Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think part of the problem is we didn't have any certainty at LD until we got Ekholm at the deadline in 2023. Broberg's true opportunity was when we had Nurse - Kulak - XX on the left side, but he didn't do anything with it.

In the 2023 off season losing Kulak wasn't an option because we had nobody of any experience behind him to play.
Broberg wasn't ready yet, and deservedly got shuffled out when Ekholm was acquired.

Could he have been given more opportunity? Sure, maybe. But he wasn't out playing any of the LD such that he should step in above them, and was getting out played by Desharnais on 3RD. Could a move have been made to dump Ceci and play him on the right side with Nurse? Maybe, but that's a role that Broberg at that point had given no indication he could fill.

He's more a victim of bad timing and circumstance than being hard done by by the organization IMO.
Kulak was a third pairing defenseman. And by that point it had been made plenty obvious that he was not capable of handling the larger role. Most teams, including Stanley Cup contenders don't fill those roles with guys making salaries that approach $3m.

This is a team that attracts misfit veteran players because of their current situation. Zero reason why they wouldn't have been able to fill that role the same way a team like Florida consistently does.

Broberg needed runway to succeed in the NHL like most players do. He never got that here because the organization was too attached to its veterans.

Negative Nancy Crew major in hindsight
That would be true if I wasn't consistent in my opinion that moving Kulak was always the move that had to be made.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Kulak was a third pairing defenseman. And by that point it had been made plenty obvious that he was not capable of handling the larger role. Most teams, including Stanley Cup contenders don't fill those roles with guys making salaries that approach $3m.

This is a team that attracts misfit veteran players because of their current situation. Zero reason why they wouldn't have been able to fill that role the same way a team like Florida consistently does.

Broberg needed runway to succeed in the NHL like most players do. He never got that here because the organization was too attached to its veterans.

That would be true if I wasn't consistent in my opinion that moving Kulak was always the move that had to be made.

Never said you were part of that crew :D If you recall, I didn't disagree with that idea either

Reactions: belair

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's such dishonest dialogue when posters who called Broberg a bust last year at this same time can turn around and say "last year he was ready to play and ready for his minutes."

Always a great conversation when you can just pretend you are always in the right.
We already went over this lol. You talk about being dishonest and then pretend like there aren’t direct quotes saying exactly the bold last September.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No, not because Broberg was better, but because he was easily ready to step in and play the ~14 min a night Kulak needed to play last season and because it would have saved the team $2m in space.
He wasn't "easily ready to step in". That's some serious hindsight you're working with to think that Broberg can easily step in for Kulak who was one of the Oilers better playoff performers of any Dman the previous few seasons. Broberg looked like shit in preseason when the opportunity was there just like he had the previous preaseason, he was NOT ready to take a spot then the Oilers were 2-9-1- then 5-12 or something like that so clearly they weren't in a position to trade Kulak and hand his spot, a guy who was anchoring solid 3rd pairings his entire time here, to a green rookie to fill the role as they tried to dig out of an enormous hole.

Again, lots of hindsight going on here about Broberg's readiness early last season. He then requested a trade because he wasn't handed a spot, shit got messy, then he finally stopped pouting played well in Bakersfield then was ready come playoff time.
The funny thing about this is that the usual suspects would have been bitching and moaning if Kulak was dealt and Broberg was sinking in a role that he was ill equipped to handle at the time. Oilers rushing prospects etc. etc. I can hear it now.

Last edited:

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Really need to fire all pro scouts after the season. Arvidsson so far a dud more expensive yammo at this point. I really don't understand why they didnt go after chychrun whose having a great start to the year they only got a 34 year old dman and a third in return.

Reactions: Echodek

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
We already went over this lol. You talk about being dishonest and then pretend like there aren’t direct quotes saying exactly the bold last September.
Yes, in the preseason you said this. But once the season started, your position changed to "he is in bust territory" and he was a "throw in" for trades.

So, clearly YOU thought he was NOT ready for increased ice time after seeing the start of the season. Your position in the present is one resting on revision.

If Broberg was "easily ready to step in and play" why would you say he was a bust after the start of the season took place? One of you is lying. Last year or this year.

Reactions: North

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, in the preseason you said this. But once the season started, your position changed to "he is in bust territory" and he was a "throw in" for trades.

So, clearly YOU thought he was NOT ready for increased ice time after seeing the start of the season. Your position in the present is one resting on revision.

If Broberg was "easily ready to step in and play" why would you say he was a bust after the start of the season took place? One of you is lying. Last year or this year.
The context of the post you quoted was in the context of equating Broberg to the value of a 1st round pick. At that point in the season Broberg was closer in value to a bust than a 1st rounder.

Somehow you think me suggesting he was ready to play full time as a 3rd pair D-man playing 12-15 minutes a night doesn’t fit with the fact that he was closer in value to a bust than he was a 1st rounder.

Vinny Desharnais played all last season, does that mean he was the equivalent of a 1st rounder?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It's such dishonest dialogue when posters who called Broberg a bust last year at this same time can turn around and say "last year he was ready to play and ready for his minutes."

Always a great conversation when you can just pretend you are always in the right.
Meanwhile having zero patience whatsoever for someone like Emberson

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why are people still thinking we could have signed Broberg and Holloway? They held out for offersheets since the winter when they were offered an extension
2.2M for Holloway was nothing. Could've had him for under 2 if we showed more intent and didn't go hunting for Arvidsson/Skinner.
Broberg was sour on this organization due to how he was managed. Don't think we had a shot at signing him. We basically chose Kulak over Broberg which is fine I guess

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I’m begging for everybody’s sanity please make a separate thread for Broberg and Holloway talk.
Can we still talk about Lavoie, McLeod (4 goals already and insane on the dot) Foegele (seems to be thriving) and Ceci(top pairing in SJ)?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My point is he had demonstrated a run of NHL ability with the Bouchard ten+ game run and anecdotally going back to the first month of his first pro season in North America. He owns accountability for his uneven development but took the final demotion and absolutely killed it. Then kept his head above water in Final 4 Stanley Cup playoffs.

The Oilers fiddled and diddled with an important bluechip asset for years and got badly burned when the market valued him differently. They shouldn't have been surprised. Now their post August 12 reactive contingency planning is rotating four journeymen #7-8 RD with a PK that's underwater.

The frustrating part of this whole scenario is that Holland was supposed to be the master developer and he fell flat on that front.

Reactions: brentashton

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
So Draisaitl is like second in hits and leads the team in PIM’s, how f***ed up is that?
He wears a sniper/ playmaker hat and his frustration to the abuse he’s taken is only ramping up.
Our garbage management goes out and gets Josh Brown, are you f***ing kidding me? If management wanted a bruiser why would you get a defenceman that gets turnstiled on every shift and is virtually unplayable. If you want a heavyweight it has to be a winger, no if’s, and’s or buts.
But here we are, with a coach who doesn’t value hitting and our 2 stars sitting 2-3 in hits and taking dumb penalties to exorcise their frustrations.
Good times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad