Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
meh. The 80's Oilers had several players that were hard to manage. Anderson, Fuhr, Coffey, Mess. Mess would break every rule the team had early in career and show up at the wrong airport or not at all for flights. One of the biggest tasks early was finding him room mates that wouldn't have him out drinking till 2am. The club intentionally got guys like Fogolin, to help manage some of these players.

Good orgs take people that are of value and work around what would be considered their behavioral challenges. You do that because the talent is on the ice and the only important thing is having the best players on the ice and winning. So that you take the attributes and work with them. Glen Sather built a legend team doing that. He also considered himself having a father role looking after some of the players.

Broberg knew he was good and acted accordingly. He's proving his worth as well and probably continues to. Not making any comparisons at all, just saying you have to manage prospects and see them as that. Not as whiny ass bitches.

It was obvious Desharnais was only here due to being a Woodcrap favorite. What org plays a nothing D like that over a real talent. You and others keep saying Bro was given all the chances and yet he's a D, and young D take time to develop, and its worth the squeeze taking that time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vinny drawing in coincide with the oilers winning 16 straight and Nurse looking passable?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vinny drawing in coincide with the oilers winning 16 straight and Nurse looking passable?
I don't think that coincided. I got tired of Desharnais when he let himself run unchecked at times over escalating. Seemed to have a lot of trouble managing himself once he got escalated. This included screaming at officials, shouting them down. Shit like that doesn't go well as right or wrong they are officiating the games. Desharnais just seemed to get unglued to me and at critical times. I wasn't a big fan beyond his initial entry here. Like I said he lost me at around 20 games. He was fill anyway, and this seemed clear. Team apparently felt they needed some more net clearing in there and physicality but Desharnais can't fight either so his gesticulating and screaming at opponents seemed unbaked. Glad the org doesn't have him anymore.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Thriving isn't the right word but they all have found a good spot on their new teams and getting respect. Foegele is averaging more TOI than he has in past. Don't think he is getting 20 ever again . Ceci is also not a punching bag anymore.

You're not making any sense.

You're saying that Foegele producing less while playing more is a positive and that the expectations from fans of a team that are openly tanking are lower for Ceci than the fanbase trying to win a championship? Do I have that right?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
2.2M for Holloway was nothing. Could've had him for under 2 if we showed more intent and didn't go hunting for Arvidsson/Skinner.
Broberg was sour on this organization due to how he was managed. Don't think we had a shot at signing him. We basically chose Kulak over Broberg which is fine I guess
2M is too much for Holloway. The guy was a throw in piece in the Broberg offersheet. The guy the Oilers could use is Broberg.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
meh. A lot of the stats are who he was on ice with based are they not?

Last season was odd too as during the 16 game streak particularly I don't feel any clubs were playing us hard or particularly well.

Soon as the Oilers got to the biggest challenges of playoffs, Dallas and Florida, Desharnais needed to be replaced. Too slow, getting walked. Broberg speed helped immensely in these last two series.

I don't agree that the eyetest said Desharnais was walking on water out there.

In anycase larger story is you develop your top D prospects and not invest so heavily in the placeholders. Regardless if thats Desharnais, Kulak, whoever, Broberg needed opportunity to be in the lineup to develop and well run org gives it to him.

Look, I don't disagree with your broader point: the Oilers had something in Broberg and needed to put it to the test before losing it. You can look up my posts (lol nearly EVERY ONE of my posts) from last summer. I felt strongly that the ONLY choice Edmonton had was to jettison one of Kulak or Ceci, roll with Broberg and Desharnais, and bank cap space for the deadline when they could add a better D-man. That's on record and would have avoided the situation we find ourselves in.

However, I will STRONGLY disagree with the Desharnais vs Broberg narrative you are putting forward. It didn't exist and it doesn't need to. Desharnais was never going to be a top-4, therefore he wasn't/shouldn't be competing with Broberg. Broberg wasn't in the lineup because they wanted him to have top-2/all situations minutes in the AHL so that he would emerge as a top-4 defender on the big team. But we didn't have any injuries and management wouldn't get rid of Ceci or Kulak.

As for Desharnais, he will only ever be a bottom pairing guy, but he was one of the best in the league. And any contender needs role-players who do one job and do it well.

Desharnais was an elite level defensive D-man with a role to play and all of the stats are on my side.

But here's a simple one for you: over the last two years total goals scored against at EV while on ice among players with a minimum of 80gp.
* 1st place with 42GA in 114gp = Desharnais
* The next 8 positions are held by guys who only played 80-90 games
Obviously this is a pretty blunt instrument, but you didn't like the rate-based stats I shared earlier, even though they say the same thing.

The bottom line here is that when Desharnais was on the ice, the puck did not go in our net. Period.

If you like the fancier stuff... 66th percentile for EV defense and 99th percentile for PK clearly shows he's a pretty elite role player.

1729777256029.png

I don't think that coincided. I got tired of Desharnais when he let himself run unchecked at times over escalating. Seemed to have a lot of trouble managing himself once he got escalated. This included screaming at officials, shouting them down. Shit like that doesn't go well as right or wrong they are officiating the games. Desharnais just seemed to get unglued to me and at critical times. I wasn't a big fan beyond his initial entry here. Like I said he lost me at around 20 games. He was fill anyway, and this seemed clear. Team apparently felt they needed some more net clearing in there and physicality but Desharnais can't fight either so his gesticulating and screaming at opponents seemed unbaked. Glad the org doesn't have him anymore.

First, I liked his passion... team needs more of that.

Second, Hockeyfights.com disagrees with you. He won 3/4 fights last year and drew the other.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think it'll take about 20 games before the Oilers really settle in. They lost a lot of players and also gain a lot of new players. It's essentially a mini retool. The chemistry is going to take some time.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
From what I read, he just didn't want a pto. He 0nly wanted full on NHL contract.

I guarantee if the Oil offered him the Dermott contract he'd have signed.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I have say it’s pretty comical that they are willing to move nurse over to accommodate Travis Dermott….desperate times…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad