Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Scrapin Ice

Oct 25, 2024
Hey I remember you! Why the new account?
Broke the same rule twice. Was warned. Banished to the badlands for a year. New name/account is me saying I will play nice.

You know sometimes you go to the grocery store and buy some apple turnovers and you get them home and they end up having a cherry filling.

Last edited:

Scrapin Ice

Oct 25, 2024
Give the team some runway before spending the limited trade capital on limited players.
So your saying stick with Dermott and J. Brown. as the depth and depend on Emberson ( 35ish games played) to step into the top 4. Stecher probably rounds into a third pair guy.

Nurse 'needs' a foil.
Emberson has learned to make nice safe short passes but he can hardly headman the puck out of trouble or up into offense. Maybe he never learns this.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So your saying stick with Dermott and J. Brown. as the depth and depend on Emberson ( 35ish games played) to step into the top 4. Stecher probably rounds into a third pair guy.
I'm saying that Darnell should step up to the plate and start carrying a pairing like he's supposed to, regardless of who the partner is.

Kovacevic would just be another Emberson/Brown half measure, because he similarly has zero evidence he'd thrive in that role.

If they waived him, sure, claim him. But I'm sure as hell not giving up the 2nd for him.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Scrapin Ice

Oct 25, 2024
I'm saying that Darnell should step up to the plate and start carrying a pairing like he's supposed to, regardless of who the partner is.

Kovacevic would just be another Emberson/Brown half measure, because he similarly has zero evidence he'd thrive in that role.

If they waived him, sure, claim him. But I'm sure as hell not giving up the 2nd for him.
That ship has sailed on Darnell. He is what he is. There is lots of evidence that Kovacevic can play top 4. Also unlike Bear he can skate backwards and close gap excellently lol. Plus if you want a warrior in a fight or a war this guy you want this guy on your side. Kovacevic can pass very well and while he may not have the vision of a Nemec or a Jiricek he does have what we need.
The second is getting them to take Dermott as well so we maintain our cap space now and later.
Right handed D come at a premium especially in-season, don't they?
Have a look at Kovacevic's numbers this season as well.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That ship has sailed on Darnell. He is what he is. There is lots of evidence that Kovacevic can play top 4. Also unlike Bear he can skate backwards and close gap excellently lol. Plus if you want a warrior in a fight or a war this guy you want this guy on your side. Kovacevic can pass very well and while he may not have the vision of a Nemec or a Jiricek he does have what we need.
The second is getting them to take Dermott as well so we maintain our cap space now and later.
Right hand come at a premium especially in-season, don't they?
Darnell is what he is, and that is a top four defenseman who averages about 30 even strength points a year and plays an integral role on the team's PK.

Kovacevic is a player that no team has chosen to commit a permanent role to. If NJ is the first, then all the power to them and I'll wait and see on what they do with Nemec. If Kovacevic falls out of favor as quickly as he has in other markets, he'll be available out there for a late pick or on waivers.

The Oilers are best to stand pat on defense and accumulate deadline cap space so they can address their areas of need from a deeper pool of available players.

Reactions: The Nuge and Spawn

Scrapin Ice

Oct 25, 2024
Darnell is what he is, and that is a top four defenseman who averages about 30 even strength points a year and plays an integral role on the team's PK.

Kovacevic is a player that no team has chosen to commit a permanent role to. If NJ is the first, then all the power to them and I'll wait and see on what they do with Nemec. If Kovacevic falls out of favor as quickly as he has in other markets, he'll be available out there for a late pick or on waivers.

The Oilers are best to stand pat on defense and accumulate deadline cap space so they can address their areas of need from a deeper pool of available players.
Agreed Darnell is quite valuable but needs the right partner.
Obviously we would run a team differently and see roles differently and assess cap space and long term strategy differently.
Our player evaluation are at odds as well. For example i thought Montreal moved on from Kovy because of Reinbacher we expected to move up as well as Mallioux who was knocking really hard.

To each their own.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
You’re probably right here. As much as I want a dman right now, it’s not happening unless the season is at risk early.

This is the plan, they’re gonna let Stecher/Dermott/Emberson try to find their way. To my eye they actually are improving after a few games, so hopefully they can hold it down until we add a legit top 4 dman.

Reactions: TB12

Scrapin Ice

Oct 25, 2024
You’re probably right here. As much as I want a dman right now, it’s not happening unless the season is at risk early.

This is the plan, they’re gonna let Stecher/Dermott/Emberson try to find their way. To my eye they actually are improving after a few games, so hopefully they can hold it down until we add a legit top 4 dman.
So last game they moved kulak up to play beside Nurse. And this game tonight they are doing the same. Emberson and Stecher are playing basic holding the fort hockey.
Your good with this then. I think this is far from ideal and it will take along time before Ember is ready if ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad