Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Holland left the next guy with some extremely hard decisions to make.

Since Holland created a buyout proof deal, along with massive overpay and NMC for Nurse's contract, he probably left the biggest pile of garbage that any Oilers GM has left behind, plus Campbell.

The cost to replace is almost a no-brainer for both these guys. Broberg + a solid 4-5M RHD is probably better than Nurse + Broberg on his off side. a 5M D + Nurse's 2.3M retained is 2M cheaper than Nurse's contract. That's 2M to improve the team still.

Campbell, replacement is probably a league minimum backup goalie. You save 3.9M buying Campbell out. That's 3M extra to improve the team.

This needs to end with the current GM's decisions, but sadly, for now it has to continue because of the last GM's decisions. We could improve our cap situation by $5M with zero loss to performance if we could trade Nurse with 25% retained and buyout Campbell. Gotta find that RHD of course, so we better get a GM that can make moves like Zito did for Florida.
Yea. The new GM is essentially going to have to decide between Nurse or Bouchard. You cant have both making close to 18M. Trading Nurse with retention and buying out Campbell is way too much dead cap for a team that wants to win now (Neal, Brown's bonus, Perry's bonus). Leon's line needs a Bouchard to outlet the puck. Nurse is not that guy.

Was Knob a hire by Holland or Jackson?
Jackson

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If Crosby and Malkin had the same support that Connor and Leon do, they also could have made the cup finals this year.
Good point also like to add if we end with two or 3 cups who GAF about the contracts 6 years from now

If McDrai fall off a cliff in years 4-8 I wouldn't even mind. Just extract the best Win NOW hockey we can and whatever happens, happens.
Ha I just posted almost the same thing

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He doesn't deserve ALL the slander he's getting, but one cup finals appearance in 9 years of McDavid is still unacceptable. Bad deals aside (AA, Campbell, Nurse) he made some really good moves; however, it's what he didn't do time and time again. He was too scared to make any big TDL/summer and make this team over the top. Yes, we are perennial contenders, but we should've been slam dunk favourites and been able to blow teams out of the water. We are right on the cusp, but we're not good enough to be locks and, to me, that's unacceptable. Holland pandered to the team sentiment as well as his own inability to take a risk and we should've walked away with better pieces and each of the last few TDLs (in terms of fwds).
One in 5 under Holland and he took over a team that was bottom 10 in the league two years in a row, a cap strapped bottom 10 team no less.

Holland was far from perfect and certainly deserves some criticism but the amount of slander he receives from some on this board is unwarranted. A lot of his guys played big roles in their Cup run this season and even his drafted guys are starting to look better in time.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
One in 5 under Holland and he took over a team that was bottom 10 in the league two years in a row.

Holland was far from perfect and certainly deserves some criticism but the amount of slander he receives from some on this board is unwarranted. A lot of his guys played big roles in their Cup run this season and even his drafted guys are starting to look better in time.
The main people criticizing Holland are the people that hated the hire from day one.

Reactions: TB12

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Was Knob a hire by Holland or Jackson?
Jackson. I’ll find the article where one of Knoblauch’s previous employers was called by Jackson asking if he thought he was ready for the nhl.

Just busy at work, will post it later on today.

Last edited:

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
One in 5 under Holland and he took over a team that was bottom 10 in the league two years in a row, a cap strapped bottom 10 team no less.

Yeah. I mean he had misses, but when he hit he HIT. I agree with this completely. Like I said, I think his faults/failure is more on what he didn't end up doing rather than the bad deals he made.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We just saw former Oiler great, Alex Petrovic, play that role in the playoffs. Finding third pairing guys with no offensive value isn't all that tough.

Hopefully we're at a point where good veterans will take cheap one year deals here for a chance at the Cup too.
You can get away with a weak bottom pairing if your top 4 is excellent and stays injury free. If Ekblad or Montour went down, Florida would have been in a world of trouble. Our problem was we had a great top pairing and then two third pairings. I think we'll be surprised during free agency with some veterans willing to sign 1 year deals with us for a bargain.

To be fair, in 8 years McDavid will be close to Crosby's age. How has Crosby and the Pens looked in the last couple of years?
Crosby would still be a 1C on most teams. It's the rest of the Penguins that have been bad.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Where do you get that from? :huh:
Saying goodbye to Draisaitl is saying goodbye to McDavid. Saying goodbye to those two is saying goodbye to respectability and hello to decade of darkness 2.0.

I'm not going to watch that bullshit again.
His home at CP
Obviously you're upset over the Leafs lack of success in the playoffs. Cheer up buddy. Anything is possible.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Saying goodbye to Draisaitl is saying goodbye to McDavid. Saying goodbye to those two is saying goodbye to respectability and hello to decade of darkness 2.0.

I'm not going to watch that bullshit again.

Obviously you're upset over the Leafs lack of success in the playoffs. Cheer up buddy. Anything is possible.
But where are you getting the idea that Leon is gone? I mean all signs are pointing to the opposite. Unless you think specs questions yesterday and Leon’s refusal to commit to them is the sign. Personally I’m more convinced he is staying now than I was before the playoffs started

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad