver lining is that in Scenario B you have options:
  • B1: you can go out next summer and sign a huge fish like Shesterkyn or Rantanen or Marner and likely still keep a million or two in the bank since they'll all be signing for less than Drai. And that million or two becomes $4.5M to $9.0M in purchasing power at the deadline, OR
  • B2: you can go out that summer and sign two aging stars or strong depth players for $5M each.... and again, still keep $9M+ in purchasing power for the deadline. Two guys like Crosby, or Marchand, or Pionk, or Konecny, or Verhaegh, or Saros, or Ullmark or Larsson... you get to pick two.
  • And the guys potentially available to spend your $9M in TDL cap are also no slouches... but how about Eichel, or Makar (lol), or Kaprizov, or Robertson, or Boone Jenner. Who knows exacly who will be available, but for sure some important players will be and you can game it so you have the cap to make it happen.
Obviously in either of those scenarios your team going into the playoffs is lacking the nuclear power of McDrai, but the depth is superior to anything scenario A can offer in 2025 or 2026 or 2027... it probably takes Scenario A until 2028 to build that depth... and by then McDrai are 32 and 33 years old respectively.

Also, Messier stuck around after Gretz. McDavid has Jackson's ear... I'm not convinced he leaves just because his best makes a career decision.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
gauging from your immediate emphatic response....
Sincerely go find a team worthy of you fandom, it will save us all a lot of time.

You literally included him with the two real buyouts. Maybe the future will show you correct, but your current reality did not add up. ;)
Again, because he will be bought out, a trade is near impossible and you can't keep him. No matter how sad dead cap makes you, that truely doesn't matter. Ignoring reality won't make it not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad