Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wouldn’t make to many changes to the team. You want to keep the momentum going.

Get a top 6 RW, a partner for Nurse, try to keep the 3rd line together and a reliable 1B goalie.

RNH-Mcdavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-xxx
Janmark-Rico-Brown
Kane-McLeod-xxx

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-xxx
Broberg-Ceci

Skinner
xxx

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn’t make to many changes to the team. You want to keep the momentum going.

Get a top 6 RW, a partner for Nurse, try to keep the 3rd line together and a reliable 1B goalie.

RNH-Mcdavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-xxx
Janmark-Rico-Brown
Kane-McLeod-xxx

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-xxx
Broberg-Ceci

Skinner
xxx
Losing Kulak but keeping Ceci is a wild scenario.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I want it so badly to be nurse.

But realistically it’ll be Ceci, maybe Campbell, Ryan, maybe McLeod, maybe foegele, Perry

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
if Quenneville gets re instated, the oil should go after him, make your current coach an assistant if hed take it.

Rasmus Anderson should be a significant target,(i know hell be costly) ditto for kostim. You need a couple bigger guys upfront, klim is a start.

Out: Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, ceci,,cambell, ryan, kane-I like him but hes always hurt and now has a serious injury that you never fully recover from.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Why wouldn't he make it through? Teams only keep 2 goalies, and he has no NHL experience. Most teams have a goalie prospect they like as much as we like Rodrigue.

I wouldn't take that chance. I don't think there is a ton of difference between Rod and Pickard. Top 10 sav% in the ahl. At a perfect age for the nhl as a goalie backup.

I'm taking a chance with Rod if his pre-season is good. Now that Skinner is more established.
I would not have at the start of this season.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I've heard that too. And unfortunately, that essentially means we can kiss our depth goodbye.

By the time the cap catches up, both will be 30+ years old. Guess the individual records will be the memories I'll need to cherish. On pace for extremely disappointing.

Every team has to manage some ugliness on the cap. If this one can’t, might as well relocate and move on.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Jackson handles free agency and the draft and they hire someone closer to the start of the season. It’s simply too short of a turn around
That’s unfortunate though. Most important offseason in McDavids career and we won’t have a GM for the entire thing?

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

RNH-Mcdavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-xxx
Janmark-Rico-Brown
Kane-McLeod-xxx

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-xxx
Broberg-Ceci

Skinner
xxx
For the most part I agree, but I think the money might be tight to do all that. If Kane is on your fourth line, that 5.125 million might be better used on a RW for Drai. I also probably keep Kulak over Ceci.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hope after this run, McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard all take a little bit less on their future deals to build a better team. Because they are going to need more help especially as they get older. I don’t blame them if they don’t though.

It will be interesting to see what Jackson does. But based on playoff success and such a short turnaround due to bogus NHL scheduling, I don’t think we will see much in terms of big moves. I do think there are some bigger moves that should be considered and at least explored. I really hope we can see him get creative and find a way to move out some contracts. The team really needs to find a way to create some more cap space.

I really hope we can move Campbell without a buy out. I just hate dead cap. But the asset cost to move him probably isn’t that likely.

I think they really need to consider moving Nurse. Once again I think it’s unlikely and difficult but I think it needs to be explored.

Kane is probably the last one but is quite a bit below the other two. I think this one I would leave more on the medical staff’s opinion. It just doesn’t feel like he fits anywhere on this team. Doesn’t feel like he fits in the top 6 and doesn’t want to play in the bottom 6. How much is injury related though? For a guy who never really felt productive he was actually fairly productive though in the regular season. He is a bit of a unicorn though when hes on. If the medical/organization think he will bounce back after healing I guess that’s good. It just feels like hes going to drop off a cliff from the outside looking in though.

Reactions: McDoused

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Give Broberg a full season at RD with Nurse. I would be ok bringing back Ceci and Kulak as a bottom pair, albeit a pricey one. That would mean Vinny gone. Someone will overpay him. Dump McLeod anywhere. Try to keep Foegele if the $ is reasonable. Prioritize Henrique, Janmark and Brown.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am interested to see what Jackson does with the defense. I suspect that JJ/KK/PC have already discussed this and will continue to discuss it.

I think they should build around Bouchard, Ekholm and Broberg.

They really need a better middle pair though.

I think there combinations of Broberg, Kulak, Ceci and VD work as a third pairing. But I think they need to bring in a D upgrade especially since Nurse is inadequate. This team just can’t keep playing Ceci or VD higher in the lineup. I also don’t know if Nurse-Broberg really works because Nurse needs so much babysitting.

But since we have so little turn around due to NHL scheduling, I wouldn’t be surprised if we just roll with:

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci

Boring.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Good news is they've got enough cap space to keep the band together. However there are a few questions that need to be asked.

RD on the 2nd and 3rd pairings. Nurse needs a speedy partner, and Kulak and Broberg have both looked good there. So are you happy giving that experiment a season to play out, or do you target someone like Carrier or Brodie, who are true RD?
3rd pairing: Ceci or Vinny? Or go with Kulak-Broberg and a true 2nd pairing RHD acquired?

Imo the correct move is trading Ceci at the draft and re-signing Vinny to a contract that's around 2/per. Keep Broberg with Nurse.

Goalie? Campbell's likely bought out, but do you ride it back with Pickard at around 1mil, or do they need a more proven option pushing Skinner?

Re-signing the 3rd line or something similar should be a must. I don't think Janmark and Brown should be difficult. I really want to Henrique, as I love his versatility; though I can see him being in demand come July. He is coming off a fairly fat contract, so maybe he's willing to take a little less to try and win? Though I'd have time for Wennberg as a Plan B. Faska or Sturm could also be trade targets as a Plan C.

I'd also love some top 6 help. Nothing to expensive, I'd prefer this to be a bargain bin, end of summer, 1 year prove-it deal. Think like Tatar of this past offseason. This is just so Holloway (or Lavoie) needs to earn his way into the top 9, even if I do think he will be a McWinger sooner rather than later.

Imo the correct starting point is this...
1719307166374.png

That leaves you 4mil to play with for the top 6, and/or to upgrade in net/on defence.
(1 mil to any depth defenceman, I just went with Stecher for convenience)

Not sure how they'd ever afford to acquire him, but Buchnevich at 50% would be the ultimate fit to round off that group.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
if Quenneville gets re instated, the oil should go after him, make your current coach an assistant if hed take it.

Rasmus Anderson should be a significant target,(i know hell be costly) ditto for kostim. You need a couple bigger guys upfront, klim is a start.

Out: Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, ceci,,cambell, ryan, kane-I like him but hes always hurt and now has a serious injury that you never fully recover from.
Let me get this straight. You think Knoblauch of all people is the issue?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we are in a tough position in trying to upgrade some positions. The 3.555 carry over bonus hurts. I wonder if the caps take Kane for picks? I am looking to free up money.

We know we are buying out Campbell.

Cap Hit Calculations​

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
EDM)
2024-25$5,400,000$5,000,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$3,900,000$1,100,000
2025-26$4,200,000$5,000,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$2,700,000$2,300,000
2026-27$3,900,000$5,000,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$2,400,000$2,600,000
2027-28$0$0$0$1,500,000$1,500,000-$1,500,000$1,500,000
2028-29$0$0$0$1,500,000$1,500,000-$1,500,000$1,500,000
2029-30$0$0$0$1,500,000$1,500,000-$1,500,000$1,500,000
TOTAL$13,500,000$15,000,000$0$9,000,000$9,000,000$4,500,000$10,500,000

We have both Leon and Bouchard signed only for one more year and McDavid for 2. We need to win next year

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
LTIRetire Campbell for mental health reasons. The 5 million in dead cap is beyond crippling and so is the dead cap if we buy him out.

I wonder if tanev would be open to taking a discount to play here. Has signed with Vancouver and Calgary for cheap in the past. Pesce would be the dream target but would obviously be more pricey with no western Canada connection. Other RHD options are demelo and carrier. Do not get Sean walker, bad player who is was actually worse than Ceci prior to this breakout season and basically solo lost Colorado their series vs Dallas. Nurse contract is untraceable unfortunately so we're stuck with trying to make it work with him. The cope is that he did look much better with broberg and was probably playing injured this run. Trade away Ceci and kulak for whatever you can get and get a true top 4 RHD and round out the bottom pair/7d with budget options (Broberg and can include vd if he takes under 2 mil).

For forwards go for guys who can play top 6 with a history of taking discounts to go cup hunting. Pat Kane, duchene, duclair etx. then throw in some budget guys with upside. Can include brown and janmark if they're willing to stay for under a mil (brown still basically owes us back pay for the 4 million this season anyway lol).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hope after this run, McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard all take a little bit less on their future deals to build a better team. Because they are going to need more help especially as they get older. I don’t blame them if they don’t though.

It will be interesting to see what Jackson does. But based on playoff success and such a short turnaround due to bogus NHL scheduling, I don’t think we will see much in terms of big moves. I do think there are some bigger moves that should be considered and at least explored. I really hope we can see him get creative and find a way to move out some contracts. The team really needs to find a way to create some more cap space.

I really hope we can move Campbell without a buy out. I just hate dead cap. But the asset cost to move him probably isn’t that likely.

I think they really need to consider moving Nurse. Once again I think it’s unlikely and difficult but I think it needs to be explored.

Kane is probably the last one but is quite a bit below the other two. I think this one I would leave more on the medical staff’s opinion. It just doesn’t feel like he fits anywhere on this team. Doesn’t feel like he fits in the top 6 and doesn’t want to play in the bottom 6. How much is injury related though? For a guy who never really felt productive he was actually fairly productive though in the regular season. He is a bit of a unicorn though when hes on. If the medical/organization think he will bounce back after healing I guess that’s good. It just feels like hes going to drop off a cliff from the outside looking in though.
Nurse isn't waiving his NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad