Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The league min jumped by 500k the year after weight took market value. Can you not see the correlation between the two? Weight took more money and everyone else’s salary increased in turn. I realize there was no salary cap in 2001/2002.

Mine too I was so shook when he had to be dealt to the Blues. My info comes from an interview I listened to about 10 years ago where Doug was reflecting on his time with the Oilers. Fun fact the Oilers had a trade in place for Weight at the 06 deadline but Carolina ended up getting him because of time constraints on deadline day.
We almost traded FOR Weight in 06???

Reactions: McTonyBrar

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The league min jumped by 500k the year after weight took market value. Can you not see the correlation between the two? Weight took more money and everyone else’s salary increased in turn. I realize there was no salary cap in 2001/2002.

Doug Weight signed a contract in 2001.

The only information I can find about a league minimum precap is this:

Minimum NHL salary
2001-02 $165,000;
2002-03 $175,000;
2003-04 $180,000;
2004-05 $185,000

I'm not sure why you think Doug Weight plays into minimum league salary. You're making wild connections.

Minimum salary rose when the league brought in a salary cap.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Minimum NHL salary
2001-02 $165,000;
2002-03 $175,000;
2003-04 $180,000;
2004-05 $185,000

I'm not sure why you think Doug Weight plays into minimum league salary. You're making wild connections.

Maybe it was the average salaries increased. I recall that time and Weight taking heat from the PA.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Maybe it was the average salaries increased. I recall that time and Weight taking heat from the PA.

I'm sure he did take heat from the PA. It was a different economic system... so the high end players could get whatever they deserved.

Doug was making 8 million a year over 20 years ago.

Thats 14+ million today.

Jagr was making the modern equivalent of 19.5 million

Last edited:
Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Minimum NHL salary
2001-02 $165,000;
2002-03 $175,000;
2003-04 $180,000;
2004-05 $185,000

Interesting I found different number when searching on brave. I’m going off the interview he had on 1260 about 10 years ago where he discussed the PA demanding he take market value because lower tier players were complaining

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
People were saying the same thing about Broberg. He came in and babysat Nurse the whole time haha. If Lavoie plays next season and does well, people will ask why we didn't at least play him in the playoffs when he was healthy and most of the players were banged up

No, nobody was saying Lavoie was the most dominant player in games like Broberg. Not even close. He wasn't even that close to Holloway.

I genuinely don't believe the Oilers see Lavoie as a real option. He's a good scorer at the AHL level, hopefully he can play pro, but it took him 4 years to get the AHL. He's slow, and has a long history of work ethic and attitude problems, and has had a lot of defensive lapses -- that is the opposite of what the Oilers want/need

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No, nobody was saying Lavoie was the most dominant player in games like Broberg. Not even close. He wasn't even that close to Holloway.

I genuinely don't believe the Oilers see Lavoie as a real option. He's a good scorer at the AHL level, hopefully he can play pro, but it took him 4 years to get the AHL. He's slow, and has a long history of work ethic and attitude problems, and has had a lot of defensive lapses -- that is the opposite of what the Oilers want/need
Is Holloway even a prospect anymore? I left him out cause I feel like he has played as many NHL games to be graduated. Outside of Broberg, which prospect was more dominant than Lavoie? If we are writing off Lavoie, we might as well write off the rest of the guys

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Is Holloway even a prospect anymore? I left him out cause I feel like he has played as many NHL games to be graduated. Outside of Broberg, which prospect was more dominant than Lavoie? If we are writing off Lavoie, we might as well write off the rest of the guys
Trying to remember the guys name but he played a few games this and scored a big goal. His celly was directed to the sky. Anyone remember who it was?

hoping it wasn’t OBC incompetence. But it sounds like it may have been.
That was the one year the OBC was money there was no incompetence before Pronger broke Klowes brain :laugh: I guess the Comrie fiasco counts but that year he was perfect.

Reactions: Canovin

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Apologies if already posted. Haven’t been around much since we lost.

Sean Walker would be a good upgrade along with Broberg on RD over Ceci and VD.

Most sign point to Henrique trying to convince his wife to come here for a few years. I would say 60/40 he re ups barring Mrs Henrique lowering the boom.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Good weather taints these boys..

They never want to live winter ever again once they've lived wealthy California life.

I get it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yup. We also had a trade for Dean McAmmond lined up but the paperwork didn't go through at the deadline in time. Now imagine if we had both in 2006..
Pretty f***in crazy. We were trying to get the boys back together for a run. We would have won a Cup if those trades happened. No doubt in my mind considering how close we were at that run.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Pretty f***in crazy. We were trying to get the boys back together for a run. We would have won a Cup if those trades happened. No doubt in my mind considering how close we were at that run.
Considering Weight was a huge part of the Canes run before he got injured I would agree with that. Imagine Weight Smyth and Hemmer during that run 😲

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Drai isn't dumb he's not tipping his hand. He's going to get his 13.5- 14 million when Casper ghosts likes Matthew's makes what he makes. McDavid will get his 15sh.

Nurse hopefully fuks off. Campbell too.

I won't feel sorry for any of them if they stay and take top dollar. Won't blame them either.

Next gm is going to have to be hella creative

When your 9.25 dman plays like a 3rd pair and you have a goalie who makes 5 and can't even play, you are not giving any breaks.

You pass that generational wealth down

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Drai isn't dumb he's not tipping his hand. He's going to get his 13.5- 14 million when Casper ghosts likes Matthew's makes what he makes. McDavid will get his 15sh.

Nurse hopefully fuks off. Campbell too.

I won't feel sorry for any of them if they stay and take top dollar. Won't blame them either.

Next gm is going to have to be hella creative
If the cap continues to rise in the next 3 years (looking very likely) I really don’t see us having an issue re signing Leon Connor and Evan. Projected numbers are close to 100 million by the time Connor needs his new deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad